Niblick Unboxing & Thread

When using my niblick in wet sand or hard packed sand and the ball is sitting on top, I try and pick it clean using a chipping stroke. Much better results.

Thanks I'll try that. I think I may have to get a more standard wedge for when its buried though...

Try searching within this massive thread for "bunkers" or "sand" and you will find a lot of discussion. I'm one of those that never got the hang of the 56 out of sand, but FWIW I think a traditional wedge might be easier out of wet sand. The broad sole makes it very tough to get into wet sand and under the ball.
Thanks I'll try that. I think I may have to get a more standard wedge for when its buried though...

2left

hmm after giving it some thought and checking clubs and yardages, I opted to order the 49° nibbie. It's the pitch shots I'm looking to improve on so I think this will work just fine.

Thanks

After having played my 56*now for 2 full round- I thought I would drop my own mini review in this thread.

Full swings: I haven't quite dialed in the distance I get with a full swing- Its somewhere in the 50-60 yard range and has the trajectory of a wrist-y 60* wedge. I feel bad hitting it full into really soft greens because it leaves a crater (I still do it anyways). The look at address takes a little getting used to but after a few practice swings it doesn't phase me anymore. It will end up being a pin seeker when I get it nailed down.

Pitches: I have never been a "pitch" player. I either played a flop or a hit-and-run. That is slowly starting to change with this club. The 56* is a bit much for a true pitch and it reminds me more of a hybrid pitch/flop. I don't have a swing that produces a lot of spin and don't get balls to check up well no mater how I hit things. The niblick gives me pretty good spin and the higher flight places less emphasis on the one hop and check pitching method. I haven't been comfortable enough to try this during a round but it will make its first appearance very soon.

Chipping: While this isn't the forte for this particular Niblick loft I find that it is very serviceable. When I was reading the original reviews I had this impression that as soon as I got a niblick that my around the green game would vastly improve (Dumb, I know). To be clear I still struggle with this club in many of the same ways I struggle with a wedge. I tend to get nervous and timid, decelerating through impact and scuffing the club. During my practice with it I didn't have any such troubles- telling me my confidence in a live situation is the thing really lacking.

Sand: This club is boss. It is as close to a "point and click" sand-wedge as I have ever used. While I may not have the finesse shot that someone good with a wedge can accomplish- I ALWAYS get it out of the bunker (which is a significant improvement to my game). I am still working with my regular wedge to improve, but this club really has my back when it comes to preventing the dreaded "multiple shots out of the same bunker" that I so often struggle with.

Overall: This is a great club. Unbelievable club. MANY people would benefit from adding it to their bag. That said, it is only a club and user error can still rear its ugly head. It takes practice to get the feel for it and practice to develop the confidence to use it correctly. My only real complaint with the club is coming out of the rough. In really "fluffy" lies I have on a couple occasions slid completely under the ball resulting in a 2ft shot off the top. It doesn't happen much with the more controlled swings (pitch/chip) but with a 3/4 to full swing it can happen when I stop paying attention.

Hope that helps others who are looking at these clubs. I know I appreciate all the reviews here that helped me choose it!

Awesome stuff RX.

That's really good stuff Gus.

I love these clubs, and I've grown to love the looks I get leading up to me sticking it near the pin on full swings and chips/pitches. So much fun!

I have been hitting a 42 niblick for awhile great club

I like it's use around the green good roll great chipper

More and more I'm thinking of trying a 56* Niblick for EVERYTHING 60 yards and in....Just gotta buy one first HAHA

56 is amazing, buy it today, ebay has good deals

Great -- hope it works out for you. Perhaps like you, my 588RS was too close in performance to the 56 Niblick to keep the 56. Seems like the 49 will fill your PW/54 gap nicely. Of course, seeing as you still have room in your bag, will you be able to stop at just one Niblick? :)
2left

hmm after giving it some thought and checking clubs and yardages, I opted to order the 49° nibbie. It's the pitch shots I'm looking to improve on so I think this will work just fine.

Thanks

Another buyer

Another buyer

I just signed up to THP and as I said in my intro - I just bought one of these guys. I picked up the 56 degree and will extend it an inch (I'm 6'4') so I'll let you guys know how that goes.

I'm also just about to pick up a new irons set through GW, otherwise I would have grabbed the 49. I chose the 56 as I am pretty comfy with my existing 52 degree wedge's roll-out for chipping and thought the 49 would compete too closely with that and the 50 GW I'll get. That and the fact my local greens are tiny and I can use some shots that just drop.

Eph

6th round with the Niblicks. An ugly 59 on the front, but a very very nice 44 on the back. I can honestly say that having these clubs has completely changed my game from 130 yards in. The 37 and 42 in particular are working fantastically. And I have the soft chips working well too.

