Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Ball Review Thread

We were lucky to get to try these out at the Gauntlet and I still have a few sleeves to play around with. When I put these in play, I was playing the Callaway SR2 ball which I had spent most of the summer with, and found to be the best fit for me among their current lines.

My very initial impressions were:
  • The ball felt very good coming off of the driver specifically and really all the clubs.
  • Definitely felt softer than the SR2, more in line with the SuperSoft if memory serves. In my memory, this was noticeable with all clubs.
  • The distances seemed to be right in line with the SR2.
  • I did feel that these spun less around the green than the SR2 that I was used to. Not a tremendous amount less, but enough that I felt it was noticeable.

I will spend more time with these as I get back out to play, and I will admit I am a horrible ball tester, but I remember thinking that these were a nice ball but that I liked the SR2 a bit better due to greenside spin (which I can't afford to give up without adjustments). The price point is in-line with the previous Chrome pricing, although I would be more likely to play this ball over the SR2 if it was closer to $30 instead of $38. Callaway made major improvements last year with their golf balls on both ends of the spectrum, and I think the new Chrome Softs can serve a nice in between range with the best characteristics of both ends.

I have enjoyed the Chrome, then the Chrome +, but have moved on to a softer ball. Really looking forward to hitting this ball.

I agree in that I believe the pricing is a bit too close to premium balls to get people to make a jump. If it way closer to 30 than 30 I think it would draw more looks

So my question is why isn't this considered a Premium Tour Ball - or is it, and Callaway is just looking at shaking up the pricing model for the Tour Premium ball category

What makes a ball Premium Tour?
I would say most sadly base it on price.
The closest thing I would say is 3 layers+ and urethane covered.
This covers those.

I have been very impressed with this ball so far. I have played the Bridgestone 330-RX for several years now and really never thought of switching. I have also never liked a Callaway ball prior. They are basically trying to create a new category of ball with this one and I think if people give it a try it will work. Much like when the balata balls first came out, the feel is very unique when matched with the performance you get. It made the SR2's at the performance center feel almost hard in comparison. For a tour ball the only damage I was able to do to the cover was hitting a cart path. Other than that there was no issues. I am looking forward to the spring when I can compare them head to head with my gamers at my home course but if I had to guess these would win out and the price point will certainly be a factor.

What makes a ball Premium Tour?
I would say most sadly base it on price.
The closest thing I would say is 3 layers+ and urethane covered.
This covers those.

That's what I thought. Sadly, a lot of golfers associate price with quality and thus might not view this ball as an alternative to their $45/doz gamer.

That's what I thought. Sadly, a lot of golfers associate price with quality and thus might not view this ball as an alternative to their $45/doz gamer.

That is true. We have watched countless people compare 3 piece urethane covered balls like the RX and Chrome to the NXT Tour numerous times.

#Cookie,
What did you notice off the tee? I found a ball that appeared to offer low spin and had this compression like feel to it. It reminded me of the SuperSoft off the tee in regards to the feel, but with a more muted sound.

Definitely had that SuperSoft feel off the tee, very easy to compress (which I love) in addition to adding spin around the greens where I need it.

To me, it's like the SuperSoft but with better greenside performance. I definitely need/want to get it out locally and see what it does as I was having a hard time judging distance with so many new variables in the bag when on the course for these few days.

It would've been easy to share feedback based on Tuesday's round but then with the change in greens heading into Wednesday it made me pause a bit to make sure I get my opinion right on these. I also want to spend some short game time with these compared to SuperSoft and see just how differently they react head to head.

I received a sleeve of these in the last Team Callaway shipment (confirmed with a Callaway representative in Carlsbad that these were Chrome Soft) and took them to the course to put against Pro V1X, Pro V1, Tour Preferred X, B330, and Lethal. I played six holes, hitting all off the tee to see if distance was different, I hit all from 150 using a full 9 iron, dropped them at 60 yards so I could hit a spinning wedge to see if It grabbed and would hit and stop. In my quick test on all these shots, this was just as long off the tee, for me, as the others. The ball flight was mid-trajectory and really held its line into the wind. The longest drive with Chrome Soft vs the others was dead into the wind- it was 7 yards longer than the next closest and was the straightest in the wind! Feel off the driver, thankfully, was NOT like Supersoft! This actually had a little audible noise! I hated Supersoft off driver as I heard nothing! Supersoft was like hitting a "super ball"! Just mush! Yuck! I couldn't tell if I hit it! I really liked the sound/feel of this ball! It was a lot like the Pro V1 to me.

Full 9 iron, again, as long as the others with almost identical spin. I hit a high ball, so I purposely flighted all of these down to see rollout and these performed just as the others- one bounce and held. Again, a nice flight into wind that did a great job holding its line.

60 yard shots was where I saw this was REALLY equal to the top balls in golf. I didn't expect draw-back, to be honest. A lot of balls are marketed as "spin like Tour balls" but actually don't grab and pull back... These did! I actually hit three in-a-row on the first hole just because I didn't believe what I saw! It hit, bounced out about three feet, then came right back! Awesome! Great feel, again! Not that Supersoft mush!!!

Putting felt great too and, again, it had audible feedback to help gauge contact made. Nice feel!

