A classy story - for a change

Pretty cool story. I know some will be upset because they may feel like this kid was handed the tourney (which in a way he was) but its not like he was in last place and leap frogging anyone else. Thanks for the read.

I don't think he should have made it as obvious as he did....why not play like Phil did on the 72nd hole at Winged Foot?

Yeah, I read that. Thought it was pretty cool that his team agreed with it as well. I posted a response on there, kind of funny reading some of those who said stuff like "if your not first your last". While I can agree, I still look at it as something only golf brings to the table.

Great story. Good to see someone thinking about something other than themselves.

I just read this same story on ESPN. I thought it was a cool gesture. And its his choice so I have problem with it.

I'm a little confused at the whole ordeal, but I'm not really a fan of throwing games, or in this case a match, and giving another player a win.

At least if he was going to do it, make it less obvious and don't SAY you did it!

If I was the guy who won because of this, I wouldn't even have felt like I won. That's like saying "I went into a playoff with Phil Mickelson and he purposely shanked his shot, but hey, I beat Phil!"

Could be just me though. Always a possibility. :D

classless to throw the match, players should earn their way into tournaments not be gifted things. If I was the kid who got in because of the thrown match I wouldn't even want to play in that tourney, as I would know I hadn't earned my spot

the worst part is the kid telling everyone that he threw the match, the guy that lost on purpose and the kid who shouldn't have been there in the first place should both be banned from that upcoming tourney.

it's a game of integrity, and this kid shows a big lack of it by his actions. Although his intentions were good (in his head at least), the way he did things was all kinds of wrong

Nice gesture, but goes against the spirit of competition in my opinion.

If I was the guy who won because of this, I wouldn't even have felt like I won. That's like saying "I went into a playoff with Phil Mickelson and he purposely shanked his shot, but hey, I beat Phil!"

I agree - I wouldn't want to win this way.

A great attitude and I respect his decision. I don't think it was the best way to play it out, but it happens. He could have just missed the putt or had a bad chip shot if he didn't want to make it obvious to have the same gesture. If the guy doesn't do well or if he wins the the National competition, people will always think that he didn't deserve to play the match. Oh well, the world will keep spinning regardless.

.............the guy that lost on purpose and the kid who shouldn't have been there in the first place should both be banned from that upcoming tourney.
I don't think you can throw out the guy who was handed the match: He did not get his opportunity to prove that he could have won it legitimately. Unless he was somehow in on it, he shouldn't get thrown out.

As for the guy who threw the match, I think it is a distinct possibility that he will get thrown out, for corrupting the upcoming tournament (even though he probably meant well).

I wonder if they didn't post comments from the guy who got in because he was pissed off and didn't say anything appreciative?

Merged with the other thread on the topic.

darn it! lol. only 3 days late

read this on Yahoo. very classy move IMO. some might not agree and might think it could've been handled differently. maybe he should've just conceded?

My first thought was that if throwing the hole was the intent of the gesture, then he could have conceded... but I don't think a player can concede anything in a stroke play tournament. There are two reasons that I am ok with this.

1. The gentleman getting the spot did not cost another person that spot. If he had bumped out another player then I would have a very different opinion of the action
2. The tourney had gone to a playoff. He had played well enough to win the tournament in regulation. If this happened on the 18th hole, during regulation play, I wouldn't agree with the action.

i also read where the guy would've won anyway cuz the article got the scores wrong. he really stuck his shot for a birdie and the guy that threw the hole bogeyed the hole (not dbl bogey)

Back