Callaway Apex UT Utility Iron

I can't hit this club for some reason. I tried in Ohio and it was bad. Really bad

Kevin, it was like this for me. I wanted to love it, I really did. Fact of the matter was that I already had clubs in the bag that did what I was able to make it do. Guess I just wasn't good enough to game it. But I sure am glad it has found a good home.

Kevin, it was like this for me. I wanted to love it, I really did. Fact of the matter was that I already had clubs in the bag that did what I was able to make it do. Guess I just wasn't good enough to game it. But I sure am glad it has found a good home.

I hit it well at the MORGAN Cup with Chad. Must of been luck lol

I hit it well at the MORGAN Cup with Chad. Must of been luck lol

So did I man. Or at least I thought. I hit it well from the fairway/rough but off the tee it was not very effective for me. I'm sure I could have gotten it to work over time, but it needs to be used now!

I really love the 24 deg. so easy to hit from any lie. The only drawback is I was hoping for a magic 10 more yards out it, I wanted a 190-195 club and hit it 180-185 most of the time. Not the fault of the club of course, just my slow swing speed. I have really flushed it and got that yardage but it is not normal only the internet once a round yards.

It remains to be seen how the new Srixon 4 iron plays to see if it (the 24 UT) stays in the bag (and if it does not sell with the set)

I really love the 24 deg. so easy to hit from any lie. The only drawback is I was hoping for a magic 10 more yards out it, I wanted a 190-195 club and hit it 180-185 most of the time. Not the fault of the club of course, just my slow swing speed. I have really flushed it and got that yardage but it is not normal only the internet once a round yards.

It remains to be seen how the new Srixon 4 iron plays to see if it (the 24 UT) stays in the bag (and if it does not sell with the set)
Have you tried a hybrid? At 24° there might be another 10 yards out of the Big Bertha hybrid.

I have always had a bad relationship with Hybrids, but you never know I may try one next time I go for a lesson. I really liked the Heavenwood and hit it a bit farther than the 24 deg. as would be expected. But this UT is really great from poor lies.

So for those that jumped on this club when it came out what is the status? Still in your bag?

I'm about to take the plung.

So for those that jumped on this club when it came out what is the status? Still in your bag?

Absolutely! For me it's great everywhere. Tee, fw, and rough. Ball gets up in a hurry

Didn't when it came out...it won't come out now.

It didn't exactly work out for me, but to be fair I really didn't get into it at the right time of the year. I struggled with it off the tee but from the fairway/rough it was fantastic. Since I had intended on it being an option off the tee, I turned back to old reliable X2Hot 4 hybrid that I can hit with my eyes closed. I'm sure, with a fair shake, I would have found it to be what I wanted.

18* off the tee is awesome. Looking to get the 24* soon.

Started with the 24 and added the 21 to replace the X2 Hot Pro 20 degree.

I spent some time at the range this afternoon and made a point to hit the 18* UT exclusively off the turf and compared it against my X2Hot 3 hybrid. The UT was considerably more accurate and longer by a fair bit (hard to tell exact yardages at the range with no launch monitor). The KBS C-Taper Lite delivers a low-mid flight that just carved through a solid headwind today. By comparison, the UST Mamiya VTS Silver in my X2Hot hybrids delivered a high ball flight that seemed to balloon a touch toward its peak. The issue I'm having with my hybrids recently is they are hook machines and I'm struggling to get them on target consistently. I feel like I have greater control over the club face on the UT and I tend to get the exact results that I expect when lining up to a target. All that said, I think I've convinced myself that I want to ditch the hybrids and bring in the 21* and 24* UT's.
I have the 21 and 24 as 3 and 4 iron replacements and couldn't be happier

Those apex UT looks so nice. Want to have one, but I guess I have to stick with hybrids.

Thanks for the follow up gents. Im going to do this.

I'm gonna go 18* for 3 iron, 21* for 4 iron and traditional 5 iron Apex to match my set.
That's what I thought initially. But 21-5i looks like it might make to much of a gap.

The 4 iron in the Apex set is 21.5* so not that big of a difference really.

Yes but the design of the UT and 21 length will increase your gap from what you had in the Apex 4-5.

Don't forget the ut is also an inch longer....seems to be about a club longer than the apex irons. However I probly gonna dump the 4 iron and go 21ut 5 iron. Choke down an inch or so and swing easy gives me 4 iron distance. Plus that's not a distance I end up needing exact distance....it's usually lay ups and tight tee shots. Thinking of adding the 18 to go with my 21. Really amazing clubs.

I just came into a 24* with a Recoil shaft in stiff flex. Driving irons are something I can't stay away from even though they are generally catered towards the lower handicap set. I don't care. I believe I will come across one some day and it will be a terrific option for me. So when I saw I could get hold of one with a Recoil shaft, I couldn't resist.

Based on the loft, I assumed this could fit in where I would normally hit a 4h. TBH though, I was just curious what results I would see with it and had no expectations as far as it making it to my bag. It's also simulator season here, so I could use it for that I guess.

