Bridgestone J15 Cast Irons Preview Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a press release

Bridgestone Golf, the #1 ball-fitter in golf and a recognized industry innovator, will reveal its new J15 Cast Irons at the 2015 PGA Merchandise Show. The J15 Cast irons rely on a combination of 3 innovative technologies to maximize distance and accuracy for players needing more forgiveness in their irons.

“Bridgestone is largely recognized as a niche, forged iron brand for serious golfers, but with the introduction of the J15 Cast irons we’re widening our target player scope, offering that same unparalleled feel we’ve become known for with an added dose of forgiveness”, said Josh Kinchen, Golf Clubs and Accessories Marketing Manager, Bridgestone Golf, Inc. “Through extensive testing, we’ve found that the same Flex Action Speed Technology that is used in our new driver and fairway woods also lends itself quite well to a game enhancement iron. We are eager to get these clubs in mid to high handicappers’ hands so that they can experience the tremendous benefits the combination of F.A.S.T. technology and our new Sure Contact Sole can provide.”

The increased distance and forgiveness that the J15 Cast offers is achieved through 3 key technologies:

F.A.S.T Clubhead
The Flex Action Speed Technology (F.A.S.T.) construction features a 360° undercut, full face channel to maximize the repulsion area and increase M.O.I. for high speed straight distance regardless of where impact is made.

Wide, Round Sure Contact Sole
Designed to provide maximum forgiveness and minimal turf resistance on off-center sweeping strikes, with the C.O.G. located low and deep on the sole to encourage high launching distance.

Oversize Stainless Steel Clubhead
Larger clubhead with thicker topline and increased offset inspires confidence at address, while maintaining the clean, classic appearance Bridgestone has become revered for.

The J15 Cast Irons come standard with the Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH shafts and custom yellow Golf Pride® Tour Velvet™ grips and will be available in 4-AW. The standard J15 Cast 5-AW set will feature a street price of $699 and will be available in Right Hand only at retail on April 1, 2015.

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-14%20at%205.47.26%20AM-L.png

Man it's a good day for new club info and these look sweet. I really like the looks of the new Bridgestone line up and the F.A.S.T. Technology sounds pretty cool.

Wow! Nice to see Bridgestone venture more into the game improvement offerings this year. That's a pretty nice looking club and honestly may be best suited to me of all the new irons they are releasing. Can't wait to hear some feedback on this one from the BSTONE university experience!

I like the looks of these - happy to see the AW is included in the set. Will be interesting to see these in person/video to compare them to the forged line.

Glad to see Bridgestone has made some GI irons but I'm still in love with the new CBs they come out with. Glad to see they are expanding to all levels of the game

Yep, I gotta try these. Few thoughts:

FANTASTIC price at $699.
Approach Wedge??? YES!!!! Finally!
No experience with those shafts, interested to hear thoughts in departure from PX as stock.

As much as I would like to, I can't get excited about these as I have never yet seen any Bridgestone clubs anywhere near me over here

Nice looking irons and good to hear they are trying to expand their market share for their irons.

Great looking iron with the new technology built in. I like the line and at that price it will attract a lot of players who thought they were not good enough to play Bridgestone. Can't wait to try these.

I know the sexy thing to do is go with the forged offerings but I think these are going to surprise alot of people. That FAST technology is really quite remarkable.

Two thoughts. First is the look. I love it. Reminds me of the AP2 yet still has its own look. And second would be the price. $699 is a great starting price for a set like this. Really impressed with this offering

The description doesn't fit the look of the iron. These look good!

Wow, these look really nice. Great price point for the goods offered. Love to see GI irons offered,feel these could be big for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good looking iron!
Nice price point!

Would love to hit these and see what this F.A.S.T tech is all about!

FANTASTIC price at $699.
No experience with those shafts, interested to hear thoughts in departure from PX as stock.

If you like a lightweight shaft, the NS950 is about as good as they come (in my opinion). Really, really, smooth feeling steel shaft. Not graphite smooth, of course. But nice. Launches high.

A few things to add here:

Along with the FAST technology these feature an undercut pocket that acts like a cavity. You can see some pics here of a cutaway head:

DSC_9657_zpsd57715f4.jpg

DSC_9658_zpscbad0f53.jpg

DSC_9659_zpsb324ca4f.jpg

With the sure contact sole, it allowed them to provide a little rounder shape which really helps square the head at address.

