PGA President Calls Poulter "Lil Girl"

And calling someone a 'girl' on the course or on social media carried the same meaning.
It may mean the same thing, but it justifiably elicits a different response. You expect a certain amount of professionalism from people in the public eye.

It may mean the same thing, but it justifiably elicits a different response. You expect a certain amount of professionalism from people in the public eye.

That where I differ from most. I expect the same out of everyone. I don't hold him to higher standard because he has a 'title'. I agree he used poor judgement but that where is starts and stops for me

That is fine, I just see it differently. He could have called him a "child" and again, this probably would never have become anything but he chose to be a little more specific using a comment which seems to imply that one gender may be inferior to another. People are free to believe that, I don't, but when you are the President of anything, especially in this day and age, I think you do have to be a little more careful about what you say or, just suffer the consequences. I don't hate the guy for it, I don't think he should be punished the way he is but I think the point of it all is much simpler than it is being made out to be and that is why there is so much chatter, because people are personalizing it in their own way and not recognizing it for what it could look like to all the little girls and women that are involved in the game throughout the world.

Ted Bishop shouldn't have made the comment but the PGA has overreacted to the situation and lost my respect Because of how they choose to deal with this. I expect professionalism from the PGA not outrageous disaplinary actions like the NFL does.

Poulter is a little girl.

Poulter is a little girl.

Took the words out of my mouth although I have a different description for him lol.

Ted Bishop shouldn't have made the comment but the PGA has overreacted to the situation and lost my respect Because of how they choose to deal with this. I expect professionalism from the PGA not outrageous disaplinary actions like the NFL does.

I would wager that Bishop has done some additional things, within the confines of the PGA that the media doesn't know about. And, this was just the last straw.

Political correctness is a cancer...... Just the way it is.....

One of our problems in this culture and time is that we repeatedly overreact to stupid things that people say. Human beings often speak before they think and we all say silly things. I would venture to say that every person on the planet has at some point said something that could be construed as racist, sexist, or offensive in some way. If the same standards were applied to the rest of us, none of us could ever hold a job. Yes, the standards should be somewhat different for those in the public eye or those who represent organizations, but it is astounding how much people overreact to what are mere words, and what often amounts to a very brief sentence. You can think of some amazing examples in the the recent past, and this is just the latest in a very disturbing trend. We should focus much more on what people do, rather than something they said in the heat of a moment.

Ted Bishop was wrong on this occasion in two respects First, he should have been more careful and more tactful given his position. Second, he erred in confining his "little girls" remark to Poulter alone. The class of people who are acting like a bunch of whiny, immature, drama queens, is much larger.

P.S. I am the father of two girls, and I know how they act on certain occasions. Age and gender (and other things) often influence how we behave. And if Bishop had instead said Poulter was acting like a "child," I'm sure we would have heard protests from the "National Organization Of Prepubescent Persons."

Last edited:
Mr. Bishop is guilty of not recognizing the PC environment in which we now find ourselves, but that's about it in my opinion. Such comments are what men say to each other on certain circumstances. When a bud comes way short on a putt, who has not commented "does your husband play" or "perhaps you should wear a shorter skirt". I have absolutely no problem if a woman wants entry into the men's lounge. But they shouldn't complain about the language and cigar smoke when they get in. Men and women are different, they are different physically and emotionally. Because of those differences, a gender neutral society is not likely if possible at all. Neither sex should fear acting naturally.

Breaking News!:

He's STILL a little girl.

This has obviously turned form Mrs Poulter being called out to a thread for some with an axe to grind. Poor judgement given the over sensitive public....yes. Calling a spade a spade not guilty

I am working pretty hard at trying to care about this whole controversy. I am sure Bishop is embarrassed, but deep down inside, I don't think he probably cares too much about giving up his volunteer position a couple months ahead of schedule. As far as Poulter is concerned, anyone who thinks he is a little girl now already thought he was a little girl before Bishop's comments.

I am working pretty hard at trying to care about this whole controversy. I am sure Bishop is embarrassed, but deep down inside, I don't think he probably cares too much about giving up his volunteer position a couple months ahead of schedule. As far as Poulter is concerned, anyone who thinks he is a little girl now already thought he was a little girl before Bishop's comments.

Bingo. On all counts.

It is an entirely different issue, IMO, but I believe polling has consistently shown that a pretty small percentage (not a majority by any means) of Native Americans find the "Washington Redskins" name offensive.

In any event, "little girl" is not in and of itself a slur word, anymore than someone saying a teenager is acting like an "old man" is casting a slur on octogenarians.

Agreed it is a different issue that is why the qualifier " sort of" was used. I agree with much of what you said, the only differing path would be we have a different view as to whether it is just a small percentage of native Americans who take some issue with the slur term REDSKINS. In my view even it were in fact true that it is a somewhat small percentage my thoughts would not be any different. But you are correct it is not an equivocal thing.

As for as the main topic of this thread I don't feel he should have been fired for his good faith screwup.

I am sick of the PC crap. I'll bet there was not a single female in all the world that was offended by the lil' girl comment.
I cannot tell you how many times I have heard women on the course say to a short putt, "you should have hit it with a bigger purse", or "does your husband play" or, "your putter got caught in your skirt".

Just sick of all the PC....

I am sick of the PC crap. I'll bet there was not a single female in all the world that was offended by the lil' girl comment.
I cannot tell you how many times I have heard women on the course say to a short putt, "you should have hit it with a bigger purse", or "does your husband play" or, "your putter got caught in your skirt".

How much you willing to wager on that one? :)

How much you willing to wager on that one? :)

Yeah.....that may have been too broad of a stroke there. (oops...I didn't mean broad in the sense of . . . . oh dang it, I'll just stop here while only part of my foot is in my mouth)

The transvestite that replaced Holly Sonders said it was offensive... ;-)

Back