Votes: 128 42.1%
  • On Course Pace

Votes: 163 53.6%
  • Deliberate

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • Slow

Votes: 2 0.7%

• Total voters
See MS, here is one issue. The pace is 4:15. So the slowest group should be 4:15 frankly. Someone at 9:30 am taking an extra 15 minutes on the course means the guys that play at noon are about 30 minutes behind and those playing at 2pm are about 45 minutes behind.

So by "pace" you don't mean "average"? I was assuming that was what it meant I guess.

If a fast player however is behind a group that has 3 holes open in front of them and is waiting on every hole they will get mad. I've played Celebration a bunch of times and had the marshal tell us they are playing at just about pace so he can't do anything to speed them up even though the groups ahead of them were all no where in sight. I'm sick and tired of the nonsense 4:30 pace of play. I could understand if it takes a long time to get from one hole to another but when it's just because they don't want to offend anyone then it's getting annoying.

I mean honest question though if the pace of play at the course is listed at 4:30 what do you go in expecting it to take? I do see your point and agree in the situation you listed above the group should be aware and let the faster player play through.

Not here to argue.
I agree some players abuse and play slow.
But I think fast players think everyone should play faster.
The perfect mix will never happen.

Pace of play be damned! Only players that can play with the cheetahs should play.

No bad players
No elderly players
No players who are out there to relax and enjoy

Truth of the matter is we all need to speed up!

I have my points, others have theirs. We probably should agree to disagree.

I'm out.

I also think an improvement in this area could be achieved if people played the proper set of tees as well, Ive seen many a THPER playing well beyond where they should be.

I also think an improvement in this area could be achieved if people played the proper set of tees as well, Ive seen many a THPER playing well beyond where they should be.

I had no say in us playing the tips at Legacy last spring, you know that...

While all of that is true, we are playing places that are giving 10 minute windows. That is plenty of time. But I'll be honest. Go to a THP Event and watch from the sidelines. Its clear as day, what is going on and its nothing to do with the course using THP as a scape goat. Slow play exists. Nobody wants to admit it and when they do, they think "well, that guy is just fast, because while I am deliberate, there is no way I am slow, so screw him".

People need to be more aware of their surroudings. Period. THey need to understand that paying their greens fee, does not give them cart blanche to keep everybody behind them from completing on time based on course pace of play. ANd lastly, they need to just give an eff, about other golfers.

Every week out on the course, you hear people snicker about a guy playing the wrong tees. Yet never snicker about the guy that walks around the putt 3 freaking times and never sniffs the hole only to do it three more times on way to his/hers 40th putt per round average. WHich one do you think slows the rounds down more? Playing wrong tees or the guy on the green? Give you a hint, its not the guy playing the wrong tee. :D

See my post above. I too think tees play a role, but nothing like the time it takes on the green.

People are leaving because of pace. What used to take people 4 hours on a weekend is now taking 5+ in many instances. Why? Because many are not aware of their surroundings or dont care of their surroundings. Every single survey has slow play as one of the biggest issues in why people have walked away.

I'm just thinking out loud whether pace of play and length of round are mutually inclusive. when I think pace of play issues, I think about people taking too long over putts, taking too many practice swings, spending too much time looking for lost balls, etc. my wife's #1 complaint about golf is that it takes too long. a 4-hour round + travel time + warmup time is too much time away for her tastes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not here to argue.
I agree some players abuse and play slow.
But I think fast players think everyone should play faster.
The perfect mix will never happen.

Pace of play be damned! Only players that can play with the cheetahs should play.

No bad players
No elderly players
No players who are out there to relax and enjoy

Truth of the matter is we all need to speed up!

I have my points, others have theirs. We probably should agree to disagree.

I'm out.
What does the bolded mean?

What does the bolded mean?

That someone does not like to be told to speed up (which is not being done here) therefore they are leaving the thread because unless you can play as fast as a cheetah, its not fast enough...WHich has never been said.

Im so confused. If the problem that exists is SLOW PLAY. And everybody can agree that SLOW PLAY IS A PROBLEM. How can it be the fast player's fault. All any player is really asking for is a 4 hour round. If the course deems that not applicable, a 4.5 hour round is what they set. Why people are getting upset because they feel attacked (which nobody is doing) is beyond me.

But anybody that thinks slow play is not an issue in the game of golf today is not looking at the game as we know it.

Hehehehe. Temps are rising!