These feature a thicker topline with a slight offset.

Here are some robot testing results that should raise a few eyebrows around here:

6 iron from the J15's provided 1.5 m/s faster initial ball velocity and was 7.4 yards longer than the J40 DPC's.

One question that I asked was, Why now? Why now enter the cast market? The answer I received from Josh Kinchen was the following: " We feel there is global demand for a GI iron in the US and with Tour stage going away and Bridgestone becoming the Global brand, it just makes sense. In addition, with the extra resources that the global brand has, it allows us to start to focus on the clubs now just as we had been focused on growing our ball market in the past. We are very comfortable with our market position with our balls so it's time we start to do the same with our clubs."

FANTASTIC price at $699.
I had a lot of the same exact thoughts Cookie. I have had the Nippon 950 shaft in other irons and loved them, but not sure what the GH signifies or how it is different.

The description doesn't fit the look of the iron. These look good!
I agree Freddie, as I was reading the description I was expecting to see a big clunker style of iron, these are really sharp looking. Leave it to Bridgestone to come up with a GI iron but maintain the classic Bridgestone look.

A few things to add here:

Along with the FAST technology these feature an undercut pocket that acts like a cavity. You can see some pics here of a cutaway head:

DSC_9657_zpsd57715f4.jpg

DSC_9658_zpscbad0f53.jpg

DSC_9659_zpsb324ca4f.jpg

With the sure contact sole, it allowed them to provide a little rounder shape which really helps square the head at address.

These feature a thicker topline with a slight offset.

Here are some robot testing results that should raise a few eyebrows around here:

6 iron from the J15's provided 1.5 m/s faster initial ball velocity and was 7.4 yards longer than the J40 DPC's.

One question that I asked was, Why now? Why now enter the cast market? The answer I received from Josh Kinchen was the following: " We feel there is global demand for a GI iron in the US and with Tour stage going away and Bridgestone becoming the Global brand, it just makes sense. In addition, with the extra resources that the global brand has, it allows us to start to focus on the clubs now just as we had been focused on growing our ball market in the past. We are very comfortable with our market position with our balls so it's time we start to do the same with our clubs."

Really good stuff Dev.

Good looking irons and they seem to have what many are looking for with good price point, set wedges and good looking irons. Could be a good year for Bridgestone

I had a lot of the same exact thoughts Cookie. I have had the Nippon 950 shaft in other irons and loved them, but not sure what the GH signifies or how it is different.

The 950 GH is the shaft you'll usually find in clubs - so that's probably what yours are. The VRS Forged came with the 950 GH HTs, which launched a bit higher and spun a bit less, I think. Descriptions of the shafts are here: http://www.nipponshaft.co.jp/english/steel/950.htm

If you like a lightweight shaft, the NS950 is about as good as they come (in my opinion). Really, really, smooth feeling steel shaft. Not graphite smooth, of course. But nice. Launches high.

Thanks, good to know. I've been fit into the PXi's (and played in some sets) on a few occasions so guessing these are likely a similar weight.

Good stuff Dev - 7 yards longer in a head to head robot testing is solid.

Do we know that lofts are same between J40 DPC & the J15 cast?

The 950 GH is the shaft you'll usually find in clubs - so that's probably what yours are. The VRS Forged came with the 950 GH HTs, which launched a bit higher and spun a bit less, I think. Descriptions of the shafts are here: http://www.nipponshaft.co.jp/english/steel/950.htm
Thanks, yeah that was probably it, I just didn't remember the GH on the end, but it has been over two years since I played them, so the memory fades. But you are correct it was a great feeling lightweight shaft. If I had not gone to graphite in my current irons, I would have definitely considered them again.

I imagine they will feel very nice in this iron as well. I'm envious of the Bridgestone U guys even more so now :)

I dont have the loft info for the J15's but I can check and see if I can get it.

I dont have the loft info for the J15's but I can check and see if I can get it.

Purely guessing as I haven't been able to find it, but since they strengthened up the lofts on the DPF a bit, I would guess the cast line is a bit stronger as well.

Back