Sitting on the sidelines, how do you cope?

Ole Gray

Mayor of the Woodshed
Reaction score
Handicap
Average
Tomorrow it will be two months since I broke my hip. It has been really tough sitting at home for the most part on the beautiful Fall days. KellyBo has been hitting the course at least three times per week while I'm waving at her leaving the house. Last night her golf partner came over to stay with us for the next three days as they are defending their Georgia State Senior Women's Tournament that they won last year. We sit around talking golf because they are getting pumped up for the tournament which is Tuesday/Wednesday. I'm jealous as a beagle hound sleeping over in a den full of rabbits.

It's especially hard being retired because I think working could take up for some of the slack time. The only thing that is keeping me sane these days is my routine of hitting my gym during the week. Physical exercise has saved me. Not only physically by keeping me from wilting away, but it helps tremendously with the mental aspect. I enjoy walking my dog and good Lord she helps me to cheer up. Roxie and I grind out three miles (morning, noon, & evening) every day but that alone will not pick me up. I have to actually leave the house and Thank God I have the means to be a gym member.

If you ever have to recoup from an accident or whatever, make darn sure you have something to keep you focused on the good things in life. Trust me it will help keep that smile and laughter in your life. Staying inside too much is not the recipe for a healthy life style. That's my tip so what's yours?

That's got to be tough Bill. Hang in there though my friend!

my tip was to not be patient and ultimately it just lengthened my recovery process... so tip, don't be dumb like me.

p.s. OG, I can't get enough of your metaphors, they continually crack me up. Maybe in your downtime you should put together a collection and think about a book? :)

I'll let you know in a few weeks :)

Only previous time was about 30 years ago I dislocated my knee (probably the beginning of all the problems )

I was playing pretty high level softball at the time. It killed me to miss the last 2/3 of the season.

But I sill went to the games. Kept the scorebook and pretty much hung around the guys as much as possible.

It wasn't the same as playing but I was still involved.

my tip was to not be patient and ultimately it just lengthened my recovery process... so tip, don't be dumb like me.

p.s. OG, I can't get enough of your metaphors, they continually crack me up. Maybe in your downtime you should put together a collection and think about a book? :)

haha Thanks Martsy! You know, if I had to think about some of the crazy stuff I come up with, I would draw a blank. It just kind of rolls off the brain waves as I'm typing. :D Laughter and smiling is huge thing when you are overcoming an illness or whatever. If I can help someone smile after a tough day, it makes me smile. I glad you enjoy my somewhat unique thoughts that pop up. :thumb:

I have had a few " breaks"from golf too . Tough to answer this one , but honesty the best thing is to find different outlets . I went back to school and took a few auto cad classes , read a ton of books ..etc. But for some odd reason, my mind would always wander back to golf. What a game

I took a year off working once in my 20's and again in my 30's. Besides battling the lure of alcoholism and internet addiction some of the things I find most rewarding when you have all the time in the world.
1.) skiing and golf. I know this doesn't apply to broken hips, but I figured I would just make a general list that applies to me.
2.) fishing, hiking, and bicycling, this is for weeks when the money is tight
3.) gardening and property maintenance. Great fun if you own your own home. There is a lot more to gardening than you might first think and it is surprisingly rewarding (and can be expensive).
4.) movies and video games (I am actually surprised that I still enjoy video games in my 40's). There is a bazillion movies out there.
5.) musical instruments and listening to music. I enjoy digging through the oldies and also making compliation cds. I also enjoy learning songs on guitar. Especially fingerstyle and rock soling.
6.) working on the relationships in my life. Nothing feels better than putting something into these. Mostly effort and time, but sometimes money makes more sense (example: an invitation to a game or dinner)
7.) sports on tv. I can't name 10 current MLB players and that is a regret I am living with atm waiting for a rainy year remedy. same with golf and football.
8.) plan some vacations. It sucks trying to plan trips last minute, but what if you spent a month planning the perfect trip?
9.) visit the bucketlist : for me that would be things like deep sea fishing, or skydiving
10.) Organize your life: think about some places in life that seem messy and spend some time straightening
11.) Hobbies or perhaps rekindle some old ones. I love making homemade beer and cheese and playing cards with the family.
12.) Cooking, everyone loves to eat and you can never get too good at cooking.
13.) visit the library and find an interesting book to read, or renew a magazine subscription. I like going to book stores just to look at magazines

When I can't play golf I drink beer.

