"Golf is Struggling in America"

v.man

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
W.I.P.
Someone forwarded me an article from the Business Insider (UK) with the above title. It's not the first article on the subject to be sure. But, it was an interesting read, so I though I'd share the link and some highlights. You can find it here:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/golf-...u&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email_article

The U.S. is the largest golf market by far, and the gist of the article is that it is declining steadily here and in most markets around the world. In 2011, golf in the U.S. was a 70B market, still substantial, but, trending down. Last year, 160 courses closed and it is expected that this trend will continue for the next 10 years before supply and demand are in balance. Participation is also declining in Australia, Japan, England, Ireland and even Scotland. Australia's club membership is down more than 25% since 1998. Japan's participation is down by 40% since the early 90's. Participation is growing in the Czech Republic, Germany, and China (where building new golf courses is illegal), but, these are small markets. While professional golf is still healthy, retailers like Dick's and merchandisers like Nike and Adidas are feeling the pinch.

What is also interesting is why golf is declining. I'll quote just a couple of paragraphs; there are more if you choose to read the article:

"To some extent, golf’s appeal has become its undoing. Its calm, meditative quality does not suit the frenetic pace of modern life. Playing 18 holes, the game’s standard, takes four and a half hours or more, not counting commuting or lunch. Time-starved Americans rarely devote so many hours to anything—other than, perhaps, a transcontinental flight and sleep".

"Golf is a hard sport to master. In 1914 Woodrow Wilson spoke for many frustrated golfers when he described the game as “an ineffectual attempt to put an elusive ball into an obscure hole with implements ill-adapted to the purpose”. Robert O’Neill, the Navy Seal who shot Osama bin Laden, was urged by his psychologist to take up golf, but found it “more stressful than combat”. Nor can it be neglected for some time and picked up again with ease, like skiing or tennis. Its rule-book is some 200 pages long, too big to tote around in a golf bag. “Golf is my life, but I’m still learning new rules every time I play,” says Charles Grace, who works on Wall Street and has been a golfer for 13 years".

The article also cites the economy as a large contributor to golf's decline, as well as the "wobbles" of some it's stars, notably Tiger Woods. It holds the 2016 Olympics as the one bright star that could rekindle interest.

It is an interesting read whether you buy into it totally or not. If you have the time and inclination, I recommend it.

Someone forwarded me an article from the Business Insider (UK) with the above title. It's not the first article on the subject to be sure. But, it was an interesting read, so I though I'd share the link and some highlights. You can find it here:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/golf-...u&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email_article

The U.S. is the largest golf market by far, and the gist of the article is that it is declining steadily here and in most markets around the world. In 2011, golf in the U.S. was a 70B market, still substantial, but, trending down. Last year, 160 courses closed and it is expected that this trend will continue for the next 10 years before supply and demand are in balance. Participation is also declining in Australia, Japan, England, Ireland and even Scotland. Australia's club membership is down more than 25% since 1998. Japan's participation is down by 40% since the early 90's. Participation is growing in the Czech Republic, Germany, and China (where building new golf courses is illegal), but, these are small markets. While professional golf is still healthy, retailers like Dick's and merchandisers like Nike and Adidas are feeling the pinch.

What is also interesting is why golf is declining. I'll quote just a couple of paragraphs; there are more if you choose to read the article:

"To some extent, golf’s appeal has become its undoing. Its calm, meditative quality does not suit the frenetic pace of modern life. Playing 18 holes, the game’s standard, takes four and a half hours or more, not counting commuting or lunch. Time-starved Americans rarely devote so many hours to anything—other than, perhaps, a transcontinental flight and sleep".

"Golf is a hard sport to master. In 1914 Woodrow Wilson spoke for many frustrated golfers when he described the game as “an ineffectual attempt to put an elusive ball into an obscure hole with implements ill-adapted to the purpose”. Robert O’Neill, the Navy Seal who shot Osama bin Laden, was urged by his psychologist to take up golf, but found it “more stressful than combat”. Nor can it be neglected for some time and picked up again with ease, like skiing or tennis. Its rule-book is some 200 pages long, too big to tote around in a golf bag. “Golf is my life, but I’m still learning new rules every time I play,” says Charles Grace, who works on Wall Street and has been a golfer for 13 years".

The article also cites the economy as a large contributor to golf's decline, as well as the "wobbles" of some it's stars, notably Tiger Woods. It holds the 2016 Olympics as the one bright star that could rekindle interest.

It is an interesting read whether you buy into it totally or not. If you have the time and inclination, I recommend it.

These articles seem to be the same thing. Golf isn't what it was, too many courses are closing and companies like TMaG are struggling.

