Is it just a game?

I used to start every year with a set of metric's I was hoping to achieve, typically bettering previous year numbers - # of birdies, rounds under 80, new courses played, etc. The past few years I really just focus on playing as much golf with my wife/daughter and friends while also trying to have a good time. I enjoy tinkering with equipment but I'm as loyal to clubs as I am cars! Still enjoying trying new courses but I used to focus on cool designs with a lot of challenge now I'm looking for scenic courses with great views and nicer surroundings. I guess everyone is in a different season of their life.

It is a game for sure, but there is more to it than just the game of golf. For me it has been and still is all about time outside, in nature with family and close friends at your side. My greatest childhood memories are on the course with my parents and brother and most of my best friends today came from the golf course. Playing the game is just a small part of the game.

A serious competition or a pastime, a walk in the park or a struggle, frustrating or fulfilling, challenging or easy, a battle against the field or a social event, a test of mental toughness, a test of physical skills...Gosh, golf can be about anything or everything you want it to be!

Yes, just a game.

I remembered today that golf is a game and that I enjoy playing it.

I like to play well, and I like to challenge myself. But, I sometimes lose track that golf should be fun.

Played in some crazy wind today and had some other things working against me. Scoring was not good. At all. But I had so much fun teeing it up.

Golf is more of an addiction than a game for me. It has been a great tool for meeting so many friends that I would have never met. ️.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that because we choose to belong to a golf forum, it's a bit more than just a game to most of us. I'll never be scratch, but my goal is to improve when I can but mostly to have fun. If it stops being fun, it's time to stop playing.

It's a game for me. I don't care what I shoot. I go out on any course no matter if it's a goat track or a country club and just enjoy playing.

I would like to bring my game back to a higher level,compete in tournments again. Right now I take it as a hobby,but looking for more in the future. Since getting back into the game,not a day goes by I do not think about my game,how to improve. Hoping next year I am closer to my goals

Its a game, but theirs soooooo much to it. The amount of potential things golf brings, its easy to get sucked into it. From different courses to swing mechanics to being an equipment nut to playing competitively and to playing beer golf with your friends. Its a game an industry a pastime and a bit of an art form.

So yea, its a game. But not just a game.

From the very first time I swung a club it's been an addiction. It's still just a game but I've been 100% addicted to it for over 25 years now.

It is just a game! It's a game I long to be good at. I enjoy everything about this game. Even the struggles, it's a constant reminder that I can do better, I can be a better player of the game, I can be better a better person because of the game. Smalls said it best. Because Im a member of THP, golf is more than a game. I've really come to love the "live it" part of this game.

I always try and remember that it's just a game but inevitably I always keep trying to push myself to do better. I love that about it though, a challenge that I get to share with great friends.

For me: No point in playing a game/sport if I don't have goals. Otherwise why am I playing?

For me, it's a game, vacation, mental test, and party with friends all in one when done right.

Sure, it's only a game, just like life is just a game. So why am I getting so wound up about it, right?

To me, a game and a hobby.. I enjoy it, even the bad rounds.. I have fun laughing at the bad shots because I'm not good enough to get mad at them.. Sure, I'd like to get better so I put in a few range sessions a week to work at it. But I'm a realist. I'm never going to be a low 70s shooter so I accept my limitations and have fun. Like many have said: it's getting out with friends, challenging yourself a little, trying to get better and just enjoying life. I live for those really good shots every round that make for good 19th hole boasting and keeps you coming back for more. Not to sound like a beer commercial, but you only have so much time here, might as well make the best of it....

Yep, it is.

It's one I love, but it's just a game. There is much more to life than golf.

For me it is just a game. But a game I obsess about and want to get better at. Love the GAME.

It's an addiction to me. It's my drug really. People get addicted to all sorts of things and I've gotten addicted to golf. My high is pulling off the shot I envision, having the hard work pay off and help me reach to where I want to be. It's a high I can chase the rest of my life as we can always get better.

Thought about this a bit and realized that for me golf is not a game. Truth is I don't compete or compare scores with fellow golfers and friends. In fact, I could care less about golf from a competitive aspect. All I want to do is develop a good swing that produces good golf shots that produces a par round of golf. It's a complete goal that I know I'll never reach, but I guess for me it's all about how close can I get.

Back