Really though - four hours is a lot of time to get through a round of golf. You don't even have to act all hot and bothered.

Driving through a golf neighborhood I stopped to watch a guy playing as a single on a nice looking par 3. He must have stood over the ball for 30 seconds on his tee shot.

Holy hell. Headache after reading this.

So what's considered slow? Seems that most sources now have like a 4:15 or 4:20 pace and that sounds like it's too long here.

And I'll also admit that the sarcasm in here is pretty deep. If I was a THP'er attending my first event ever I would be a bit worried about this and how I'm perceived and likely rush my way through everything.

And one other thing: you can be deliberate on the greens without slowing pace of play. It called being aware and getting your ready and ready to line up and go while others are putting. It is possible if you have sense as to where you are and what you're doing.

I'm going to slow play JB in a couple of weeks. I'll make sure to Vine his reactions.

I will say that pace of play and length of round I think often get mixed up when people talk about their rounds, and I myself have been guilty of this.

Example of this was last year I played a round where it felt like we were waiting 5 minutes on every shot. The group in front was keeping up with the group in front of them, but at the same time we were having to wait on every single shot. After being a little frustrated by the "slow play" throughout the round, I looked at the time at the end of the round and we played 18 in 3 hours 52 minutes. Which in my opinion for 18 holes is not very slow. But because we were having to wait so much, it seemed to be a lot slower than it really was.

I would say I am somewhere between fast and on course pace. I guess it all depends on the day, the number of people in the group and if the course is crowded.

You might get left in CA with Chad
I'm going to slow play JB in a couple of weeks. I'll make sure to Vine his reactions.

I often wonder why seniors do not get to play the senior tees?

I will say that pace of play and length of round I think often get mixed up when people talk about their rounds, and I myself have been guilty of this.

Example of this was last year I played a round where it felt like we were waiting 5 minutes on every shot. The group in front was keeping up with the group in front of them, but at the same time we were having to wait on every single shot. After being a little frustrated by the "slow play" throughout the round, I looked at the time at the end of the round and we played 18 in 3 hours 52 minutes. Which in my opinion for 18 holes is not very slow. But because we were having to wait so much, it seemed to be a lot slower than it really was.

This is a great post and I think many do that. This is the issue I argue for. I dont think anyone can defend a round that goes over the stated pace of play at the course. But being upset if the round is at or under the stated pace of play is also in the wrong. But again that is just my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own

This is a great post and I think many do that. This is the issue I argue for. I dont think anyone can defend a round that goes over the stated pace of play at the course. But being upset if the round is at or under the stated pace of play is also in the wrong. But again that is just my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own

I've had those rounds. Feels like you are waiting every hole, yet still moving along. At the end of the day if I see that round was sub4, I'm more than ok with that.

The awesome starter at Elgin made sure to point out that 4:20 was the absolute longest it should take to play there. I loved that guy. He got everybody on top of it, we finished on pace (most of us faster), and nobody got all rushed or out of sorts from the crazy pace. Even ATLGolfer did it.

Nobody should be upset ever if the pace was the pace that is stated. Ironically that is not really what is being done in this thread, it just seems to be assumed by a few people. If a course sets the pace at 4:15...And someone comes in at 4:15 then there should be no issue. If someone comes in at 4:30, that person played too slow.

The awesome starter at Elgin made sure to point out that 4:20 was the absolute longest it should take to play there. I loved that guy. He got everybody on top of it, we finished on pace, and nobody got all rushed or out of sorts from the crazy pace. Even ATLGolfer did it.

we shall call that man, the miracle worker.

That someone does not like to be told to speed up (which is not being done here) therefore they are leaving the thread because unless you can play as fast as a cheetah, its not fast enough...WHich has never been said.

Im so confused. If the problem that exists is SLOW PLAY. And everybody can agree that SLOW PLAY IS A PROBLEM. How can it be the fast player's fault. All any player is really asking for is a 4 hour round. If the course deems that not applicable, a 4.5 hour round is what they set. Why people are getting upset because they feel attacked (which nobody is doing) is beyond me.

But anybody that thinks slow play is not an issue in the game of golf today is not looking at the game as we know it.
Why will courses not enforce pace of play then? I think it's because they are scared of pissing a paying customer off.
I said it before I will say it again, get marshals that will enforce pace of play, or as Freddie said watch the GPS and send someone out.
The courses need to do it.

Back