Handicap
Don't Know
I have Slazenger Wrath ATX Complete Set:
Oversized Ti Matrix driver with fixed weight
3 wood stainless fairway with fixed weight
2 hybrid irons (4i, 5i)
6-PW stainless irons
Alignment putter

My question is do I just set out with this and see what I can do, or should I already be looking to upgrade a club or 2. ANY suggestions are welcome. I am a beginner that has golfed about 5 times in the past year and just want a good start to a hobby I am already enjoying.

Thanks for all input.

Ben

Have you thought about taking lessons? They make a world of difference!!

norball, you'll hear a lot of great opinions on this topic here. some will say to stick with what you have in order to make sure you want to stick with the game, others will tell you to take lessons (which you should if you can, although, i've never had a lesson due to budgetary constraints), and then there are those that will tell you to consider upgrading your equipment. honestly, i think that today's equipment is extremely helpful. i don't know a lot about the stuff that you are gaming but i also know that the big players in the equipment game make stuff that is extremely forgiving and loaded with the newest/best technology.

i know that this post probably didn't help but you should (if you can) try to do all of the above. i love my equipment. it gives me confidence and that's huge in golf.

Its also a catch 22, you need clubs you can hit with and you need to be able to hit with your clubs.

Right now I dont have the time and/or money to take lessons. I learn what I can from my friends I golf with, but sometimes get down due to being the butt of the jokes and the last man on the totem pole. I have a couple good friends that have offered to help, just wanted to make sure that the equipment I was playing with would not hamper me. If that at all makes sense.

Re: Where to start??

Being a fellow beginner I would take lessons first. I'm sure there's a bunch of instructors out there that are offering starter rates (I got mine for $200 for 6 lessons) start practicing and figuring out your swing. I started out with a slazenger wrath set and it was fine for where I was. I would then get fit for clubs then purchase. I guess that would be the cost effective way to do things.

Right now I dont have the time and/or money to take lessons. I learn what I can from my friends I golf with, but sometimes get down due to being the butt of the jokes and the last man on the totem pole. I have a couple good friends that have offered to help, just wanted to make sure that the equipment I was playing with would not hamper me. If that at all makes sense.

Some may not like my answer, but here it is. I say stick with what you got and instead of playing the next two rounds with your friends, take 2 lessons with that money. In just two lessons, a new world could open up to you.

Just a suggestion here, but try a swing or two with your buddies sticks. Also, most larger courses will allow you to test a club on the range with the hope that you find what you like and will come back and buy it. Try a few and see how they work for you.

i see your dilemma a little more clearly. if you simply can't afford lessons, which i understand, then there's some great websites to check out for some instruction. check out the golf channel's website, sometimes they have some good stuff. perhaps grap a good instructional book. it literally takes 1,000's of swings. swing in the yard, every day. keep a club in your hands every single day.

good luck man, the thing is, we've all been there.

Some may not like my answer, but here it is. I say stick with what you got and instead of playing the next two rounds with your friends, take 2 lessons with that money. In just two lessons, a new world could open up to you.

I agree with JB. Having not taken lessons before, its amazing what a few can do to you...

That being said, the first clubs I upgraded in my set were the driver and putter. Why? Those two clubs are specialized, and the modern imporvements in technology have drastically improved the driver, and a putter is something that has to fit you.

For $100, you should be able to get 2-5 half hour lessons (depending on where you shop), which is a good start on your way to becoming a better golfer. This will help you more than spending $300 at the minimum on a new driver.

I'd stick with what you have as long as it fits you. I played a beginner set at standard specs for 7 years before I upgraded over the winter and discovered I needed longer shafts and a more upright lie angle. Having clubs that fit me has helped my scores and enjoyment so far this year. It is hard to develop a repeatable swing with repeatable good results if your equipment doesn't match your body.

The one club I'd look for first would be a good putter. If your current one works for you then that's great! It's the club you'll use the most each round (unless you're good at chipping in).

I agree with JB. Having not taken lessons before, its amazing what a few can do to you...

That being said, the first clubs I upgraded in my set were the driver and putter. Why? Those two clubs are specialized, and the modern imporvements in technology have drastically improved the driver, and a putter is something that has to fit you.

For $100, you should be able to get 2-5 half hour lessons (depending on where you shop), which is a good start on your way to becoming a better golfer. This will help you more than spending $300 at the minimum on a new driver.

+1

If you have a set of clubs already but with no real understanding of how to use them, buying new ones will not help.
It'll be hard not to play with your friends for a few rounds, but the lessons drastically help...

Those clubs are just fine for a beginner. Look for group lessons at local courses; you won't get a lot of attention, but you'll pick up some fundamentals for not much $$. Read all you can and study photos of swing sequences. Find a friend who has a clue about fundamentals (hint: it won't always be the best player you know) and ask them to help you with your grip and address. If you can find someone who can get you in a decent address position with a relatively neutral grip, you'll get a lot more out of your first lesson.

Listen to others, but be careful trying to apply tips from friends and things you overhear at the range -- most of it is B.S.

I was in a very similar situation to you last year... I had a cheap starter set and I wanted to buy some new clubs like you wouldn't believe. But I still couldn't hit a ball to save my life.

Then a friend came in from out of town who happens to be a great golfer and we decided to play a round. He rented a set from the course that looked like it was from 1972. On the first par 3 he wanted to hit a 5-iron but noticed his rented set didn't have one (it must have been missing at least 4 clubs) so he borrowed mine. He proceeded to hit a beautiful shot that dropped less than 2 feet from the hole. I knew right then that I should stop complaining about my crappy clubs and get a lesson.

And also... I don't really understand how anyone can say they can't afford lessons. How much do you pay to play a round of golf? Unless you are just hitting balls around your backyard, do what others have suggested and forgo a weekend or two at the course and instead get a lesson. You won't regret it. You'll get much more for your money buying a lesson than buying a new club.:act-up:

Back