Callaway Big Bertha V Series Heavenwood - Technology Q&A

I think you should try the V-Series 7w, or better yet, 9w. Just because.

Yeah, I game a 9w. Would be AWESOME.

I wonder if the 7W is as easy as the heavewood? you would think it would be right?

I wonder if the 7W is as easy as the heavewood? you would think it would be right?

No idea, my thinking always seems to get me in trouble :alien:

I think it would be fun to try.

I wish they made this club in like a 7W, id be all over that one as well. I think this one is going to be a game changer for me this year, and even moreso if I can get things going off of the tee.

What do you mean? It kind of is a 7 wood. If you love the profile and all, you could add a 2nd one and cut it down shorter and it would fill the gap for you.

I would venture to say yes. I personally think the 3 wood is just as easy to hit as the heavenwood.

What do you mean? It kind of is a 7 wood. If you love the profile and all, you could add a 2nd one and cut it down shorter and it would fill the gap for you.

Guess it is, I looked at it more like a 5W with a 3W shaft at that loft but perhaps it is closer to 7W land.

Mike - if you are thinking of cutting one down MikeG previously gave me an unused Tour Green hybrid shaft pull (still has plastic on the handle). I'd be happy to pay it forward to you for this experiment.

I want to make little heavenwood babies.

This club is silly for me. Going to be a consistent club off the tee and deck for me, and i'm so damn happy to have given it another go last weekend.

I haven't hit the heavenwood and I'm sure it's a very good performing club, but I can't imagine anything easier to hit than the 588 7-wood. All of the 588 line is very easy to hit, but the 7-wood really shines. I'm a hybrid guy (usually have trouble hitting FW from the fairway) but the 7-wood performs as good if not better than any hybrid I have hit. The x-hot and x2-hot FW are good choices also. The only other 7-wood I think comes close is the TM Aeroburner 7-wood. The aeroburner line is long and is also easy to hit.

I'm thinking of getting the strong 3W at 14* because the 15.5* is so easy.

Mike - if you are thinking of cutting one down MikeG previously gave me an unused Tour Green hybrid shaft pull (still has plastic on the handle). I'd be happy to pay it forward to you for this experiment.

THanks boss, let me get some outdoor swings and figure out what gaps need addressed and if I end up going that route I may take you up on that.

THanks boss, let me get some outdoor swings and figure out what gaps need addressed and if I end up going that route I may take you up on that.
That shaft will not work in the heavenwood. Tip size of shaft is bigger than hosel size on the head. Need a .335 shaft.

I'm gonna have heavenwood babies if my wife isn't careful.

Easily my favorite club in the bag right now and it's not even close. And I was about to sell it last week. What a moronic move that would have been.

I'm gonna have heavenwood babies if my wife isn't careful.

Easily my favorite club in the bag right now and it's not even close. And I was about to sell it last week. What a moronic move that would have been.
Are you playing the heavenwood at stock length? Isn't it a bit longer than a traditional fw of that loft?

Are you playing the heavenwood at stock length? Isn't it a bit longer than a traditional fw of that loft?

Pretty sure it is the same length as my 4W (X2 Hot) but here it is from the Callaway website.

NameLoftAvailabilityLengthLieSwing Weight
#3 15.5°RH / LH43.25"57.5°D0
#5 19°RH / LH42.5"58°D0
Heavenwood20.5°RH / LH43"58°D0
#7 22°RH Only42"58.5°D0
#9 25°RH Only41.5"59°D0

Mine's 1/2" shorter, so 42.5", current 3w in my bag is 43" so its close. Its same length as most 5w's being put out in the case of mine, but 2.5* more loft.

Mine's 1/2" shorter, so 42.5", current 3w in my bag is 43" so its close. Its same length as most 5w's being put out in the case of mine, but 2.5* more loft.
Gotcha. I think my 5w currently is 42.5" so it'd play the same lenght.

Gotcha. I think my 5w currently is 42.5" so it'd play the same lenght.

If you got it at -1/2", stock would be +1/2" from your 5w.

You'd love it, I really think so, its useful.

It is kind of the idea behind the club however. Higher loft, and then longer high launching shaft. Easy to hit due to loft, launch high and land soft.

It is kind of the idea behind the club however. Higher loft, and then longer high launching shaft. Easy to hit due to loft, launch high and land soft.

If I would have known about this club before I got my 4W, I would have waited for this bad boy. I bet I would get similar distance as my 4W if I got the right shaft in it.

Might be something I put in later and make it my only FW and maybe add another wedge at the bottom of the bag.

Has anyone done a heads up versus the Heavenwood and the 588 7 wood?

