The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Half an hour in the garage hitting foam balls with a 9i half swing. Just tried to make sure that I was shifting my weight and having the low point of the swing be in front of the ball. Hoping to hit the sim for an hour tomorrow for more work plus more e6 testing.

Got to the range this morning for the first time in a little over 6 weeks. Felt nice to swing the clubs, but main goal was to see how the foot felt. Was able to take about 50-60 swings before I felt a little soreness. Ball striking wise, was pleasantly surprised with what I saw. Overall it was great to get back out there and nice to post in this thread again!

Last edited:
Putting stroke on this rainy day.

Ball position got a little wonky, got the full length mirror back in front of me on the Tour Links and went to work.

5065ac9367753cc3c9c3491371a13150.jpg

Too cold to play or practice today, so I had to be satisfied with swinging this. It's a weighted 7 iron (Medicus also makes one). I'm not sure it helps all that much, but, it's supposed to help with tempo and muscle memory. It works out the swing muscles at least. Later, I'll roll out my putting mat and work on the stroke a bit. It's better than just sitting here watching golf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Callaway had a demo day locally. Hit the new XR , it's quite nice!! But the BB815 put up better numbers, Callaway guy even suggested the DBD to reduce spin even more. First time I have hit w/ a Trackman, that is one cool piece of equipment!!

Great evening to practice down here. 70 degrees with a cool breeze. Guess everyone else had the same idea as a lot of people were out there tonight. Hit them all well and stoked as playing tomorrow and have not played since early December.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 0
I got on the birdie ball for about 45 minutes tonight. Putting held me back more than anything last year so I am really going to try and improve on it

Been working on setup and slow half swing drills in the living room. We've been adjusting my grip and setup in lessons to get me square, so I'm trying to get the feeling ingrained. Definitely feeling like I'm squaring up the face more naturally, but it still feels weird.

The last couple of days I have been working on my position at the top with irons. Last weekend, I noticed I was abbreviating my backswing with my irons and getting a little choppy, so I've been focusing on a fuller turn, like I have with my woods. I like how it feels and it gives me a tad more time on the downswing, or at least it feels that way. I'll hit up the sims this week to work in it some more.

Range session before the round was a preview of what my day will look like. Hitting everything good on the range lately, did not follow me to the course today. Chipping and ball striking was inconsistent, partly due to conditions and my delivery

Gorgeous day out and with everyone watching the Phoenix Open and the Super Bowl the range wasnt too busy. At Bridgestone U. I was struggling again with smothering my woods and getting the hands too far in front of the ball before impact causing fat shots so focused on a nice downswing and getting my hands into the slot and letting the club carry through impact.

Worked an hour yesterday on my anti-OTT drills. It's getting better more quickly than I thought, but still going to take lots more work.

Worked an hour yesterday on my anti-OTT drills. It's getting better more quickly than I thought, but still going to take lots more work.

If you don't mind my asking, what OTT drills are you working on?

If you don't mind my asking, what OTT drills are you working on?

Nothing complex. Stick a noodle on an alignment rod in the ground and position it at an angle so it hits about halfway up the shaft of your club. Then take one big sidestep forward to give yourself some room. Swing under the noodle going back, and under the noodle on the downswing. If you go OTT, you'll hit the noodle. Really helps you get the feel of what it actually takes to come from the inside. It's amazing how quickly you revert to OTT when you take the noodle away, so I'm doing lots of work with it to try to ingrain the feel.

Was in Orlando over the weekend visiting disneyworld with my family. Managed to sneak in a range session, and I'm still trying to hit each shot with a specific shape. The fade swing feels great and I feel like I can really trust it. The draw swing is tough for me. I think on the course the draw swing will be a please don't go far right swing. Golf in 70 degree weather is just as nice as I remembered it, maybe better. Now I'm back in jersey and my lawn is frozen. Booooo.

Gorgeous day out and with everyone watching the Phoenix Open and the Super Bowl the range wasnt too busy. At Bridgestone U. I was struggling again with smothering my woods and getting the hands too far in front of the ball before impact causing fat shots so focused on a nice downswing and getting my hands into the slot and letting the club carry through impact.
Sounds good - hope I don't see a smother this weekend!!

Nice long range session...hit my irons well, but I'm seriously cutting across the ball with my hybrids and woods. Need to get more passive with my upper body and quit trying to murder the ball.

I've been struggling lately with an inside-out downswing and getting "stuck". The club is way below the plane and the ball flight is either over drawn or blocked to the right. I've been here before so I went back to this drill last Sunday with alignment sticks. It feels over the top but it will help me get back on plane and straighten the ball flight. Look forward to doing this drill again tomorrow night.

df97003c7a16c2d400676ff6e2f8e231.jpg

Worked today solely on my short game. My last round I left many shots on the course in the 150 yard range, putts included. Spent a good 2 hours on the range and 1 hour putting. I was seeing good results after completion

Lesson - 30 yd chip shots.
Good results with three thoughts.
1) Weight on left foot
2) Open the club face at address
3) Keep the club face closed during the backswing.

I posted this here so I could remember the three thoughts when I practice later this week/month.

Interesting on the closed on the backswing part, yet having the face open at address. Is the thought to keep from opening it more?

Interesting on the closed on the backswing part, yet having the face open at address. Is the thought to keep from opening it more?
Yeah, I seem to open my clubface during my backswing with short chip shots. Then I close it on the follow thru, tend to dig and hit fat shots.
With the new drill the club face feels closed to me, actually is in line with my spine angle. I then don't release my wrists which leads to better contact and fewer fat shots.

Yeah, I seem to open my clubface during my backswing with short chip shots. Then I close it on the follow thru, tend to dig and hit fat shots.
With the new drill the club face feels closed to me, actually is in line with my spine angle. I then don't release my wrists which leads to better contact and fewer fat shots.

Makes sense. First glance I kept wondering why your instructor wanted you leading edge chipping. Keep your speed accelerating through the shot on top of what he says, you'll be just fine.

Last night I continued my work on feet, hips, and shoulder alignment to the target. I learned that the more reverse "K" I create at address the more I draw(hook) the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back