Mizuno JPX 850 Driver

Hey Garethw. You will find this driver goes longer with a smooth swing. When I first bought mine, I thought I was losing distance. I definitely gained accuracy so I was okay with the loss. But, I have since found the right set up for me and as of now, I am as long or maybe a tad longer in 40-50 degree weather as I was last summer. I am anxiously waiting for spring now to see what the true distance will be. Hang in there and I am sure you will see the distance.

You are right about the stiff shaft. To me, it plays a flex stiffer.

That comment is 100% true.

Smooth controlled swings were putting my ball in places I haven't been on the fairway before. Its very long for me. Ball flight was higher this morning (possibly due to not using range balls) carrying 220 - 230 on average, total distances including roll according to my GPS were averaging out around 240, a couple of long ones at 258 and 261. Luckily the course was quite damp this morning so I could see where the ball landed and rolled out to. I've never seen that distance before. Accuracy is up 8 out of 14 fairways hit, 3 went through the fairway due to the amount of roll, 1 ended up just off in the first cut and 2 big big wild slices into oblivion.

I am going to persevere with the stock stiff shaft. I have another 2 rounds booked this week so will see what happens.

Curious to what you guys have found after a few weeks with this.

Curious to what you guys have found after a few weeks with this.

Yeah there was some big hype/excitement there for a bit. Some interesting feedback coming, but not as much as I expected.

I suspect it's like the fairway line, good step for mizuno, not quite there yet though. That of course is my take with spending time with what I have.

Yeah there was some big hype/excitement there for a bit. Some interesting feedback coming, but not as much as I expected.

I suspect it's like the fairway line, good step for mizuno, not quite there yet though. That of course is my take with spending time with what I have.
I hit it at PGASS the other night. I love the blue and it sets up really nice. Honestly wasn't anything special for me but wasn't bad either. It's probably not really made for a person with a swing like mine so with that in mind it was better than I expected but numbers wise the V-series, Alpha 815, and Cobra Fly-Z were all superior but again that may just have more to do with my swing. Interested to hear some of the guys that have had it in course and played a few rounds with it.

I have found the driver to be a solid, very forgiven driver. My spin numbers are definitely down. Proof of this is my ball flight and roll out.

The hybrid is a hit and miss. With my 913 hybrid, I can grip it and rip it. The shaft is shorter and the head is heavier. With my Mizuno, if I rip it a grip it, it will fade/slice. The head is longer than the 913 an not as deep. The 913 definitely sets up better.

My 3 and 5 woods are spot on. This is the first woods that I have owned that I can actually set up for a baby draw. Very easy off the tee and easier off the fairway. Length is the same as all the others.

I am definitely glad I purchased the driver and woods and it would take a special driver to remove those from my bag. I have had this for several weeks and have no desire to play or look at another. This is a first for me. The hybrid is something that I can live without. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice hybrid. I just feel like my 913 inspires more confidence. Plus, the 915 looks like a winner. I probably should have purchased that instead.

One final comment. I love the driver and woods so much, I purchased the 850f irons. I just received them and have had only one range session but based on that, they will be replacing my Ping I25's.

I hit it at PGASS the other night. I love the blue and it sets up really nice. Honestly wasn't anything special for me but wasn't bad either. It's probably not really made for a person with a swing like mine so with that in mind it was better than I expected but numbers wise the V-series, Alpha 815, and Cobra Fly-Z were all superior but again that may just have more to do with my swing. Interested to hear some of the guys that have had it in course and played a few rounds with it.

There was some from Tadashi and Mward briefly from our range session and from me as well. FWIW, all had similar results to what you saw. I agree that I love the look of it.

I've had the 3 wood for a couple weeks and still haven't been able to hit it. I will still give this a shot before next golf season.

I ordered one of these blind from Japan. I think I may have made a mistake on the shaft flex as it arrived Friday with the Motore Speeder vc 6.3 in stiff. First range session I really struggled and was just seeing a low side of medium ball flight. Yesterday I hit the range again, played about with the weights and loft and have them in 2 + 3 set at 11.5*. This resulted in a slightly higher flight but a more curved flight as opposed to going high and dropping which is what I was seeing with BB.

The shaft is to stiff (I think). I have been using my Swingbyte over the last week or so with the driver. It may not be the most accurate of devices but the numbers I was seeing with BB compared to the 850 speak for themselves. Swing speed is up from 92 - 95mph to 94 to 97mph, angle of attack has changed from between -5 to 0 with BB to +2 to +6 with the JPX. I am swinging slightly in to out with the club face square or slightly closed. I've been working on this over the last couple of months but this is the first time I have consistently hit up with a in to out path with the head square / slightly closed. Both shafts are 45 inches.

The ball flight is just straight, yesterday there was a marginal increase in trajectory with a more "rainbow" arc to it. The back fence of the local range is 210 yards I could carry that and hit the fence anyway from the bottom to 6 - 10 feet up from the ground. It might not be the greatest of distances but it was consistent and more importantly straight for me. Looking at the club face the majority of hits are around the centre of the club face. I'm not sure whether the smaller head or thinking the shaft is to stiff has helped me put a more deliberate swing on it but I appear to be having better hits on the range at least.

