Lob wedge is probably the most used wedge in my bag and really the most versatile as well. I say get one and learn how to use it. If you get some proficiency there you're only going to improve your short game options. Doesn't really need to be a flop club either. I have probably hit less than 10 true flop shots in the last 18 months on the course.

I would agree with this...I use my 58* wedge more than any of my other wedges.

I always use my 60 degree lob wedge for around the green shots, I can either lob it high for a tight pin or play it off my back foot and close the face for a bump and run. You need a lot of practice to do this but as you can see in my avatar I have my own green in my back yard,Lots and lots of good practice.

I love my 60* wedge. I say it can't hurt to have it on hand and work on being proficient with it. Don't be afraid of it, despite what people say about it being a difficult club to master.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love my 60º. I find it very easy to control the distance on a 3/4 shot, it just stops and drops. Around the green I only use it when necessary, either on an elevated green or if I need to hit over an obstacle. Very confident with it.

very interesting thread. i also use my 60 almost exclusively under 80 yards. its just another club, it does not take a magician to use it. seems that there is a huge fear of the "LW" out there!!!!

I had pulled my 60* and just put it back in the bag as changing irons left me a slot.

I love having it in the bag as it's my 100-95 and in club, I've done tons of practice with it and use it for the majority of my green side shots.

If your going with a Lob spend tons of time practicing with get to know it well, real well! Try and wear the grooves off of it. But if you don't use your 56 that much then I'd suggest not picking one up and use that slot for something you'll use more often.

I use the Cleveland 58* S wedge and really like it. It has that wide flange but really is pretty easy to hit off of ground and super easy to hit from the sand. I plan to keep it for a while.

I use the Cleveland 58* S wedge and really like it. It has that wide flange but really is pretty easy to hit off of ground and super easy to hit from the sand. I plan to keep it for a while.

Ditto Dawgster! That little fat butted rascal is a stud puppy from the sand :golf2:

I ditched the LW and replaced it with a 52. I use to use it all the time but started using my 56 for everything inside 100. I struggled hitting a 1/2 to 3/4 PW so the 52 filled the gap between it and the 56 nicely!

I always use my 60 degree lob wedge for around the green shots, I can either lob it high for a tight pin or play it off my back foot and close the face for a bump and run. You need a lot of practice to do this but as you can see in my avatar I have my own green in my back yard,Lots and lots of good practice.

Great looking backyard!

I'd like to know how many pros use a lob wedge from 100 yards. To me it's the wrong club, hard to control trajectory for one and what's the point of bringing the ball in from a mile in the air with ice crystals on it? Learn to hit different yardages and trajectories with lower lofted wedges and leave the lob wedge to do it's job from the sand and hitting high chips etc.
A.H.A

I'd like to know how many pros use a lob wedge from 100 yards. To me it's the wrong club, hard to control trajectory for one and what's the point of bringing the ball in from a mile in the air with ice crystals on it? Learn to hit different yardages and trajectories with lower lofted wedges and leave the lob wedge to do it's job from the sand and hitting high chips etc.
A.H.A

I agree with you on this and think a variety of shots is needed. To answer your question, I like a good number of pros use their highest loft wedge from 100. But they are at the top of our food chain with golf clubs. This isn't anything I'd recommend to the average duffer

To all of those comments referring to "fear", it's not fear. It's a fact that the higher lofted clubs require more precise ball striking to be consistent with them. If a player lacks that precision, or doesn't have the time to devote to practicing with a single club, then they are simply not a good choice. A mistake with a 60 is usually more serious than a mistake with a 51.

I've owned 58, 60 and 64 degree wedges at one time or another. I spent time practicing with them. I was great around the practice green, but when it came to using it on course the once or twice a round (which was the most I ever needed it), the consistency was lacking. I had (and still have) much more success chipping with my 51 GW (or past equivalent). I have no "fear" of a LW, it is simply not the most appropriate tool for the job most of the time.

More loft = more opportunity for trouble and getting cute instead of hitting the logical shot. Its why I won't carry anything over 58 ever again, and in fact I've been tempted to carry only a 56.

