Cobra Fly-Z Driver Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice job Hawk. I still love the MY-Fly adapter. I think it works really great and is easy. Club looks great. With that said, technology is really cool,but like most new releases by all companies this year, low spin so it's no bueno for me.

• Admin
Nice job Hawk. I still love the MY-Fly adapter. I think it works really great and is easy. Club looks great. With that said, technology is really cool,but like most new releases by all companies this year, low spin so it's no bueno for me.

Dev,
Did I miss that part? Based on what Hawk said, this one is not really low spin at all.

Though spin rates will vary based on the person swinging the golf club, compared to some other drivers it certainly didn’t seem to present itself as a ‘low-spin’ driver.

It said that it was designed as a low spin, mid-high launch. While I know shafts can make a difference and improve spin some, I am so far on the other end of the spectrum, that getting it to to where I would need it would be a struggle. Hawk and I have similar tee games so his analysis gives me some hope and I wouldn't rule it out completely because of the success I had with the Amp Cell.

Last edited:
Great writeup Ryan. Seems like a very solid all-around performer, just like it's predecessors. You noted that it wasn't the longest, but it definitely seems like the forgiveness would make this a much better choice for a lot of golfers like me who's games would be a lot better from the fairway than the rough or the trees.

Good stuff right there Hawk. I like Seeing a higher launch with a low loft. The driver will assist a great many with their launch and distance

Thanks for the review Hawk. I don't know a ton about Cobra drivers but I know I am a believer in the E9 face technology. Absolutely love it on my Bio cell+

great review hawk. i cant wait to get sometime hitting this and seeing if it works for me.

It said that it was designed as a low spin, mid-high launch. While I know shafts can make a difference and improve spin some, I am so far on the other end of the spectrum, that getting it to to where I would need it would be a struggle. Hawk and I have similar tee games so his analysis gives me some hope and I wouldn't rule it out completely because of the success I had with the Amp Cell.

To be frank, the term low spin is tossed around enough by OEM's that it tends to lose meaning eventually.

I think it would be more than playable for you in the higher lofts especially.

To be frank, the term low spin is tossed around enough by OEM's that it tends to lose meaning eventually.

Yeah, it definitely scares me away almost to the point of me not wanting to even hit it (not this club, but all clubs that are defined as low spin).

QOTD!!

Nice work Ryan, love seeing how Cobra has progressed!

Hi Frank.

Excellent review Hawkster, I'm just not seeing the jump from the Bio that I expected, but honestly I think we got spoiled with the leap that was taken from Amp to Amp Cell to Bio Cell.

Great review, Hawk. I would like to give this driver a hit and see what improvements Cobra has made. The higher launch definitely has me impressed. I do wonder if a different shaft might bring those spin numbers down a little. I know a lot of guys got a huge jump in improvement from an aftermarket shaft in the Amp Cell, myself included.

This needs a nudge, its a solid review by the Hawk that sort of fell under the radar.

Plus, I want time with one of these, I've had great success with Cobra in the past.

Nice bump. Not sure how I missed this.

Another nice review. Sounds like this would be a great option for someone who needs some help with launch. I haven't paid much attention to Cobra drivers but I feel like they have lineup this year.

Thanks for the bump. I also missed this and based on the review from Hawk I feel it's something I need more data on. Both from (hopefully) other THPer reviews and my own analysis.

Hit this last week and the face felt really hot. Really nice offering and good continuation from the BioCell.

I would like to hit it and compare it to my bio cell.

I honestly HAVE to get my hands on one of these. I loved my Bio, and this one catches my imagination a bit, though I'm not big on some of the aesthetics.

Very nice, informative review. I have 2 Cobras... my go-to ZL Encore, and a Bio Cell. I've been wanting a bit more distance, hence why I've got the Bio Cell. I hit it all of about 5 yards further than my ZLE, but with a much, much lower trajectory. Low enough to be worrisome. I've adjusted the loft up to 11.5, but it's still too low for my tastes. I know my opinion and experience with the Bio Cell are outliers compared to most everyone else, but I've been sadly disappointed with it. I was considering the Fly-Z, but if it's closely comparable to the Bio Cell, I might have to reconsider.

Very nice, informative review. I have 2 Cobras... my go-to ZL Encore, and a Bio Cell. I've been wanting a bit more distance, hence why I've got the Bio Cell. I hit it all of about 5 yards further than my ZLE, but with a much, much lower trajectory. Low enough to be worrisome. I've adjusted the loft up to 11.5, but it's still too low for my tastes. I know my opinion and experience with the Bio Cell are outliers compared to most everyone else, but I've been sadly disappointed with it. I was considering the Fly-Z, but if it's closely comparable to the Bio Cell, I might have to reconsider.

It is closer to Bio Cell than ZL Encore, however the Fly-Z XL (also reviewed on THP) is closer to the Encore. During a recent THP Live Driver Test, it was definitely a higher launching driver.

Finally got to,hit this with some decent swings. Tried 10.5 head looking for some extra launch, weight back to get some spin. Didn't have numbers and even goimg through swing changes and cutting across the ball right now this thing was carrying 235-240 for me which is about normal. I was impressed with this and look forward to hitting it with a less of a cute swing.

Will be spending some time with one of these soon, won't get it out till post shaft review, but I'm pumped.

Also, EFFING WANT!
green-lizard-driver.png

Will be spending some time with one of these soon, won't get it out till post shaft review, but I'm pumped.

Also, EFFING WANT!
green-lizard-driver.png

WOW that looks sharp! Is that the green that is "standardly" available or is that a special edition color???

Back