I do not like the sound of it and it feels completely different to my BB, it feels dead as opposed to lively but its straight and the blue is gorgeous, with the BB I could tell from the feel and sound when I caught it right, with the 850 it feels and sounds the same no matter where I hit it. I am playing tomorrow and baring any club killing denting/cracking the toe instances I am looking forward to seeing where I end up off the tee. On well struck shots with my BB I would get a high flight but very little roll, I have been averaging around 225 yards recently, I think / hope the lower flatter flight might give me some more roll on landing.

Interesting that the feedback you mention is very similar to what some have experienced with the 850 forged irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had 2 rounds with this now. I think had I had another driver in the house this wouldn't have gone past the driving range last weekend. FORTUNATELY its the only driver in my house at the moment so I had to use it. I love the looks and the way it sits behind the ball I also like the size 440 as opposed to the 460 heads for some reason suit my eye better. The sound on well struck shots is growing on me, BUT the feeling is different with the Big Bertha a good shot felt as if I had crushed the ball and made really good contact that feeling is missing with the JPX.

Due to the slightly smaller head size and a shaft which I still believe is to stiff for me, I am forcing myself to really try and control my swing. The evidence of this, is in the ball flight and distance gains I am getting. The flight is straight on well hit shots in a rainbow type arc, I'd say now its only a little lower than my Big Bertha was but more penetrating with far more roll on landing. My typical miss is low heel which would give me a very low shot out to the left and slicing back to the right, with the 850 its a lot straighter and slightly higher and not as penalising.

Yesterday I had some dental surgery and not much sleep so nothing was really working this morning. A couple caught high on the face sent the ball up high but straight and still with reasonable distance, a couple of mandatory high flying slices but further forwards than BB use to give me. But the controlled smooth swings were mostly straight with 2 that were gentle drawing down the fairway (a rare occurrence with my swing).

I always use the same caddie at my home course and she knows exactly how far I go off the tee with a decent swing, this morning she was amazed at the distance gained and actually gave me my mini driver on a couple of holes. Thats a compliment from her. A passive brag now, I hit my longest drive to date 269 yards on a par 5 straight down the middle, previously with BB the longest I had ever been was 240 yards. I am averaging around the 240 mark with the JPX which I think is about a 15 yard gain.

Drivers are a bit like buses here at the moment, after Fridays accident and not expecting Callaway to replace my BB I went online to look for a replacement head, upshot was a new 815 Alpha was not that much more expensive so I ordered one of those instead, I then got news from Callaway that they will replace my broken head with a new one. I also had ordered a Adams XTD TI at the beginning of November, this went AWOL in Ebays Global Shipping Programme but has now arrived at work which I go back to middle of January. Unless the 815 or Adams are exceptionally better for me than the JPX, I won't be replacing it anytime soon.

Interesting that the feedback you mention is very similar to what some have experienced with the 850 forged irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also love the look of those 850 forged irons.

Thanks for the updates guys. I have never gamed a Mizuno wood so this club is very intriguing to me. I see Niteowl lurking in here and I know he purchased one. Any updates so far Aaron?

Mp driver in six months??

So how did this do in the Driver testing today?

That says more than you know.

It's one of the better drivers mizuno has made, if that makes sense.

As others have stated though, it's still lacking a little bit.

I can't recall many hitting it to be honest. Not for long anyway.

Actually most took a couple of swings. I know a few will chime in with their feedback. To put it mildly, it was not requested to hit the course where others definitely were.

I can't recall many hitting it to be honest. Not for long anyway.

Actually most took a couple of swings. I know a few will chime in with their feedback. To put it mildly, it was not requested to hit the course where others definitely were.
I put as many swings on it as most of the other drivers. I do think it's the best driver Mizuno has released in a number of years (I gamed the MP001 for a couple of seasons), but it didn't really stand out from the others as far as performance. Not bad, but not great, either. I did like the blue finish.

I hit a few balls with it at the range. I do like the blue color and the sound while loud compared to most drivers is liveable. The forgiveness of this club seemed a good bit less then everything else I hit out there today. I did catch two right on the screws and the feel was great but I wasn't blown away with the distance it flew by any means compared to a few others I hit

I hit it for a short period, not a fan. Wasn't long, particularly accurate or great feeling.

Good thoughts, thanks fellas.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Does anyone know where I can buy shaft adaptors for this? I've looked online and can not seem to find any.

Does anyone know where I can buy shaft adaptors for this? I've looked online and can not seem to find any.

Any Mizuno dealer should be able to order them for you. I just ordered two for a customer last week.

Any Mizuno dealer should be able to order them for you. I just ordered two for a customer last week.

I'm in Thailand and sometimes it is not quite that easy to get the most up to date items. The 850 range is not even available here, nor is the Big Bertha 815 range yet.

Back