To reshaft or buy new...

golf4life

Grip n rip
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey all, I could use some advice from those of you who have some experience with cutomized shafts and the cost of that process, versus just buying new sticks.

To summarize my situation, I have a set of TM R7 irons that I really do like, treat me reasonably well and I am comfortable with. This past year I took a 15 lesson package from Golftech, and as a result, among many improvements, my swingspeed has increased to the point where I now really need a stiffer shaft in my irons for better control (currently have stiff flex, need something more in a tour flex).

In your experience, is it worth putting shafts like a Project X or KBS Tour into 3 year old irons like R7, or should I just bite the bullet and get something new with the upgraded shafts (maybe R9s or any of the latest greatest options). I haven't had a chance to demo the new stuff yet, but I imagine there are improvements to be had. Along similar lines, I have the original TM Rescue Mid hybrids (2 and 4) that will need the same shaft treatment.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks!

I believe in getting fit for every single club in the bag. It really comes down to cost. Sure you could buy new irons, get fit for them and put shafts in those as well. But that is a step up from stock normally as well. Or you can take the heads that you have that are working for you and get fit for shafts that match them and your swing.

I think it all depends on how well you hit them, vs how well you hit the new technology.

New shafts are a fraction of the cost of new irons. probably around 10 bucks a shaft for true temper s300 shafts.

I believe in getting fit for every single club in the bag. It really comes down to cost. Sure you could buy new irons, get fit for them and put shafts in those as well. But that is a step up from stock normally as well. Or you can take the heads that you have that are working for you and get fit for shafts that match them and your swing.

Thanks, and knowing what I now know, I agree with you 100%. I should have also stated that part of the 15 lesson package was a club fitting session. What came out of that was the X-flex shaft recommendation (for Project X, a 6.5 for example). Based on your experience, are the improvements in the irons you are using/testing worth the extra money to buy new?

So I think I'm ready to take that next step... So is it worth the bucks for the new technology in the irons and hybrids?

I think it all depends on how well you hit them, vs how well you hit the new technology.

New shafts are a fraction of the cost of new irons. probably around 10 bucks a shaft for true temper s300 shafts.

That cheap huh? I was almost hoping you'd say something much more expensive so I could justify testing/buying new sticks to my wife :D

If you've been fit for a stiffer flex and you're otherwise happy with the R7s, I'd go ahead and re-shaft a couple of the R7s and see if you like the result. If you like the result, do the whole set. If not, start shopping.

Thanks, and knowing what I now know, I agree with you 100%. I should have also stated that part of the 15 lesson package was a club fitting session. What came out of that was the X-flex shaft recommendation (for Project X, a 6.5 for example). Based on your experience, are the improvements in the irons you are using/testing worth the extra money to buy new?

So I think I'm ready to take that next step... So is it worth the bucks for the new technology in the irons and hybrids?

Im not the best judge, because I did not care for the R7s, But many loved them and still love them.

I say buy new clubs. Not that I know anything, but buying stuff is the best.

That cheap huh? I was almost hoping you'd say something much more expensive so I could justify testing/buying new sticks to my wife :D

That's what Golf galaxy is suggesting, however the project x shafts look like they are 30 bucks or more per. Then again, if you're ordering them custom, they may be a diffrent price.

I say buy new clubs. Not that I know anything, but buying stuff is the best.

+1 For new clubs! Because I'm OEM and that's what I'd do. Lol

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk

New clubs always make the day brighter, and your mood 10000 better!

New clubs always make the day brighter, and your mood 10000 better!

Haha. I've heard of women loving to shop, but I bet the glow on a man's face when he gets a new golf club is right up there on the happy scale! I know it makes me excited!

I think, if you're looking at 30-40 a club for reshafting with project X that its definitely worth demoing the new stuff at least..... or that's going to be the crux of my argument with the wife at this point.

I think, if you're looking at 30-40 a club for reshafting with project X that its definitely worth demoing the new stuff at least..... or that's going to be the crux of my argument with the wife at this point.

sounds like a good plan to me!!!

I have just done the same as yourself. I had reg shafts in the TM RAC clubs. Managed to get hold of some X100 stiff with sensicore for NZ$60 and my club refit them for NZ$10/club. So to Purchase and reshaft cost me NZ$140 (US$100).

Have played a couple of rounds with the new shafts and they are so much better and straighter then the REG's. No more whip and you can feel the club more.

I say reshaft your R7's, you wont regret it.

Cheers

screw it go for the new clubs!

You cant beat new sticks in my book

New is always great as long as they feel/work better than what's currently in the bag.

As a person who is admittedly addicted to buying new golf stuff my immediate reaction is to tell you to buy new clubs.

Like a couple of people on here have said, new clubs make you feel good and make you want to get out on the range everyday.

But...

It sounds like you really like the R7 irons you have and feel really comfortable with them. I can tell you as someone who just got fitted this year for the first time, it will take a while to get used to the new clubs. If your in the middle of your season or league I would say stick with what your comfortable with, save a couple of bucks and make the switch in the off season.

Good luck!

reshafted you might lose your love of the r7's.
kinda like a shoe resole; you're not always pleased with the outcome.
go to a demo day and see what's out there.
if something lights your fire consider getting some new sticks fitted for you.

Last edited:
It just depends on how much you like your r7's. I recently reshafted my irons w/Nippon 1050's. I demo'ed the new sticks from Taylor, BP's, Mizuno, Titleist, Ping. But couldn't find anything better for me than my 7 year old set of Hogan Edge Pro's. I wanted to like the new sets so I could get the latest and the greatest but nothing could take my Hogans out of my bag so I decided to reshaft and couldn't be happier. If you are love your r7's, reshaft it. If you go the new set route, hold on to your r7's for a bit, just in case.

mullie

Good advice people, thank you.

I think I'll take the opportunity to try the new sticks, and even if I cave in to buying new stuff, I will not be trading in the R7s anytime soon.

Irons I'm thinking about trying:
R9, Burner, Edge, CG7, Adams A7, Machspeed.... any others you think I should seriously consider?
About a 10-12 handicap currently, hoping for single digits, driver swingspeed around 120. Any thoughs?

Again, thanks for all the replies and thoughts... you're my kinda people.

Sure

X-24
J38 Cavity
MX-1000
Wilson Staff Ci-9

Back