I wonder if the main cause of all this is that everyone thought the game was going to continue expanding at the pace it was longer than it did. A lot of the courses that have closed, either 9 holes or the entire course were associated with housing developments built in the late 90s/early 00s. In general, it's still pretty tricky to find a tee time during peak hours during the summer here

I don't really have an opinion one way or another. What I can say is that the reasons the author cites for golf's decline are the reasons I've decided to take it up again.

I need to slow down.
I need a new challenge.
I want to learn a new skill.
I could use those hours on the weekend by myself or with friends.
Top Golf is like Chuck E Cheese but for adults, so there's also that haha.

Did we find an article that at least didn't blame release cycles?

Did we find an article that at least didn't blame release cycles?

Sure seemed it. Like most things, it comes down to cost to play and time it takes to play. Lower the cost, more people want to play, but then the time to play increases.

I think the bigger thing that needs to be done is quit it with the doom and gloom reporting. It doesn't paint the correct picture, and it doesn't help with how to solve it. Release cycles sure as hell aren't the problem..

While I think it's true golf is declining, I think it's more of a correction than an unstoppable trend. Golf was overbuilt.

I do think the industry needs to evaluate itself. Club membership is declining because it often doesn't provide the value demanded today.

some extent, golf’s appeal has become its undoing. Its calm, meditative quality does not suit the frenetic pace of modern life. Playing 18 holes, the game’s standard, takes four and a half hours or more, not counting commuting or lunch. Time-starved Americans rarely devote so many hours to anything—other than, perhaps, a transcontinental flight and sleep".

This , a big factor . Two working households and family obligations are really hurting golf . The age groups of 30 to late 40's have really disappeared .. Other similar sport is Tennis which is a prime example , they also had a big boom and now most courts are a ghost town . Game grew to big and now scaling back to pre 1990 status . A great game to play and learn , but a bad one to invest in its developments. In my opinion of course

While I think it's true golf is declining, I think it's more of a correction than an unstoppable trend. Golf was overbuilt.

I do think the industry needs to evaluate itself. Club membership is declining because it often doesn't provide the value demanded today.

Good point. Perhaps the author is making a false equivocation here. Water finding its level isn't always necessarily a decline.

If the argument is the lack of available time for American's, I see a direct correlation with our growing income gap. There are more dual income families and individuals working two or three jobs within the middle class than years past. Hmmmm.

Definitely not the right place for me to stand on my soap box, so ignore me :)

Time and money - to play golf, you need both. Not a lot of both, but both nonetheless.
It takes time away from other activities to play golf.
There are more fathers interested in their children's upbringing and being an important daily participant in the raising of kids. Which bleeds into golf time.
Correction, overgrowth, Tiger phenomenon, it all plays a part, but time constraints will have to be addressed for golf to hit another "growth" market.

I'd really like to see a lot more 9 hole, or even 6 hole, offerings. I think it'd be one of the better ways to attract and/or keep players in the game.

I'd really like to see a lot more 9 hole, or even 6 hole, offerings. I think it'd be one of the better ways to attract and/or keep players in the game.

Agree .. And helps with maintenance / and overall costs . When I was in Vegas , they had a practice facility that had 3 lighted holes . Now that would help too , can play any hour of the day

I just seen this article on Twitter and was going to post it here.

One of the big things that stands out in that article to me is that 45% of golfers make more than $100,000 a year. With so many people employed in low wage jobs, it's hard to see how that percentage will ever go down.

The time commitment it takes is another huge thing. As a father of two young boys I often struggle to justify being gone for four+ hours, when you add in commute time and b.s. time, on the weekends when I've already missed so much by working all week.

I don't have any thing to help solve the problem but I sure hope someone does.

For those of you arguing time - what happened in the past decade that we no longer have this time? Honest question, because the 18 hole game of golf hasn't changed much. It took me 4-4.5 hours to play 18 holes on a public course 10-20 years ago as it does today.

For those of you arguing time - what happened in the past decade that we no longer have this time? Honest question, because the 18 hole game of golf hasn't changed much. It took me 4-4.5 hours to play 18 holes on a public course 10-20 years ago as it does today.
While I tend to agree with you that time is not the biggest problem, one issue is the connected world and that the standard amount of time has changed

We all know that the time it takes to play a round does not really fit in with a lot of family schedules. It's no surprise that when I look at the demographics of my Men's Club there are a bunch of golfers in the 50 & over category, a much smaller group in their 20's/early 30's and lagging behind are the number of 35-50 year olds who have kids, jobs & mortgages to support. We are also more than ever a society which wants it here and now with no waiting. One of the things I love most about the game is that time on the course when I can get away from the everyday, clear my mind and be in a natural setting doing what I love. I have ALWAYS taken time for golf because that is my place of zen, but I know most are not so lucky.

