New Duffer from Chicago's North Shore

jmaier

Reaction score
Handicap
11.5 CDGA
Hello All. I relocated to Evanston, IL from Indianapolis over the winter and I'm looking forward to getting acquainted with the Chicago golfing scene. I'm an independent software consultant which requires a lot of hours but also great flexibility so weekday golf is great for me.

This will be my third golfing season and I'd like to play more frequently. Last year I only played about a dozen times. I've not established an official handicap but I score to USGA rules to the best of my ability and my unofficial handicap on OOBGOLF is currently 12.8.

51st birthday coming up soon and looking forward to making friends and seeing new courses. Any recommendations from other Chicago(ites).

Jeff

Hey Jeff, welcome to THP!

welcome aboard jeff!

Hey Jeff. I live in Chicago and have lived/worked here since 2002. I play numerous courses in Chicagoland... including various courses up north in your neck of the woods. There are plenty of great courses here and you will soon find your favorites. Let me know if you have any questions about particular courses and I can give you my thoughts (if I have played it).

You will likely find that chicagoland courses are a bit more than you are used to. I am not sure what your price point is, but a great-but-moderately-priced course is Thunderhawk. It is a bit further north of you, but well worth the drive.

Interlooper,

Thank you for the recommendation. I was spoiled by golfing in Indianapolis -- lots of reasonably priced quality courses. So far, I've only played Willmette Golf Club and it was a nice little course and a good place to start the year. I'm flexible on pricing but prefer to spend around $50-60 for a typical round (walking). I'll pay a premium price from time to time to play a great course for the experience. I'm really looking forward to trying Cog Hill later in the year after I've warmed up and I need to find a place/club that I can use as a base to develop an official handicap.

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Welcome to THP.

Hello and Welcome!

Welcome, Jeff. I grew up in Wilmette, six blocks from the lake. I still miss Chicago.

welcome!

What? My Dad grew up in Milwaukee. That explains more.

Anything along Chicago's north shore tends to be pretty snooty & expensive. I have traveled thru there many many times. Use to work just outside of Lake Forest & even spent a couple of weeks in their hospital once.....best damn hospital food anywhere, in fact their food would be top shelf at most restaurants.

Well Jeff, welcome to THP. Where it's illegal to stay on topic.

Dyna, the north shore wasn't always like that.

Been that way for at least the past 25+ years.

I use to love scrounging around there when they would their yearly junk haul offs. A lot of the households would literally throw away brand new furniture.

BTW Jeff, welcome.

Hello and :welcome:

Back