New, affordable Doppler launch monitor coming in March - FlightScope Xi

$2500 affordable? LOL

I agree with Hawk, without spin and launch, whats the point? Those are the most important numbers I would want to see.

I'll also comment that a camera based system is still both reliable and accurate. There are obviously varying levels there, but even the holy grail of trackman has been shown to have some issues with accuracy in certain circumstances.

Why on earth anyone would build a launch monitor that doesn't do launch and spin is beyond me.

Why on earth anyone would build a launch monitor that doesn't do launch and spin is beyond me.

Gotta keep the value of the other products or nobody will want to buy the 10k version.

Affordable is a relative term. I'm not poor but $2500 for a training aid is pricey. Also, how good can it be if the others are so much more.

You read my mind :)

I still don't think it's a tool the average consumer needs. To think about the amount of golf and lessons that this could purchase.

I'd like to see the readout before I passed much judgement. Having an indoor setup is something i really want to make happen, but it will require a device that tells me how far offline I am on my shots along with a variety of other pieces of information.

Sadly, at this point, trackman is where the conversation starts and ends. The less I know the better -- At least according to my wife.

I'd like to see the readout before I passed much judgement. Having an indoor setup is something i really want to make happen, but it will require a device that tells me how far offline I am on my shots along with a variety of other pieces of information.

Sadly, at this point, trackman is where the conversation starts and ends. The less I know the better -- At least according to my wife.

I was thinking the same thing, Dan. Yes, the price is steep, even compared to a Trackman (to me). However, having an indoor set up and the ability to have distances accurate to within a yard or so, would be nice. Not having an indoor range available, this would be ideal for me in the Winter time when I only have my garage and net.
Still, I'm not sure I would currently be able to justify the purchase of this $2500 distance tracker, when I could pay off an entire credit card with that much money.

I was thinking the same thing, Dan. Yes, the price is steep, even compared to a Trackman (to me). However, having an indoor set up and the ability to have distances accurate to within a yard or so, would be nice. Not having an indoor range available, this would be ideal for me in the Winter time when I only have my garage and net.
Still, I'm not sure I would currently be able to justify the purchase of this $2500 distance tracker, when I could pay off an entire credit card with that much money.

I would be more concerned with swing path, face angle, and the other launch data rather than the end result of distance from such a device. Just seen too much variable in distance on sims and such anyway that I don't put much stock in that part of it. Even at times way out of whack where at times the data reports a better swing and yet its at the shortest distance and yet at times a poor swing records a real long one. Besides that, temps, wind , weather, elevations, and fairway conditions are so different when we play anyway. I tend to focus on other data about the swing rather than the often flawed end distance it reports. The better one tries to get the other stuff to me is what it would be more about. Besides that I think knowing distance for clubs can only truly be obtained on the golf course and also combined with the other elements mentioned above.

Well, I could never afford one but as far as getting too caught up in the technical? I guess this depends on how well one choses to use the device and how far you take it. Just like there are good (or beneficial) and poor (or detrimental) ways to practice, there are good and poor ways to utilize such a device. It really comes down to what the purposes are and what one wants to get out of it.

There is something to be said for knowing the data that can certainly help you fix some problems. Chasing numbers in a way is imo not really all that different from chasing the perfect golf shot while you play. One just needs to know how not to take it all too far. But that would be the same good logic for playing or using the device.

The other day I was at the range and there was a dad there with Swingbyte or some other swing analyzer. I watched as he worked with his 12-year-old daughter. After every swing, he stopped her and they discussed her numbers. She wasn't hitting the ball badly, but not great either. After a while, she got bored and quit to go work on putting by herself. Dad stayed there and did the same routine. After every shot he would stop and spend time examining the numbers. Only his shots were truly awful. He shanked, topped and thinned about every one. The more he did, the more time he spent looking at the numbers. Finally he gave up in frustration after about 20 balls, leaving half the bucket on the range, grumpily collected his daughter, and left.

While I was watching all this, I wanted to grab the guy, shake him and say, "Just swing the dang club!"

Obviously not every golfer is going to use such a device in this way and some will get quite useful information. But the potential for "paralysis by analysis" is certainly there, as exhibited by this incident.

I would be more concerned with swing path, face angle, and the other launch data rather than the end result of distance from such a device. Just seen too much variable in distance on sims and such anyway that I don't put much stock in that part of it. Even at times way out of whack where at times the data reports a better swing and yet its at the shortest distance and yet at times a poor swing records a real long one. Besides that, temps, wind , weather, elevations, and fairway conditions are so different when we play anyway. I tend to focus on other data about the swing rather than the often flawed end distance it reports. The better one tries to get the other stuff to me is what it would be more about. Besides that I think knowing distance for clubs can only truly be obtained on the golf course and also combined with the other elements mentioned above.

I agree with you, for the average golfer. I'm no Tour Pro, FARRRRRR from it. However, I'm less concerned with my swing flaws as a single digit golfer (personally) and more concerned that I'm getting my distances correct with different swing levels, Full, 3/4, half etc. I'd much rather dial in my distances to a consistent number, than I am concerned with swing path or face angle. The rest of that is on the course, at the time reads with wind, elevations and conditions.

Well, I could never afford one but as far as getting too caught up in the technical? I guess this depends on how well one choses to use the device and how far you take it. Just like there are good (or beneficial) and poor (or detrimental) ways to practice, there are good and poor ways to utilize such a device. It really comes down to what the purposes are and what one wants to get out of it.

There is something to be said for knowing the data that can certainly help you fix some problems. Chasing numbers in a way is imo not really all that different from chasing the perfect golf shot while you play. One just needs to know how not to take it all too far. But that would be the same good logic for playing or using the device.

I'm probably the minority, I see more value in digging it out of the ground than a launch monitor. The 3 greatest ball strikers ever: Moe Norman, Ben Hogan, and Trevino, didn't need a Trackman. I bet Norman and Trevino wouldn't have used one if they had one available.

I see so many golfers that have multiple sessions each season on a launch monitor and are over obsessed with their launch data. They can tell you all their spin, launch, path, and ball speed numbers but they can't fix their swing on the course or even shape the ball both ways. Technology is a good thing for many golfers, but I'm glad I learned how to play without all the data from a trackman. Learning the game without lessons or a trackman probably delayed me getting good at golf by a year or two, but I know exactly what's wrong and how to fix it when I hit a bad shot. We have 2 players on our high school team that have both personal trainers and a swing coach. Both are good players and will be playing college golf, but neither one of them can fix their swing on the course.

I still don't think it's a tool the average consumer needs. To think about the amount of golf and lessons that this could purchase.

I agree with this. Even in a world where $2500 is affordable to me, that's money better spent on lessons. The only time I even think I want to obsess about numbers is during a fitting.

If I were going to drop $2,500 into my game it would be on lessons, new clubs and a golf trip (or 4) to a warmer destination when there's 3 feet of snow outside.

That's 25 hours with one of the pros around here that works with David Toms! Um, give me the lessons instead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Closer but still way off from being affordable for everyday Joes that enjoy golf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting, I wouldn't get one home, but it would be awesome that courses that have ranges would have these to use for free or with a small amount to rent.

1000 USD, I'd try to get one in my garage for the winter months ;)

Not what I would consider affordable to most golfers but I agree with thoose that would use the money for lessons instead.

Back