Best Course In Your Area?

The closest high quality course that is not absolutely private is Cuscowilla on Lake Oconee, I have played it about 6 times and it is a beast. http://www.cuscowilla.com/

Last edited:
The closest high quality course that is not private is Cuscowilla on Lake Oconee, I have played it about 6 times and I is a beast. http://www.cuscowilla.com/
I really, really want to play Cuscowilla. Was one of my golf goals this year but didn't make it happen. Will be on my list for 2015.

I'd agree...all though I hear boulder creek is legit

Boulder Creek is beautiful, long, challenging, and great conditions. Have not played the Quarry, however its sister course Shale Creek has to be right up there. Little Mountain and Grey Hawk would contend for top billing if they were better conditioned, both have terrific layouts.

Boulder Creek is beautiful, long, challenging, and great conditions. Have not played the Quarry, however its sister course Shale Creek has to be right up there. Little Mountain and Grey Hawk would contend for top billing if they were better conditioned, both have terrific layouts.
Yeah I've aged little mountain. ..wasn't blown away liked quarry more

I really, really want to play Cuscowilla. Was one of my golf goals this year but didn't make it happen. Will be on my list for 2015.

I like to say that each green has 3 elephants buried in it. Lots of challenges from tee to green and then lots of work left if you are out of position on the green. You will really like it Barry.

Buffalo ridge (branson creek ) is still the best non private course here

In the immediate area of Humble, TX I'd have to say Tour 18. And though it's been over 20 years since I've played them, the Kingwood courses and Deerwood are up there too.

I live a bit north of Denver and within 30 minutes of me Todd Creek GC (Arthur Hills) is the best by a nose over Riverdale Dunes GC (Pete Dye).
fullsize03.jpg

Within an hour away I'd have to go with The Ridge at Castle Pines, cause I haven't had the opportunity to play Bear Dance yet. :sad:

Bear Dance edged out Ridge at Castle Pines this year.

http://www.beardancegolf.com/
IMG_20141030_133022927.jpg

Sadly it's our Cannon AFB course Whispering Winds.

Yup, it's awesome living in Clovis NM...

2 courses in a 20 mile radius. Ugh

Which Troon course did we play (I think it was Pinnacle)? Whichever one it was, I loved the course layout. Definitely going to play that one, again.

We played Pinnacle.

I would say Peak n Peak upper course. I did host a Nationwide Tour event for a number of years.
cf8a3672913f090025db1dada7a9ae3c.jpg

I've got to go with my home course, although there are many awesome options and very few locals agree on which course is "the best".

Northview Golf and Country Club - Features 2 18 hole Palmer designs. Former home of the Air Canada Championship (PGA Event). Challenging, fun, well conditioned year round and in the summer the fastest greens I've ever played on. Also, when they ramp the Ridge Course into Tournament setup...holy cow you'd better bring 2 pencils.
2f67e058ef3f6de7eb6f5f796a7e3ceb.jpg

That looks like a great course and something I should put on my list.

Come play pinehurst number 2 with ron and I in march :)

Serious Ponder just started. Did I mention to you in Florida or something that is my favorite course ever? Haven't played it since the renovation.

Serious Ponder just started. Did I mention to you in Florida or something that is my favorite course ever? Haven't played it since the renovation.

My brothers and I talked about going there this year. We are also planning to play bethpage since they are NYers still they get it for cheap

Im in. I don't mind paying a little bit extra for a nice course.

Got a message from Trout Bum this morning. He wants in on this. Now we must make it happen. We can move the discussion to the Maryland thread so not to take this one off topic.

I know many have said Cowboys in our area, but my favorite is Split Rail. Links style course that will really challenge you. Always in great shape, even in the heat of the Texas summer.

I know many have said Cowboys in our area, but my favorite is Split Rail. Links style course that will really challenge you. Always in great shape, even in the heat of the Texas summer.

Never been there, let's change that soon!

I would bet you would like this place. If it hasn't gone private by now, we will hit it up this spring.
Never been there, let's change that soon!

That looks like a great course and something I should put on my list.
I absolutely love the layout of both tracks here. Round is on me if you're ever in town.

I live a bit north of Denver and within 30 minutes of me Todd Creek GC (Arthur Hills) is the best by a nose over Riverdale Dunes GC (Pete Dye).
fullsize03.jpg

Within an hour away I'd have to go with The Ridge at Castle Pines, cause I haven't had the opportunity to play Bear Dance yet. :sad:
We make it a point to play bear dance at least once or twice per year. You should definitely join us!

There's a course near where I work called Old Memorial. It's owned by the founder of Outback Steakhouse and is supposed to be a really good layout. Very traditional club, nothing there but a golf course and clubhouse. Caddies to take with you, and a good walkable course.

It's a local bucket list course for me, just to say I've played it.

There's a course near where I work called Old Memorial. It's owned by the founder of Outback Steakhouse and is supposed to be a really good layout. Very traditional club, nothing there but a golf course and clubhouse. Caddies to take with you, and a good walkable course.

It's a local bucket list course for me, just to say I've played it.

Not public.
Its an amazing golf course, but does not qualify for the thread. :D

Skimward has a nice ring to it

Back