To each his own... I personally love my lob wedge. I hate hitting 1/2 swing shots so I have it to take full swings within 70 yards and around the greens except for extreme up hill chips. But on the other hand if you dont practice with it, it can be the most frustrating club in the bag. For me deep rough and tight lies are a no go for using it. If you step up to the shot with the confidence that you are going to hit a good shot then you are already half way there.

A.H.A

I use mine regularly from 100 and in and can hit multiple trajectories with it. On my home course being above the hole is trouble so knowing the ball will be where it hits is a huge bonus on several greens.

If you have the right ball and wedge..lob is a great choice .. I know chip and roll is like a putt , just hard to determine how much it will roll from day to day . I love lobbing right at it .. The last few weeks I have been trying different golf balls .. The red pro v 1 spins like crazy for me
Yeah if I'm playing a crazy fast green i usually put the PW away for chips and can be a little more aggressive with my 60 degree. It's probably the club i feel most confident with. I love being 50 yards out and knowing exactly the swing i need to get there. I do sometimes get well under the turf and hit it 10 yards from time to time, but I'm getting a ton more consistent.

I bag a PW, AW, and a 60*. At 45*, 50*, and 60*, I have a slight gap but it never seems to affect me.

Around the green I'll use my PW all day long. From the sand, I hit my 60* unless I'm sitting on top of a a hard packed bunker where I can pick the ball cleanly with a PW. Out in the FW from anywhere over 80 yards, I'll use either the PW or AW depending on distance. If I'm inside of that, it's a 60* wedge.

On my home course, I have 2 elevated greens that will see a 60* approach every time. It's just too hard to hold the green with anything that doesn't come from that high of a trajectory. A lot of the time it's even hard to hold with a 60*.

At one point I changed from playing a 52 56 60 to just a 52 and a 58 and I was doing well. I think a versatile high lofted sand wedge will do as good of a job as just a lob wedge. I currently use Taylormade ATV wedges but may reconfigure my set to play a 50 54 58.
I find myself using the "lob" wedge a lot, and it's really fun to use but it has been my experience that full shots are much harder for me with a high lofted wedge.

I use my 60 degree more than any other club. 90 yards and in, out of high bunkers, green side chips outside of bump n run range but rarely for flops. out of a bunker is honestly 95% of the time that I open the club face. I've actually considered putting a 64 degree in the bag but have no club to replace it with. lob wedge FTW

The lob wedge is the most used wedge I have. I use it everywhere. I would never give up that spot in my bag!

Great, great responses all. Thank you. Like the driver on the other side of the spectrum it comes down to practice and practical. I have many friends that hammer away with a driver and it can get ugly. But for whatever reason they will not take out a FW, 3W, etc. Will keep practicing and apply when it seems practical. Thanks again.

I love my 60*. I use it a ton. 95 yards and in, flops, lobs, sand, chips, pitches. But i also use my other wedges if the shot calls for it so you just have to trust the club for the shot.

Lob wedge is also one of my favorites. 75-80 yards full swing and everything to 5' off the green.

Close shots:
I mainly have 3 shots with it:
Lean it forward and use almost a putter stroke. Highly controllable and easy to get the distance correct.

When you need a little loft or dont have enough green to work with or desire more spin. I out a little wrist into it but don't ever come past the slot position. This is good for 10-30 yards I find.

Third shot is normal swing about 50% to 100%. Lots of spin. Either stops or 1 bounces and comes back a little.

Love the 60 degree lob wedge!

Sand shots I use a 56degree with more bounce than the Lob wedge

I've hit some really cool shots over trees with a 62*. If it came down to 14 clubs in the bag the risk/reward probably wouldn't be needed as much as other options. I like a 60* with some bounce. I really like a *58 for everything though. I'll eat the stroke once every 6 rounds than to have to practice another wedge all the time. BUt I would suggest trying it just so you know. The worst thing in golf imho is not knowing if there is a better way.

Back