PING G30 Driver Review

After JB's comment on this being higher spin vs most drivers they've put it against, I'm wondering if I can hit it. In my fitting for a new driver, we tried the G25 and couldn't make it work with 5 different shafts, vs what I was putting-up with the Bertha. Curious if I'd see similar high spin here. I was over 3000 no matter the shaft with the G25.

Man... I've been in contact with our rewards center at work about using some points to get one of these, but now I'm not so sure. Sheesh. And, as usual, the only demos around here have the non-tour shaft in senior, regular, and stiff. Those won't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From m brief time with it, the G30 is a touch shorter than the Bertha V but the dispersion is much tighter.

Don't let numbers cloud the results.

From m brief time with it, the G30 is a touch shorter than the Bertha V but the dispersion is much tighter.

Don't let numbers cloud the results.
And better dispersion is all I'm after. Thanks!

And better dispersion is all I'm after. Thanks!

Go hit them yourself, trust me. Those are not the findings I had hitting them side by side for a good while now. All swings are different. Go hit them.

Go hit them yourself, trust me. Those are not the findings I had hitting them side by side for a good while now. All swings are different. Go hit them.
You hit the Tour shaft in the G30 or the regular ones?

You hit the Tour shaft in the G30 or the regular ones?

Regular. My point though is it will still depend on you and your spin. IMO the V is higher spinning than the G30

Regular. My point though is it will still depend on you and your spin. IMO the V is higher spinning than the G30
K. I have the regular Bertha, no V, but I agree- gotta swing them to see.

Interesting. I haven't found that to be the case. Which is interesting, for lack of a better word.

What setup was the G30 you hit?

G30 with a stock stiff.

I have paired more shafts with the V. Aldila green and Fubuki ZT namely.

G30 with a stock stiff.

I have paired more shafts with the V. Aldila green and Fubuki ZT namely.

Stock stiff as in TFC 419D?

You may want to give the head a fair shake with the tour shaft before you define it as higher spin than the V.

Stock stiff as in TFC 419D?

You may want to give the head a fair shake with the tour shaft before you define it as higher spin than the V.

Not disputing that. I can't find a place to demo with a tour shaft.

Not disputing that. I can't find a place to demo with a tour shaft.

I'm not going to tell you right/wrong or up/down, just saying that head is entirely viable for my game, which is relatively high spin (my game that is). i could play this driver without question.

I'm not going to tell you right/wrong or up/down, just saying that head is entirely viable for my game, which is relatively high spin (my game that is). i could play this driver without question.

I have had the same thoughts Mr. Dan.

Danny boy, I like the way you write sir. That was a good read. Interesting loft adjustments numbers.

I don't recall reading, what was your favorite setting? What have you the most optimum ball flight?

I received word today that I can order a G30 to spec! Still have to stay in stock shaft choices, but I'm excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danny boy, I like the way you write sir. That was a good read. Interesting loft adjustments numbers.

I don't recall reading, what was your favorite setting? What have you the most optimum ball flight?

Best setting for me was 8* because it generated a nice mid flight for me. I could easily crank it up to 10* and hit it well, it's just unnecessarily high for me.

The tour shaft is a gem. Really stable all the way through, not flimsy and loaded very well even on less ideal strikes.

Playing a round Monday with the guy that fit me at club champion. He's going to try to bring a demo G30 i can hit against my G25. Sweet. Doubt my wife would let me swap the heads for the money, but still...

Great review -- extremely well written. I find the TFC (65R) an extremely smooth feeling shaft -- as did my playing partners today. I like the way the sound changes subtly depending on where on face you strike the ball -- sound and feel. The TFC shaft seems to be a lower spin shaft (to the eye) for me, and compares favorably (with the G30 head) to my TM R11S with an Aerotech Claymore stiff shaft. Everybody is different though, so give it a try.

Didn't hit the driver much yesterday (played a shorter course) but when I did it was laser straight. The G30 is longer and straighter than the G5 I gamed before with a better ball flight as well. Really loving this stick!!!

This driver continues to prove quite forgiving for me. Not always the deepest ball, but in play and out of trouble trumps that all the time. Used it on 12 holes this weekend and only found trouble once when I really tried to steer it. Ended up deep left. The stock TFC shaft really does perform best when you put a smooth swing on it.

Don't know if I was sensitive because I was recovering from a cold, but this weekend was the first time I had any issue with the sound. Certainly nothing that will keep me from gaming it though.

Got to demo the G30 9* with the Tour 65x today. Loved the forgiveness I saw. I'm struggling with a big miss right, but that movement was tempered a bit. No driver can entirely fix what I've got going on right now, but hitting the G30 was fun. I was hitting it high, I don't know if I could call it ballooning, but I could probably squeeze out some more distance with a more penetrating ball flight. This one definitely has my attention though.

Bumping this for anyone else who is playing it... I would love to hear more input.

Bumping this for anyone else who is playing it... I would love to hear more input.

I'd love to give you some. :D Unfortunately my round last weekend was terrible. This driver kept me in play on some less than perfect swings but no driver can help what I had going on most of the day. Getting out again this weekend, so hopefully some more feedback after that.

Got to demo G30 9° with tour 65 x-stiff and 10.5° with tour 80 stiff. So easy to hit and true point and shot. Not fair to compare to my Big Bertha 9° stock stiff shaft as the driver was not fit to me (never again) and the stock shaft torque/weight is totally off of what I need. Avg drives where around 290-295 with longest at 314. Miss hits where no less than 270-275. I like the tour 80 best because of the heavier shaft. Loft wise I would go with the 9 and probably go up a half degree because the ball faded more than I usually like to see. Nice high ball flight with no ballooning I saw. Definitely will be putting this in the bag for next season. Looking to try the 3 wood and and hybrids next with the tour shafts.

I actually only used it for two holes this past weekend, testing with a Alpha most of the round. Extremely easy to hit, that's what comes to mind.
First swing with the G30 was on hole 11. Hit a nice driver with a little draw, no hook this time, so great start. Did not think I got that great a distance out if it, but we had trouble locating the ball. That was because it was 40+ yards closer to the green than we were looking. I believe that was the longest drive I have ever had on that hole. And longer than I had ever hit this club. Surprised by the distance here.
Next hole, pulled the G30 out again and proceeded to hit it straight as could be. I was expecting a some right to left, but it was straight as an arrow. The distance was shorter, but that was probably because of no runout. Ended up in thick rough to the right of the fairway.
Before this round, my best drives were around 10/15yds shorter than with my old driver. I'm ok with that when the control is there. But my two previous rounds were not good. I was hooking this driver pretty good.
On the range, this club seemed easy to control , but once the round started, I was over swinging this one. Personally, I think it's a shaft issue for me. I have a few other drivers that I am working with right now, and this is the only one with the lefts. It's not like it's a snap hook, but a slow draw hook. On holes that it is open on the right, no problems. Trees on the right close to the tee box, no bueno for me.

Back