The greatest era in golf?

Trout Bum

Regional Rival
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
What do you think is the greatest era in golf?

Was it the Bobby Jones era, the Hogan, Snead, Nelson era? Palmer Nicklaus, Player, Trevino, Chi Chi?
The Tiger years when he dominated in a way we've never seen before?

What say you?

1960 to 1980. A time when legends roamed. Palmer, Nicklaus, Player, Billy Casper, Trevino, Watson, Miller, and many more.

I have no choice but to go TW. He is the same age as me so it's what I grew up watching so to speak whew getting into golf. He basically dominated a decade of golf but I also believe that the competition he faces today is much tougher than the 2000's.

Right now.
Depth of field is the best we have ever seen hands down.
Every tournament is coming down to the wire.
Right now and it's not even close.

Definitely the present. So many good golfers. The women's has picked up a heap in standard over the last few years, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I agree with JB. Every tournament is seemingly up for grabs with no clear cut favorites going into events.

Think i misinterpreted the question. When I saw the names listed in the post I was thinking of a single player dominating.

I would agree that the depth of fields today is unmatchable and the talent we see on tour is superb through and through to previous eras.

1960 to 1980. A time when legends roamed. Palmer, Nicklaus, Player, Billy Casper, Trevino, Watson, Miller, and many more.
I agree, the tour was less corporate then

This... Plus in the 60s we got to see Sam Snead on occasion

I've only ever watched the 90s till now. with that in mind, right now.

I've only ever watched the 90s till now. with that in mind, right now.

Same with me, so I would say right now as well. I think some people would define the greatest era as a time when one person dominated, such as TW. but others may say right now because every tournament is up for grabs.

Right now.
No doubt I agree about the depth of field these days, I think that's almost indisputable.

That said, there was something about the early 70's that really hooked me. Of course I was 10 years old about the time I guess most boys get interested in sports. But Arnie and Jack were in their primes, and Johnny Miller was the brash young gun who got a lot of attention. I loved watching them all battle together.

I really wish I could have witnessed the Hogan, Snead and Nelson eras as well.

It's funny, I love watching the old footage of the 60's 70's and 80's with those guys. For some reason it just seems so much more exciting and I think it's because of the personalities those guys had back then, Funky swings, tenacity, and great shot making.

Right now.

^This. I thought watching Tiger dominate was awesome but there is so much parity now that it often comes down to the wire or a playoff....

For me it was the 90s into the tiger era. Watching the Ryder Cup teams of the 90s was epic. Watching Love and coupled in the world cup was so much fun. Watching Norman and Falco dominate and the epic finishes in the majors, man that was something.

Tiger era is self explanatory

I agree with JB. Right now we're seeing the best as far as era goes. But none of this is possible with out the build up along the way. Which could be said tgrought many different things. Once the foundation is set. Bigger, better, faster always happens. In 10 years we may be looking at the greatest era with from a different view. Who knows, but we can only hope we see a continued growth of the game. It certainly is much more lucrative know than it was 30-40 years ago.

I agree with JB. Right now we're seeing the best as far as era goes. But none of this is possible with out the build up along the way. Which could be said tgrought many different things. Once the foundation is set. Bigger, better, faster always happens. In 10 years we may be looking at the greatest era with from a different view. Who knows, but we can only hope we see a continued growth of the game. It certainly is much more lucrative know than it was 30-40 years ago.
I gave this era a hard think. So many great players. I think a legit rivalry is what we are lacking

My gut reaction was to say right now, but this era just doesn't have a true rivalry or top 3 guys that go after each other week in and week out. Also, this era is being ruined by all the Tiger focus that doesn't need to be there. I do agree that the depth of the fields and the fact that every tournament is up for grabs until 18 on Sunday makes for great entertainment.
I only started watching golf with the emergence of Tiger around 2000 and there just always seemed to be something magical about his run.

There is justification for every era, but I think the era of Palmer, Nicklaus, Player, Chi-Chi, Trevino, Watson, to name just a few, will always be the greatest golf era for me. These are the golfers I grew up watching. Second for me would be the preceding era - Hogan, Nelson, Snead, (and others) who paved the way for future golfing generations.

there were some great golfers in the 60-80s but like many i started watching golf in the 90s with Freddie Couples, Payne Stewart, Corey Pavin and started playing in the late 90s. While i was hooked on golf as soon as i started playing Tiger was a big force behind me really getting into the game.

But now with the amount of talent on the PGA tour and the increase of talented players on the LPGA i would have to say right now is some of the best golf and each tournament brings dramatic finishes that anyone should be able to enjoy regardless of how big a fan you are.

Something about the era when Norman was on top - I wanted him to win a bunch of majors and really love how he played the game. I don't know if he did anything to deserve it, but Karma beat him like a teenage peter...

I gave this era a hard think. So many great players. I think a legit rivalry is what we are lacking
True, but in Tiger's era....what was the rivalry? Nobody really charged the hill consistently to make a rivalry persay. Maybe Phil, but was that really a true rivalry? Similar to today I guess.

True, but in Tiger's era....what was the rivalry? Nobody really charged the hill consistently to make a rivalry persay. Maybe Phil, but was that really a true rivalry? Similar to today I guess.
That's just it, the Tiger era was his and his alone. Almost every era had its rivalries. I think for golf to really take hold again, these athletes needs to go head to head. The playoffs we've had have been great viewing. Having that every week between a couple rivals might spice it up. Not saying with out it this era fails, but it would be cool to see.

That's just it, the Tiger era was his and his alone. Almost every era had its rivalries. I think for golf to really take hold again, these athletes needs to go head to head. The playoffs we've had have been great viewing. Having that every week between a couple rivals might spice it up. Not saying with out it this era fails, but it would be cool to see.
Good point bro

I think currently is a pretty solid era for golf. So many great players on the tour that you just don't know who is going to pull away and win each week.

Back