I kinda lucked out when I had my surgery in March. It wasn't golf weather yet, but there were some days where I wanted to go hit some balls but couldn't. I am single so there was a lot of sitting around watching tv, movies, and playing videos games and doing some self-rehab.
As for golf, I started small and did some small putting strokes, worked up to chipping and eventually I was able to begin twisting at the waist. Couple weeks later I was on the course taking 70% swings.
The only bright thing about the surgery was that it taught me to breath more efficiently when swinging a club.

With difficulty.....

I have had my share of injuries over the years that have put me on the sideline and stopped me playing badminton which has been hard when playing at the level I do. I would still go to the club to catch up with friends there but there is nothing worse than going somewhere and not being able to participate when you love taking part

It isn't easy but the best thing you can do is get through the injury and rehab fully so that you can come back just as strong as you were. If you have other hobbies then try to increase the time you spend doing those to take your mind off the golf

And just tell Kelly she isn't allowed to mention anything to do with golf in front of you or you won't be held responsible for your actions :D

I took a year off working once in my 20's and again in my 30's. Besides battling the lure of alcoholism and internet addiction some of the things I find most rewarding when you have all the time in the world.
1.) skiing and golf. I know this doesn't apply to broken hips, but I figured I would just make a general list that applies to me.
2.) fishing, hiking, and bicycling, this is for weeks when the money is tight
3.) gardening and property maintenance. Great fun if you own your own home. There is a lot more to gardening than you might first think and it is surprisingly rewarding (and can be expensive).
4.) movies and video games (I am actually surprised that I still enjoy video games in my 40's). There is a bazillion movies out there.
5.) musical instruments and listening to music. I enjoy digging through the oldies and also making compliation cds. I also enjoy learning songs on guitar. Especially fingerstyle and rock soling.
6.) working on the relationships in my life. Nothing feels better than putting something into these. Mostly effort and time, but sometimes money makes more sense (example: an invitation to a game or dinner)
7.) sports on tv. I can't name 10 current MLB players and that is a regret I am living with atm waiting for a rainy year remedy. same with golf and football.
8.) plan some vacations. It sucks trying to plan trips last minute, but what if you spent a month planning the perfect trip?
9.) visit the bucketlist : for me that would be things like deep sea fishing, or skydiving
10.) Organize your life: think about some places in life that seem messy and spend some time straightening
11.) Hobbies or perhaps rekindle some old ones. I love making homemade beer and cheese and playing cards with the family.
12.) Cooking, everyone loves to eat and you can never get too good at cooking.
13.) visit the library and find an interesting book to read, or renew a magazine subscription. I like going to book stores just to look at magazines

Good list of things to do !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess when i am forced not to play as much is when i am crazy at work working 7 days a week does not leave much time to play

Keep your sprirts up Bill hopefully you will be able to get back out there

Being around something you love and can't participate is tough. Doc, I have two women in my home playing in a large tournament this week and guess what the are talking about ...

I'm planning on hitting some balls with DawgDaddy this week if it works out. Seeing my Doctor tomorrow so hoping for pass off the side lines

When I had wrist surgery a few years back, it was so difficult to sit around for 6 weeks. My body felt great and my wrist felt great - except for the little bone healing.

I won't lie - it tested all of my patience. But spending an ENTIRE summer in bed, lying perfectly still when I was 13 because of an eye injury taught me a lot. I tried to find ways to keep myself busy and active. Sounds like you are doing just that.

Hang in there, you are almost there!!!

Last edited:
Bill, you know pretty well what I have been through - for those that don't, I was still playing to about a 2 handicap when my arthritic hip issues got bad enough that golf was no fun, and I put down the clubs around Labor Day 2012. It's funny, I wasn't particularly bothered that I couldn't play for what ended up being almost two years. I had started a new job in 2012 and had to wait until I built the leave time up necessary to recover from the hip replacement surgery - since I was recovered enough after only three weeks to return to work, turns out I could've had the surgery a full year sooner (the surgeon told me to prepare for 6 weeks off). I got turned loose to play golf in August.

Back to the new job - my old job of 34 years ended at the end of 2011 when the place I worked was 'decommissioned'. I was made lots of promises while the job was winding down, but it turned out to only be promises to get me to stay until the closing. After nearly 6 months unemployed, I got a job in my field which I really like, but the pay started at about exactly half my old pay. In the two years since I have advanced to already be in charge like I was in my old job, and the pay is up but still maybe just 60% of the old pay.

