The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hit 100 tonight.

The first 50 were good, the second 50 just got gradually worse until the last ball was a massive slice.

Hit the range for practice with wedges, and woods. Probably hit about 60 wedge shots with 50,56,60 and about 40 shots with 4w and driver. Trying to get used to new neutral grip as well and learn to completely swing the club through impact instead of stopping and trying to elevate the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had 27 holes of spectacular (for me golf), followed by 9 holes of spectacularly awful (like, first time I ever picked up a club awful) golf and now a horrid range session. I was drop kicking every hybrid, wood, and driver shot I attempted. When I didn't drop kick them, it was giving me a nice slice. Awful, just horrid. Makes me never want to pick up a club again.

Instead, went into the clubhouse and met with the club pro. He charges $25 for a 45 minute session, so guess who is taking his next lesson in December? I pray to God that he can fix whatever massive swing flaw I've introduced into my golf game in the past 24 hours.

Finished up about an hour of leisurely putting practice on the birdieball.
Before that I was in my garage working on getting some swings in, got some impact bag work in, and chipping into my tire...

The joys of "Working" from home.

Weather was beautiful today (relatively speaking) so snuck out early. In fact, it was so beautiful in comparison to the past week, I just couldn't stop. I hit 3 large buckets, around 330 balls.

Swing is really working well. Can't wait until my next round.

In other news, I'm going to be one sore puppy tomorrow.

Had a much better range session tonight.
Hitting the ball alright while focusing on swinging steep and tempo. However, I do have a pretty gnarly two-way miss going so I'll be sure to rack up a few penalties tomorrow.

Took my son out to the range with me. Intentionally bought fewer balls than I normally do, left my jeans & t-shirt instead of changing into golfing clothes, and even left my shoes at home and hit in sneakers. Just wanted to relax, hit some balls, test out my new putter, and have fun.

Best range session I've had in a long time. Maybe it was taking some steps to not feel like it was real practice, or intentionally hitting fewer shots, or even just not going with any swing changes in mind, but I was just hitting relaxed, strong iron shots and hitting my driver really well (for the half-dozen or so swings I took with it.) Lots of fun, swing felt good, the weather is beautiful right now. Declan had fun, too, and his swing is really improving. I'm looking forward to him being old enough for lessons and learning a bit more about the game.

Another beautiful day here, so another 200 balls sent downrange. Really happy with the ball striking right now. Still need to avoid my tendency to get out in front of the ball, but it's getting more and more rare.

Spent about an hour working on my chipping today at the range. Really working on staying down and through the ball.

With temperatures being in the 50s, I was able to get a practice round in today.

Was really pleased with the tempo on my woods. Irons were off a little early on and I think that was attributed to the last couple of range sessions being on matts. Since no one was out there, I was able to drop balls in multiple spots around the greens and work on my short game. Was pleased with my putting all day.

Then the skies opened up and it started to pour, forcing me to call it a day.

Overall I was pleased. Need to spend a little more time with my irons, but I really like where my game is. More work to do in the next 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Dude you looked solid when we played last week!

I wish I coulda made it out today to play again with you and do some work on non frozen greens.

Dude you looked solid when we played last week!

I wish I coulda made it out today to play again with you and do some work on non frozen greens.
Talk about a 180, the greens were really soft today and very receptive. Far from the frozen rocks they were last Sunday.

after months of swinging heavy clubs , using impact bags , stretching and light weight lifting . I decided to just hit a few with the warm weekend and see what happens . No thoughts , just swing .. Worked out good . Shorter controlled backswing / on plane / and a nice straight lower controlled ball flight . A nice start to the long winter being able to see the ball fly nice and straight

club feels as light as a feather . Good sign for next season , maybe this means I can put more speed into the hit ? Good stuff

Bonus day on the course Saturday. A little rain and it was very soft, but reasonably warm and the snow was gone. Mainly worked on testing and didn't bother with scorekeeping.

Swing was up and down until I got warmed up a bit. Then it was perfectly mediocre.

My swing is GONE. It's frustrating as hell, yesterday was rough, and I still managed some birds.

To the range today and tomorrow, as well as back to chipping practice with the t grinds back in the bag.

Surprisingly warm weekend lead to a little time on the range yesterday. Ball striking wasn't terrible but everything is going left. The struggle to combat the over the top move continues.

Grandaddy prep with Adamw238 he shot some video for me. Full swing is feeling good, I got my heal miss sorted out..it has been an issue for months. Adam has been a big help prepping for the Grandaddy of them all!
https://vimeo.com/112757344

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have been focusing my practices on chipping and putting for the past few weeks and the results are starting to show. Last two round I've been up/down 65% with 30 and 29 putts. Changed my wedges from a 51/56 to 51/54/58 and have worked on dialing in the 58 for chipping and am really liking the inspired confidence and the results. Finally gotten my handi into the single digits. Time to hit the range and work on my iron striking.

Going to go get a legit practice session in here after work. I'm excited.

Need to work on the posture and alignment with my driver swing again, falling back into the WAY too right alignment I've been known to have issues with.

It was 62 degrees out today, and tomorrow it's going to snow, so off to the range I went on my lunch break. Started with my 54* and worked my way back, just working on weight shift. When it feels like I'm trying to jam my entire left foot through the ground to start the downswing, I hit fantastic iron shots. Feels like my leg is straightening as well, but didn't take any video to see if the feel was real. Hit a bunch of really decent irons all the way down to 5i today, but couldn't carry that over to the driver. Lots of pop flies. Got the G30 fairway working a lot better though from the deck by messing with ball placement, which was good.

Headed back to the range again tonight. Hybrid and fairway woods didn't feel right last night.

Headed back to the range again tonight. Hybrid and fairway woods didn't feel right last night.

Stay smooth big fella! What didn't feel right??

I cannot freaking wait to start practicing again. I've missed practicing quite a bit because of the weather, but lesson package starts this weekend and I'll be spending more time practicing and I'm dying to get back into that routine again. I haven't had a good range or practice session since the end of October at Pine Lakes and once I got into that groove I was absolutely killing the ball. I'm so freaking jacked up to start practicing again it's not even funny.

Stay smooth big fella! What didn't feel right??

Just felt a little stuck getting through the zone. Tonight is a different story. Out here working before the cold snap. Long irons are feeling sweet!

I cannot freaking wait to start practicing again. I've missed practicing quite a bit because of the weather, but lesson package starts this weekend and I'll be spending more time practicing and I'm dying to get back into that routine again. I haven't had a good range or practice session since the end of October at Pine Lakes and once I got into that groove I was absolutely killing the ball. I'm so freaking jacked up to start practicing again it's not even funny.

Man I miss that passion, I haven't had the desire to practice since the end of July buddy. I've been a few times but it was really uneventful. I'm hoping it comes back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back