IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Here’s the official synopsis for American Sniper:
U.S. Navy SEAL Chris Kyle is sent to Iraq with only one mission: to protect his brothers-in-arms. His pinpoint accuracy saves countless lives on the battlefield and, as stories of his courageous exploits spread, he earns the nickname “Legend.” However, his reputation is also growing behind enemy lines, putting a price on his head and making him a prime target of insurgents. He is also facing a different kind of battle on the home front: striving to be a good husband and father from halfway around the world.

Despite the danger, as well as the toll on his family at home, Chris serves through four harrowing tours of duty in Iraq, personifying the spirit of the SEAL creed to “leave no one behind.” But upon returning to his wife, Taya Renae Kyle (Sienna Miller), and kids, Chris finds that it is the war he can’t leave behind.​

bradley-cooper-american-sniper1-600x251.jpg

Is this the man that bounced a bad guy from 2 miles away?

Is this the man that bounced a bad guy from 2 miles away?

I'm not sure anybody has done that. Longest I have seen is a 1.53 mile shot. It was by a Brit.

No. Chris Kyle is credited 160 confirmed kills and 255 probable.

But not one of them was ever in considered for the longest kill.

The current record as I remember is held by Craig Harrison of the UK at 2707 yards with a 338 lapua. Or 1.5 miles at that distance the bullet was in the air for roughly 6 seconds.

He also walked it into target, meaning he missed but was able to either watch the bullet trace to impact or saw the bullet strike dirt, and used that to make his next shot closer. He did this 3 times before registering 2 kills at that distance.

Energy at that distance is comparable to a 45 acp ball round at point blank range.

A lot of luck and skill involved in that shot.

It was also in Afghanistan were they often shoot mountain to mountain, which is why so many long kills are recorded there.

Chris Kyle was mostly deployed in Iraq, which was more close quarter city style warfare.

Some of the details of how they got kills are not very, nice, and some people might find them deplorable, but Chris Kyles work, along with the rest of seal team 3, saved lives, and that man will forever be a hero, even if some of his post service acts were... Suspect.

On a side note, one of my buddies, a former Marine had met Kyle before he was famous, I can't remember if it was in Iraq or somewhere else, he said he was just an awesome dude.

I thought the book was just okay. I'm still going to see the movie.

The book was hard to read.

Lone Survivor, was better.

The Red Circle was good, much easier to read. The co-author of The Red Circle was involved in training both Chris Kyle and Marcus Luttrell. It's a really good read for somethings. It even has a golf story in it. Haha.

The movie leaves out the part where Chris made up a story about Jesse Ventura for his book and lost a libel lawsuit.

I just started reading his autobiography not long ago, and actually just dropped it back off at the library. I've only made it through seven chapters so far, but its pretty good so far. Its cool to read their stories and all their experiences and stuff. I can't wait for the movie.

Looks meh. But then again I thought Lone Survivor was a terrible film as well so maybe I hate the genre.

Looks meh. But then again I thought Lone Survivor was a terrible film as well so maybe I hate the genre.
Or maybe your just a tree hugging hippie Haha :)

I think the trailer looks awesome and I will definitely be seeing it.

Or maybe your just a tree hugging hippie Haha :)

My voter registration card disagrees with you. Don't get me wrong I love war movies, but this looks like Hurt Locker with a sniper rifle.

My voter registration card disagrees with you. Don't get me wrong I love war movies, but this looks like Hurt Locker with a sniper rifle.

Eh? I thought that mnovie was phenomenal.

Didn't hurt locker have a sniper rifle?

Nope I'm thinking of Jarhead.

(hurt locker did have that 50 though! Anti material)

Eh? I thought that mnovie was phenomenal.

Hurt Locker? It was an awesome movie. Thats why I feel like this has been done before.

I thought the book was rubbish, without a doubt one of the worst biographies I've ever read. However, beefy Bradley Cooper has me looking forward to seeing this.

I am looking forward to seeing this. I haven't read the book yet. I think I'll watch the movie first. Then, read the book. If I read the book first, the movie almost always dissappoints.

I wasn't a fan of Hurt Locker. And, I haven't seen Lone Survivor yet. But, it is on the list.

For those who like this genre, I highly recommend, "Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills". It is one of the books about Carlos Hathcock.

This slightly hits home as I think of my best friend back in B.U.D.S again. I'm looking forward to seeing this movie.

The Hurt Locker is probably the strongest post September 11th war movie out there.

The Hurt Locker is probably the strongest post September 11th war movie out there.

The ending of Zero Dark Thirty is up there.

I think I'll give it a go. I enjoy most of Coopers work, and this is way out in left field to most of what he's done in the past, so.

This thread is off to an interesting start......not what I was really expecting or hoping for. Thought there might be a bit more excitement for it. Hoping Clint does it justice in the end. He's a fascinating character and symbol of what is right imo.

The book definitely doesn't have a nice flow to it to make it easy to read, it jumps all over. But it's still a pretty cool story of a pretty interesting life. Maybe an instance where the movie works better than the book. I think it will be good.

Back