I said all that to get to this - now I can physically play but can't really afford to play. And it is way harder on me now to not be able to play. I went out and hit range balls once, and the swing felt like old times and so did the results, but now another 5 weeks or so has passed and no more golf. We are squeaking by financially, but there's really no room for extras, and it may be quite a while before there is such room. How do I fill the void? I still have other activities and interests, like my church choir, working around the yard and the house, spending time with Mrs SAM, and like you Ole Gray, my dog is a lot of joy. But I am chomping a little at the ole bit to get out on the course and actually play.

I feel for ya Bill and I wasn't a very good listener when I was going through some arm and tendon injuries a year ago and then again recently with my knees, only until the pain was great enough that the pain of playing surpassed the pain of listening to the doc did I stop lol. I have a few guitars lying around, I'm addicted to THP so that helps, and I love to look at and read about guitars and clubs on the net. It's not enough but it does help me a little.

I hope you heal well and you're patient enough to hang in there buddy, 2015 holds special things for you, I'm certain of it.

Dang Steve that's tough but you are handling it all like a champ. Do you work Monday - Friday?

I feel for ya Bill and I wasn't a very good listener when I was going through some arm and tendon injuries a year ago and then again recently with my knees, only until the pain was great enough that the pain of playing surpassed the pain of listening to the doc did I stop lol. I have a few guitars lying around, I'm addicted to THP so that helps, and I love to look at and read about guitars and clubs on the net. It's not enough but it does help me a little.

I hope you heal well and you're patient enough to hang in there buddy, 2015 holds special things for you, I'm certain of it.

Heck I might have to dust off my ole guitar and pick a tune with you at our first meeting !

Thanks buddy and I hope we can tee it up in 2015

Yes, Bill - Monday to Friday 0700 - 1600 , and every other weekend go in and check on everything, usually 30-45 minutes whenever in the morning I want to.
Dang Steve that's tough but you are handling it all like a champ. Do you work Monday - Friday?

That is a good tip Bill, to always have something on the back burner. That's the advice I give to people who are facing retirement.

I've been "sitting on the sidelines" some this summer but volunteer work has filled in the time gaps. If a person is willing to volunteer, there are lots of organizations that will keep folks busy. I put in a lot of time this summer with the American Legion here. I'm part of the Honor Guard and we do funeral ceremonies for veterans of all ages. It is very gratifying work. I'm also "in charge" of the grounds at the post (meaning I get to pick up trash, mow and run the weedeater.)

Heck I might have to dust off my ole guitar and pick a tune with you at our first meeting !

A good friend of mine got laid up several years ago and taught himself to play the guitar. Then he'd still travel with me and hang out at the horse trailer playing and singing. Sure made picking women up easier!

Before I started playing golf, I fished a lot then had knee surgery and couldn't stand on the deck of the boat for a while. I taught myself how to build fishing rods and got good enough at it that I started selling them.

Yes, Bill - Monday to Friday 0700 - 1600 , and every other weekend go in and check on everything, usually 30-45 minutes whenever in the morning I want to.

When I get healed up good we'll work something out

There is a ton of good tips in here! Thanks guys for all the input

Another vote for "don't be dumb like me"...when I had surgery last year I went stir crazy after about 2 days, went out too soon and made things worse.

Here's an idea: if you are cleared to walk 3 miles a day maybe you could be cleared to putt and chip? That would at least get you back on the greens. If the Doc says no go to that, I can only offer my sympathy. I know how hard it is.

From one Bill to another.... I feel your pain brother.
In 2005 I was diagnosed with colon cancer. I had 2 separate tumors so they took 1/3 of my colon.
At first the recovery period kept me from playing golf or really doing anything for several weeks.
Then, I did a 6 week stint of chemo. It was only 3 rounds with a week in between rounds to try to recover from the previous week.
That was the worst 6 weeks of my life. Add the surgery recovery and the chemo together and I was out of golf for the whole summer.
What kept me sane was reading every golf magazine I could get my hands on, putting in the basement(when I could finally walk stairs) and walking around the neighborhood for exercise.
Another thing that helped was building a remote control glider. Not a snap together, but glue and balsa and iron on cover.
Of course I couldn't have done any of that without my lovely wife Rose. She was/is the rock of my life and can never thank her enough for all she did during that time.

I hope you heal well and very soon my friend.

Back