If these sell for less than $40/dozen, I'll have a tough choice to make. I have access to a ball I put this against and at a cheap rate. With shipping, this ball will be $5 more per dozen... It performed well enough to REALLY make me ponder. The flight off the driver into the wind, and with the wind coming right-to-left is where it got me. Talk about hold a line and pierce through wind! Great trajectory, feel, spin, SOUND, and it isn't a "sphere of mush"! Callaway has a great ball on their hands here.

p.s. Where I live is 72 ft above sea level, high humidity...

Last edited:
From my limited putter testing on these, they are very soft (probably due to the cover) when compared to really any other ball. They don't make an audible click off the putter, more like a muted thud.
I have used Supersoft's before and really liked them, also have used Hex Chrome's and like those as well. Hope to test some during a round soon (if weather permits).

I must be in the minority when it comes to balls and cost. With so many out on the market and the ability to get quality used balls It's easy to find a ball that doesn't break the bank.

I'll pick up a dozen to give them a run and see how they work out.

I must be in the minority when it comes to balls and cost. With so many out on the market and the ability to get quality used balls It's easy to find a ball that doesn't break the bank.

I'll pick up a dozen to give them a run and see how they work out.

Sadly I think THPers ARE the minority when i comes to most things golf equipment. Especially balls.

Pkielwa, nice review on this new ball, while I'm not sure about that price with all the statements I've read from those who have played this ball I will be trying it once I'm in weather suitable for playing.

This thread will certainly be followed by a lot of people, the ball that changed the ball is just too intriguing of a come on for anyone that is really interested in golf to not follow along with these comments.

I know many of us here play the B330-RX and that is the ball I am seeing at the most like the Chrome Soft, with the MSRP being lower on the CS I imagine all of us will be doing our own head to head sooner rather than later.

I'll buy a box and try them alongside the many SR2s I have leftover from #TheKing. I've enjoyed that ball. I love the yellow offering, too.

This thread will certainly be followed by a lot of people, the ball that changed the ball is just too intriguing of a come on for anyone that is really interested in golf to not follow along with these comments.

I know many of us here play the B330-RX and that is the ball I am seeing at the most like the Chrome Soft, with the MSRP being lower on the CS I imagine all of us will be doing our own head to head sooner rather than later.

I concur, very intriguing. It's being marketed very shrewdly by CG. I see google sending plenty of 'guests' to this thread along with us THPers. That we have a pretty decent sized contingent who've played the ball already, adds unique validity to the reviews here.

I definitely want to try these... But $38 is more than I choose to spend on golf balls.

Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Ball Review Thread

Sadly I think THPers ARE the minority when i comes to most things golf equipment. Especially balls.

I disagree, but not going to derail this thread.

Last edited:
So is it a 3 or 4 piece ball? With a compression of 65, this certainly isn't going to be used on tour, is it? As good as they sound, they kind of sound to me like a lot of other balls out there in the $30 range, but they are just slapping a urethane cover on it and calling it a tour ball. Given that tour balls are too hard for most golfers (even though most think they should play them) of course the average golfer will have distance and performance gains while playing a ball that has lower compression since it would be right for their swing.

So of the ones who have already tried this I guess I have two questions:

1) What do you normally play?
2) What is your typical swing speed?

I already know everyone is raving about them, and I am certainly wanting to try them for myself, but I guess after reading the description they really don't sound much different than say the E6/RZN Red/Q-star/NXT type ball.

I have been playing the Chrome Soft for the last few rounds I played as I received a dozen at The Gauntlet. My normal ball is either the SR2 or the B330-RX. I found the Chrome Soft to be very comparable to both of those in both distance and spin. They definitely feel quite a bit softer than the SR2 though. I played yesterday and had multiple time where I would spin a ball of the green when using short clubs. I interchanged two of the balls through 16 holes before I got a case of the hooks and lost them both on one hole. Neither had any scuffs and I had hit a tree or two and been in the sand a few times.

At the price point, I'm not sure they can be beat right now for me.

I already know everyone is raving about them, and I am certainly wanting to try them for myself, but I guess after reading the description they really don't sound much different than say the E6/RZN Red/Q-star/NXT type ball.

Most of the balls you list do NOT have a Urethane cover, meaning they won't give you close to the short game spin that you'd get with the Chrome Soft (or other Urethane-covered balls)

So is it a 3 or 4 piece ball? With a compression of 65, this certainly isn't going to be used on tour, is it? As good as they sound, they kind of sound to me like a lot of other balls out there in the $30 range, but they are just slapping a urethane cover on it and calling it a tour ball. Given that tour balls are too hard for most golfers (even though most think they should play them) of course the average golfer will have distance and performance gains while playing a ball that has lower compression since it would be right for their swing.

So of the ones who have already tried this I guess I have two questions:

1) What do you normally play?
2) What is your typical swing speed?

Honest question, what makes a Pro V1 a tour level golf ball?
They are VERY different than the balls you listed.

I believe the price is actually going to be around $38
Ooof. Double the SuperSoft? That's even a bit more expensive than the Project (a). I was hoping for a price point around the Bridgestone e series. Not an extra dollar per ball.

Ooof. Double the SuperSoft? That's even a bit more expensive than the Project (a). I was hoping for a price point around the Bridgestone e series. Not an extra dollar per ball.

The e Series does not have a 3+ layer ball with a urethane cover.

Back