I played today with a couple of 8 handicappers and it was nice hearing them say 'great shot' as I launched beautiful high balls onto the green again and again. It really is almost automatic now. On the back 9, I played 'to the Niblick' trying to make sure my approach to the green was always 90-130 yards out- even if it meant laying up on some strange situations. The result was pretty impressive.

Anyway I think these clubs are a godsend for players at my level. They are in my bag for good. And if Cleveland ever makes a 32*, I'll buy that as well!

Last edited:
Moved post to the Niblick thread.

56 Niblick got here this morning and I added an inch and half and regripped it with the Cleveland OEM grip.

Wow. This guy took a few practice swings to get used to (where to place and then hit against the ball) but, once you get it figured out, it is nice and smooth. I feel the heavy clubhead weight really makes for a smooth, easy, "mass"ive swing. A short putter swing and boom, I'm consistently flying 30 feet and rolling out 15 already. Now I just got to figure out how to make it drop and stop like others apparently do and I can begin to get a handle on my local tiny greens.

holy guacamole

holy guacamole

after reading 38 pages about the niblick i decided to try it out
a 49 * holy !@#$%^ this thing is so easy to hit:blob:
theres another forum site that sorta shuns you if youve got one in your bag but in here
people are more open minded about it

went to the range and can not believe how good this thing is for chipping
hope to lower my scores soon :banana:
thanks everyone

lol same here Charlie! :act-up: and good to hear about the Niblick fore!

I don't know how much longer I'll be able to hold out on getting a Niblick. I hope its not something that I'm over hyping to myself!

Its one of the few things in life that actually lives up to the hype....

after reading 38 pages about the niblick i decided to try it out
a 49 * holy !@#$%^ this thing is so easy to hit:blob:
theres another forum site that sorta shuns you if youve got one in your bag but in here
people are more open minded about it

went to the range and can not believe how good this thing is for chipping
hope to lower my scores soon :banana:
thanks everyone

Moved this over to the Niblick thread. You wont find that condescending attitude at THP. We actually play golf here!

Niblick Unboxing & Thread

JB said:
Moved this over to the Niblick thread. You wont find that condescending attitude at THP. We actually play golf here!
Niblicks, for the THP golfer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK! I got a 49 degree Niblick and have been using it for a variety of shots. Wet sand, chipping around the green, chipping from 50 yards and in. Been practicing full, 3/4 and half swing shots from 100 and in.

Overall I find the Niblick very accurate. Hitting it at the pin, to spots on the green and watching it roll to the pin are possible for me now with this club.

Yesterday on the 16 hole a par 3, I chunked my drive 100 yards leaving me a 78 yard shot to the pin according to my GolfLogix GPS. Got the Niblick out and hit it 74 yards up on the elevated green and watched it roll into the hole to my delight!

Get a Niblick. Fun Club!

Hey guys, decided I am going to get a niblick as my short game has to improve if I ever want to see mid 70's again. I am stuck on exactly which I need. Probably the clubs I go to most every round are my 8 and 9 iron. Most of my approach shots are with them, as well as almost every tee shot on par 3's (Anything from 130 to 160). I hit them pretty well for the most part. The weakest part of my game is by far shots from about 115 in. I don't have a good feel for how far my GW or LW can go (possibly because I blade them or hit them fat when I try to use full swings), so anything below a full or 3/4 PW swing is iffy to say the least. My 60* is good on lob shots from 20 - 25 yards or so, but I rarely try to push it farther than that.

With that being said, would a 37* or 42* make those approach shots with my 8i or 9i even better, or should point my focus more towards the 49* or 56*? I am not opposed to bagging two niblicks if I think it will help my game. My mind tells me go with the 49* and 56*, but I just didn't know if having both the 49* and 56* would be beneficial or cause me confusion in which to use in situations where either would be viable. Maybe a 42* and 56*? Looking forward to the feedback!

I have a 49* Nib and quite enjoy it. My PW is 46* and distance is about 130. I hit the Niblick about 110 max. I have a CG10 54* and hit that 100y. I don't tend to use the nib for full shots though. It is MONEY for me with a 3/4 swing, kind of a knock down shot. I also chip a fair amount with it as I am terrible at chipping. I was chunking it about 40%-50% of the time. With the Nib, I now only chunk it about 10%. And those chunks are better.

I'd just identify where your gaps are and where you need the most help, and go from there. I thought I needed it as a gap wedge, and so far is does that, but also helps with a couple other areas.

I have all four Niblicks. Looking at your needs from 115 yards and in, I would say get the 49* for sure, because with your stats the 49* nib should get you around 115-120 yards with a full swing. For me, the 56* took more getting used to because of the higher bounce, and the fact that my home course has thin lies. If finances are not an issue, go ahead and get both. They are fun clubs that will lower your scores.

Back