I want to make little heavenwood babies.

This club is silly for me. Going to be a consistent club off the tee and deck for me, and i'm so damn happy to have given it another go last weekend.

Let me ask you a dumb question. Is your 3w much longer than that Heavenwood?

Maybe it's my swing speed, but my long shafted 7w (588) is within about 5-10 yards of my 3/4/5 woods off the deck. When I really get ahold of the long shafted 7w, it's just as long.

The XHot 7W was insanely long as well. I ended up cutting it down and it was just awesome for an entire season. Nothing but high bombs.

I will admit though that I love 7ws. Below that I do better with the hybrid, but the 7w for me is way better than the 19 degree or lower lofted hybrid.

Had a full bag fitting today, and asked to hit the V series - we were trying to decide whether to go 2 fairways or 2 hybrids, and we thought the Heavenwood might be a good fit. As someone who's almost always played two hybrids in the bag, I was absolutely floored at how well I hit the heavenwood. Gaps in right where the 3h would for me, and I think it will be better off the tee for me than a hybrid will. I definitely hit it straighter in the fitting as well. I think this will be a really fun club to have in the bag this year.

I have not read many of the other replies, and I have owned the Heavenwood since September. I have the V Series in Driver, 3, 5, Heavenwood -- you might say I am "all in".

This club is a conundrum. For most of us, it needs a heavier shaft - Callaway has a 665 and 765. With the stock shaft, I get inconsistency. I've concluded that I am not the market for this club.

Whether Callaway admits it or not, I believe the club was intended for guys with slow swing speeds who cannot get a 3 or 5 "up" to sufficient carry and total distance. It is for the guy where the Heavenwood will be the lowest lofted fairway in the bag. I mean, the evidence shouts it. You've got a head whose volume is larger than a 5 wood and whose shaft is .5 inches longer.

It's a slow swinger club for distance.

Modifying the Heaven into a 7 did not make $$ sense or golf sense - the head is BIG.

Having realized that, I took the hit, traded in and up on the Callaway Website, and purchased the 7 wood in a Fuji 665 and 41.5 inches.

Good luck.

Let me ask you a dumb question. Is your 3w much longer than that Heavenwood?

Maybe it's my swing speed, but my long shafted 7w (588) is within about 5-10 yards of my 3/4/5 woods off the deck. When I really get ahold of the long shafted 7w, it's just as long.

The XHot 7W was insanely long as well. I ended up cutting it down and it was just awesome for an entire season. Nothing but high bombs.

I will admit though that I love 7ws. Below that I do better with the hybrid, but the 7w for me is way better than the 19 degree or lower lofted hybrid.

My 3w is 25 yards longer off the tee, about 15 off the deck. The heavenwood launches higher, spins more, and does exactly what I want it to for that gap.

I have not read many of the other replies, and I have owned the Heavenwood since September. I have the V Series in Driver, 3, 5, Heavenwood -- you might say I am "all in".

This club is a conundrum. For most of us, it needs a heavier shaft - Callaway has a 665 and 765. With the stock shaft, I get inconsistency. I've concluded that I am not the market for this club.

Whether Callaway admits it or not, I believe the club was intended for guys with slow swing speeds who cannot get a 3 or 5 "up" to sufficient carry and total distance. It is for the guy where the Heavenwood will be the lowest lofted fairway in the bag. I mean, the evidence shouts it. You've got a head whose volume is larger than a 5 wood and whose shaft is .5 inches longer.

It's a slow swinger club for distance.

Modifying the Heaven into a 7 did not make $$ sense or golf sense - the head is BIG.

Having realized that, I took the hit, traded in and up on the Callaway Website, and purchased the 7 wood in a Fuji 665 and 41.5 inches.

Good luck.

I recorded some info with mine the other day, 108 SS and the heavenwood is just a weapon for me. It's not JUST for lower swing speeds. By ANY stretch of the imagination.

My 3w is 25 yards longer off the tee, about 15 off the deck. The heavenwood launches higher, spins more, and does exactly what I want it to for that gap.

I recorded some info with mine the other day, 108 SS and the heavenwood is just a weapon for me. It's not JUST for lower swing speeds. By ANY stretch of the imagination.

I think it was initially intended as a club for those who struggle with launching a fairway wd -- the evidence as stated above -- volume larger than its companion 5 wood and longer shaft. Not saying it could not be a high speed weapon. It is for you. But I do think it needs a heavier shaft to be that weapon, and I see you have installed a heavier shaft. It was either modify the Heaven or stick with the 5 wd. I chose 5 wood -- you say po-tay-toe, I say po-tah-toe.

Last edited:
Back