Callaway Big Bertha V Series Heavenwood - Technology Q&A

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Technology Q&A is a new series in which THP will be discussing the latest products with leaders in the golf equipment industry. This edition features the Heavenwood and is full of really great information. You can find that on the THP Home Page here.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=24111

That was really cool, it amazes me to see the evolution of some past products and how technology has evolved over the years.

Great interview.

Loved the interview with the very relevant information gathering questions. Thanks Ryan!

Great interview and a lot of good stuff about the history and progression to the current line. This sentence stuck out to me the most as it is exactly me to a T

Generally, it is designed for players who struggle to hit lower lofted fairway woods off the ground but are still looking for maximum distance.

Wow. Distances approaching 3W length with a 20.5* head.

I don't know where the Heavenwood would fit into my bag. But I'd like to swing it a few times.

What would be awesome is if the Heavenwood came in a LH option!!!!!

Great interview, Ryan. It's a unique club and one that would fit nicely in the bags of many golfers

• Admin
Wow. Distances approaching 3W length with a 20.5* head.

I don't know where the Heavenwood would fit into my bag. But I'd like to swing it a few times.

When I was given that info a few months back I kind of scoffed at it. Then put it in play a few times and had success. Then played it again at PGA National with THPers and found the distance was closer to my 3 wood than I ever imagined. Especially as it relates to off the deck where I want something to land a bit softer.

and one cannot understate just how easy this thing was to hit off of the deck. A true game changer for most amateurs

I enjoyed this as I didn't know what made this club so special to many. I definitely need to give this club a go since I traditionally don't hit lower lofted fairways off the deck too well. Adding that distance in an easier to hit package is intriguing for sure.

What a great interview. When they announced the Heavenwood, I was curious how effective it would be, especially since more people haven't copied it, but sounds like it's much more than just putting a regular 7w head on a 4w shaft. As someone who really does struggle with FWs, I will totally have to check this one out to see if it helps.

Ease of hitting off the deck?

Yes please!

The Heavenwood sounds like a winner to me, as I generally need higher ball flights out of my FW's.

Thanks for reading guys. I thought it would be a fun way for you all to learn a little more about this club and hopefully we can expand it a bit if the feedback warrants it.

Regarding the distance discussion - I think you have to make sure you're framing it in the right way and that is with the mindset of this being a club for lower swing speeds. Personally, I saw carry that was similar to a 3h with a very high and very soft landing. My 4w (though somewhat unlike modern fairway woods in itself) is definitely longer in both carry distance and total yards though (gps and LM verified).

The issue with some fairway woods - especially modern fairway woods that are designed to replace the driver - is that lower and moderate swing speeds can have issues getting the ball in the air. They can make that up in roll some places, but in others that carry distance hurts them. Not to mention the difficulty they can see holding a green. A club like this is designed to give 3W type swing speeds with enough loft that it's both playable and a little closer to optimal in terms of ball flight and carry distance. Guys that swing fast and hit it high are likely not going to see the benefits - at least with distance.

Last thing I'd add is that my experience with this one has been that 1) it's very playable from trouble lies and the rough and 2) it's very forgiving off center.

Nice write up Hawk. I like the idea of this Q&A series.

I struggle getting my fairway woods high enough off of the deck. Sounds like the heavenwood will be worth trying out.

I really like the concept of the heavenwood, just not sure how it would work for me and fit into gaps/bag. I imagine I'd hit it too high but the ease of use off the deck may be worth the price of admission. I wonder how it would do with a heavier/stiffer shaft...

Good stuff. I can't wait to try this out in a few weeks and see how it compares to my Bobby Jones. I can see this club in the bag for sure.

What would be awesome is if the Heavenwood came in a LH option!!!!!

I wish it was available in LH, this would be a perfect club for my Dad. He doesn't hit a 5 wood with 18 degrees of loft all that high, more loft with the same shaft length as that club would be awesome for him.

I'd be interested in hitting this club as well, although the D0 swingweight scares me a bit as I've been fitted into D3-D5 throughout my bag.

Not saying this club is/would be a perfect option for you Ary, but lead tape is your friend. Back edge on fairways and hybrids. I've never had any come off.

Ryan, would you say in the hands of a 95 ss driver player thay this would be a viable option to replace a 5 and 7 wood? Choking down obviously to take some distance off to get more in the 22 degree distance range.

I think it's highly possible, but I'd definitely recommend testing all three at the same time to be sure. If I was guessing I'd say you'll see a pretty good increase in height over that Mashie fw and you'll probably find it close to as easy to hit from a variety of lies. Head is a little larger remember, but the sole proved to be pretty versatile.

Feedback on this makes me want to hit this thing even more. Used to carry something similar that was a great help for me on par 5s.

I think it's highly possible, but I'd definitely recommend testing all three at the same time to be sure. If I was guessing I'd say you'll see a pretty good increase in height over that Mashie fw and you'll probably find it close to as easy to hit from a variety of lies. Head is a little larger remember, but the sole proved to be pretty versatile.
I will be replacing everything in my bag in 2015 except putters. Definitely leaning Callaway for at least top end of bag and was thinking possibly 10.5 D, 15.5 3 metal, Heavenwood, 4h.

That could be a pretty sweet combo Sox. Let us know how that works out.

Really cool to hear about the tech behind the club, I really liked what I saw out of it after hitting Hawk's at the range.

I know a lot of people who used the original Heavenwood and loved it. You didn't hear many complaints about it except from the people who would never play a wood with that much loft! I bet this new version is a winner as well.

Back