"Golf is a hard sport to master. Nor can it be neglected for some time and picked up again with ease, like skiing or tennis".
My kids were born and raised with golf and this is the reason that they don't play. They never got the bug because they wanted to just go to the range or course and hit it like I did, but found out that it took a LOT of work. It's much easier to go play video games or whatever. I'm hoping they come back to it when they get older. Golf has never been a easy sport - GOLF IS HARD!!! - And I like it that way!

The article also cites the economy as a large contributor to golf's decline
Let's face it - the cost of golf is THE major factor affecting the so-called decline of golf. I agree that it's more of a correction than decline. The economy of the past 8 or so years has affected many industries related to disposable income, not just golf. Just like the dotcoms in the 90's, golf's bubble had to burst sometime. When families are fighting to just pay their bills, golf goes by the wayside. Some cite Top Golf as a way to get more people involved in the sport. From all reports that may be true, and especially with the younger crowd. But Top Golf can cost as much or more than 18 holes on a real golf course, which brings us back to the whole disposable income allocation issue.

as well as the "wobbles" of some it's stars, notably Tiger Woods. It holds the 2016 Olympics as the one bright star that could rekindle interest.
When I was growing up playing golf, tennis was the cool sport (and we all know where that is these days). But then came Tiger Woods and all of a sudden golf WAS cool and people were compelled to watch and play. Anyone who didn't play the game BT (Before Tiger) have no idea how much he changed EVERYTHING. The meteoric rise of golf and the Tiger Era had to slow down at some point in time. Nobody predicted they would both come to a screeching halt in concert due to the economy and infidelity. I believe it'll be a long time before someone as compelling as Tiger comes along to give the sport another bump in popularity. Personally, I think the Olympics is a joke (it COULD be compelling if it were to be played by amateurs, JMHO) and it will no doubt provide a small injection of enthusiasm (can you say World Cup?!) but in the long run nothing substantial. Golf is what it is and one thing it has never been is a sport for the masses.

Family / family / family and increased work hours . No longer 2 or 3 days off a week , now working 6 days with a young one at home. Only time is early on weekdays every other week . And when I play , I played 9 holes in under 45 mins by myself in a cart . And under 1 hr and half if I forced 18 .. All as a single , all about speed golf and no time to relax . So yes , things have changed for me and than some

Family / family / family and increased work hours . No longer 2 or 3 days off a week , now working 6 days with a young one at home. Only time is early on weekdays every other week . And when I play , I played 9 holes in under 45 mins by myself in a cart . And under 1 hr and half if I forced 18 .. All as a single , all about speed golf and no time to relax . So yes , things have changed for me and than some
To be honest that is not a time thing as much as it is a money thing. Having to work more hours to make the same money is less about time and more about economy.

What I have heard from so many is , It cost too much to play golf. They talk about the price of clubs thinking they have to have high priced big name brands , pay memberships and do the whole deal in order to be accepted by the average group on a course. I think there is a bit of that type of image but the economy has to be the major reason for all the downfall IMO.

It's not the time on the course that is the issue. It's the total time demand. Longer hours at work, more family obligations etc. Think about all the travel sports for the kids. I know I didn't do that stuff when I was a kid. Not sure it actually existed but it sure as heck wasn't an option for me. Both of my kids played a LOT of sports. Of course one of those sports was golf! Make the plan - work the plan!!

To be honest that is not a time thing as much as it is a money thing. Having to work more hours to make the same money is less about time and more about economy.
Bingo, and an arguement I touched on earlier but not something that needs to be vented out in this forum.

Time hasn't changed, but the current economic struggle has shifted our priorities.

Bingo, and an arguement I touched on earlier but not something that needs to be vented out in this forum.

Time hasn't changed, but the current economic struggle has shifted our priorities.

No way...Havent you heard how great "change" has been? :D
And that of course is what the debate room is for...You are right.

Over stimulation from computer games, console games and such doesn't help the cause. Add in the fact that it's not a team sport and is limited in the social aspect for kids it becomes difficult to lure kids in. Once kids are old enough to handle being on the course and all that. They don't really want to spend that time with parents or adults.

To be fair, some people "struggling under the burden of the harsh economic times" are working 60 hours a week with two incomes to pay for their too big house, their too new cars, their jet ski's and to put their kids in private school. It sound like I'm talking about the ultra-rich, but I'm not. You see people nowadays who based upon their professions you would never believe they can live the lifestyle they do. I'm not sure how they do it or whether they're living in a house of cards.

The point is, times are not dramatically harder than they were 20 years ago, and golf is not dramatically less affordable. A blue-collar worker or an entry-level white-collar worker didn't earn dramatically more 20 years ago than they do today.

I will agree that nowadays we divert more of our income to kids' activities. Kids don't just play anymore - they have to be in expensive activities. And I certainly agree with the stance that with many of us being "modern" fathers or mothers, we spend more of our time on our kids and have less time to play golf.

Back