Looks wise, it is very sharp. At address, you can certainly see a little of the bulk sticking out from the top line, but it's not much at all; just enough to give me a little comfort of forgiveness. The biggest surprise for me was its weight. It feels extremely light, which I felt was different from the other driving irons I've hit. But swing speed is not a problem with this and the swipes I took with a whiffle ball in my backyard were reassuring. I could see this giving me a mid ball flight with tons of roll; perfect for windy days or those parkland courses with narrow corridors lined with trees.

So I hit it over the last couple days. The first day was such a bad decision. The only range open was at this dog track course that basically has a bunch of balata balls and the tee area is on a severe incline, making it tougher to get on to my front side. So hitting a bunch of rocks to a field with no yardage markers led to a day of shrugging off the swings with this club. It was disappointing, but I knew better going to this place. It just happened to be the only place open before a snow storm hit. When I did hit one well, I was surprised with the higher ball flight.

The next day was indoors, on a LM. At least I could get some numbers with it and see just how hard or easy it is to hit the club. As I was hitting, I realized a few things. First, this club is a lot smoother than I thought, even through impact. Impact was some what muted mainly because I couldn't hear a distinct impact sound and it was easy to swing through the ball, but it was easy to tell when you hit it square. I focused on staying centered, and once I did that along with a nice tempo swing, this club was straight as an arrow. I found it to be relatively forgiving horizontally and the flight was just right; high enough to get a decent carry number yet low enough to get some bounce and roll out once it landed. For comparison, I hit it against a SpeedBlade 4i and can say that I hit the Apex UT much more consistently. Distance wise, I was seeing what I normally see with a very well hit 5h and a softer hit 4h, but it generally fit into the gap in my clubs I thought it would.

Generally, I saw some promising results. I found it easy to hit and easy to hit straight. I have hit a ton of driving irons with many different shaft combinations, and this one felt the most like hitting a regular iron, even with the light weight, and was definitely the most consistent with the most manageable misses. I'm actually curious how I'd hit the lower lofts and the distances I would get, since I'd like to see about 10 more yards in carry. I'd like to spend a few proper days out on the course with it before coming to any significant conclusions, and am still not quite sure what club I would take out of the bag for this, or what situations this club would be better than a hybrid, yet despite all this uncertainty it is an intriguing option. For now, I'd say that those who don't like or get along with hybrids and are looking for a solid reliable long iron, these are pretty good.

Forgot to mention that spin rate was at or just below 4,000, which I was really happy with for this club.

Last edited:
PGG, glad to hear you like it. I really did enjoy it on the course, off the turf it just takes off and seems to not be bothered to much by the wind.

I had this club on the course with me today and hit it a lot, just to get a feel for it. A few things I noticed were all positive. It launched higher than I expected, but not at the sacrifice for distance. My biggest miss with this was a 15 yard push, with about 10 yard distance loss. I found it very easy to hit as well, and with the ball flight, definitely comes down steeper then I thought it would, making it much easier to hold greens. I particularly liked its accuracy, especially on a day when my iron game was below average for me.

All in all, it was a nice club. It pretty much took the place of my 5h and if a lower lofted one performs similar, it'd be an attractive option to replace the 4 and 5h slot.

One thing is for sure. Out of all the utility irons I've hit, this one more than the others I would feel comfortable with in my bag and hit often.

A quick nine holes today and I used the UT 24* quite a bit. In the rough, on side hill lies, off the tee, it performed well for me. I had two mis-hits though. The first was a pull off the tee on a par 3 that ened up pin high, 15 yards to the left. The other was when the ball was in deep rough, way below my legs. I got under it too much and chunked it, the ball going about 100 yards straight. It was a tough lie, so I hit one again to see what would happen and it ended up going where I wanted.

All in all, I like what I'm seeing from this club. It's versatile and I've been getting much more comfortable with it, seeing a little bump in distance. I don't know if my swing is more deliberate or controlled with it, but it's been very consistent and accurate for me. I see these more as great mid-long and long irons for me, while still keeping at least one hybrid in the bag for longer distances. I guess I view them more as a long GI iron then a true driving iron, but that's fine in my book. I'll be keeping it in my bag for now, taking out the 5h, 4W or even 6i, depending on the course.

A quick nine holes today and I used the UT 24* quite a bit. In the rough, on side hill lies, off the tee, it performed well for me. I had two mis-hits though. The first was a pull off the tee on a par 3 that ened up pin high, 15 yards to the left. The other was when the ball was in deep rough, way below my legs. I got under it too much and chunked it, the ball going about 100 yards straight. It was a tough lie, so I hit one again to see what would happen and it ended up going where I wanted.

All in all, I like what I'm seeing from this club. It's versatile and I've been getting much more comfortable with it, seeing a little bump in distance. I don't know if my swing is more deliberate or controlled with it, but it's been very consistent and accurate for me. I see these more as great mid-long and long irons for me, while still keeping at least one hybrid in the bag for longer distances. I guess I view them more as a long GI iron then a true driving iron, but that's fine in my book. I'll be keeping it in my bag for now, taking out the 5h, 4W or even 6i, depending on the course.

You must have a very repeatable swing!

Were you a big hybrid player before using this?

Were you a big hybrid player before using this?

I've used this on mid length par 4s and its long. I hit low bullets with this and can get a nice mid high flight to land it softer. Really really like the club.

Ha, probably not as much as a lot of guys, or most actually. I'd give it a try if you're in the market.

Back