Average LPGA swing speed

Yesterday on a shot that Stacy Lewis just clear a bunker the announcer said that it was 240 yards to clear that bunker. Obviously that information was incorrect.

why do you say that?

I was playing with some friends last summer and one remarked "I crushed that one. 300, maybe 310....read it and weep boys..." One of our friends in our group challenged him on that comment, betting him $10 it wasn't past 260. There was nobody on the course, so a neutral friend and I drove out and lasered back to them standing on the tee box. Distance? 242 with an estimated 230 carry.

winner winner chicken dinner

anyone know what the average course length is for them on tour?
From lpga.com:

11. What tees do the LPGA Tour players compete from each week?
The LPGA Tour sets up its own tees at each tournament stop. The average yardage for an LPGA Tour golf course is between 6,200 and 6,600 yards.

Average LPGA swing speed

It's tough to be a short knocker! Just think about all us amateur women who don't come close to LPGA swing speeds. I remember playing in a scramble at PGA National with a group of THPers. One guy was hitting his wedge and I had a 6 iron.

Last edited:
I would love to be able to hit it like the LPGA players. A consistent 240/250 down the middle of the fairway I would be 100% ok with. They run circles around me scoring wise and look way better doing it.

I think it makes it MORE impressive. The last event played to 6769 yards. They don't hit the ball "far" yet they score. Most of us could learn a thing or two from them about how to get around a course (as opposed to any of the men's tours, where they aren't really playing the same game as most of us).

They hit a huge % of fairways and are incredible with their fairway woods and hybrids. Their ability to hit them fairly long and dead straight is, IMO, what sets them apart from the single digit amateur men.

It's tough to be a short knocker! Just think about all us amateur women who don't come close to LPGA swing speeds. I remember playing in a scramle at PGA National with a group of THPers. One guy was hitting his wedge and I had a 6 iron.

I know the feeling. *sigh

It's tough to be a short knocker! Just think about all us amateur women who don't come close to LPGA swing speeds. I remember playing in a scramle at PGA National with a group of THPers. One guy was hitting his wedge and I had a 6 iron.

That's not just restricted to females Kelly. Routinely my friends are hitting wedges on par 3's where I'm hitting a 7-iron.

I see all these guys hitting 110-yard 60-degrees. That's a 9-iron for me.

wow 6200-6600 is still pretty long, very impressive

They hit a huge % of fairways and are incredible with their fairway woods and hybrids. Their ability to hit them fairly long and dead straight is, IMO, what sets them apart from the single digit amateur men.

It's incredible how accurate they are with woods and long irons. I remember last year Mo Martin who won the woman's open championship, was explaining how comfortable she was hitting a baby cut with her 3 wood. Almost holed out for double eagle with that thing.

It's incredible how accurate they are with woods and long irons. I remember last year Mo Martin who won the woman's open championship, was explaining how comfortable she was hitting a baby cut with her 3 wood. Almost holed out for double eagle with that thing.

I played a round with Kris Tamulis and watched her stick a 4w to 7 feet on a par 5 from 200 yards or so.

Different category, but Mo Martin leads the lpga tour in driving accuracy, hitting over 90% of fairways.

I played a round with Kris Tamulis and watched her stick a 4w to 7 feet on a par 5 from 200 yards or so.

I played a round with Moira in Tampa, and she just flat out dominated the course without overpowering it. Played the same tees as us and she put on a show.

I played a round with Moira in Tampa, and she just flat out dominated the course without overpowering it. Played the same tees as us and she put on a show.

Her and Kris at Grand Cypress wasn't even fair for the rest of us. They were throwing darts.

Her and Kris at Grand Cypress wasn't even fair for the rest of us. They were throwing darts.

we played Westchase on a windy day, and if she had putted better she would have easily been 6 under. I think she missed 1 green.

It's tough to be a short knocker! Just think about all us amateur women who don't come close to LPGA swing speeds. I remember playing in a scramble at PGA National with a group of THPers. One guy was hitting his wedge and I had a 6 iron.
It's not just the ladies, my game looks a lot like that too.

we played Westchase on a windy day, and if she had putted better she would have easily been 6 under. I think she missed 1 green.

That depresses me. That's a tough tough course when it's windy.

I was playing with some friends last summer and one remarked "I crushed that one. 300, maybe 310....read it and weep boys..." One of our friends in our group challenged him on that comment, betting him $10 it wasn't past 260. There was nobody on the course, so a neutral friend and I drove out and lasered back to them standing on the tee box. Distance? 242 with an estimated 230 carry.

Yep, most golfers grossly overestimate how far they hit it.

Thanks for posting that Hawk. Those number really surprise me after watching their practice swings. I know Brittney hits it long for the woman as does Lexi but watch Stacy swing, I am surprised.

Actually according to the stats, the LPGA tour players on average hitting up on the driver at AA up to +3 degrees while the PGA tour is at about -0.5. Allowing the LPGA players to get more out of their swing speed than men do. For instance Britany lancicome (one of the longest drivers on LPGA) yesterday decided not to hit 3 wood for a 207 carry and 230 to the flag because she would fly it. There are players who average 100 mph on the long side, while most i believe is more below 90.

2010 Trackman Stats.

2009-Tour-Averages.jpg

A negative angle attack means swing speed is not being realized?
Actually according to the stats, the LPGA tour players on average hitting up on the driver at AA up to +3 degrees while the PGA tour is at about -0.5. Allowing the LPGA players to get more out of their swing speed than men do. For instance Britany lancicome (one of the longest drivers on LPGA) yesterday decided not to hit 3 wood for a 207 carry and 230 to the flag because she would fly it. There are players who average 100 mph on the long side, while most i believe is more below 90.

When it comes to driver, it more optimal for the launch conditions and I know your question was rhetorical as you already know, that's not always the case but to get more out of a lesser swing, a positive AA helps.

Looking at that chart spin seems low for the ladies on almost every club but driver which is similar to the men's

Actually according to the stats, the LPGA tour players on average hitting up on the driver at AA up to +3 degrees while the PGA tour is at about -0.5. Allowing the LPGA players to get more out of their swing speed than men do.
Do you really believe that PGA Tour pros are leaving distance on the table by hitting down on their driver instead of up?

Back