2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have been using the bar for my deadlifts but have seen others who use the trap bar including a recent photo of Rory's workouts.

what is the advantage and/or disadvantage of using a trap bar for deadlifts compared to using the standard bar?
It's generally easier on the lower back. The lift is primarily done with the quads, not the hamstrings and lower back, like a straight bar deadlift. It's also easier to learn. It is also is easier on the shins, since the bar isn't dragging up your legs.

From what I have read, hex bar deads have a higher risk of injury because it is easier to step in and do, so people don't learn how to do it correctly.

They are more of a squat substitute (not a good one, mind you) than a deadlift substitute.

Last edited:
35 minutes on the treadmill to start off my Easter Sunday. Something about having my workout done before the kids wake up is kind of refreshing.

It's generally easier on the lower back. The lift is primarily done with the quads, not the hamstrings and lower back, like a straight bar deadlift. It's also easier to learn. It is also is easier on the shins, since the bar isn't dragging up your legs.

From what I have read, hex bar deads have a higher risk of injury because it is easier to step in and do, so people don't learn how to do it correctly.

They are more of a squat substitute (not a good one, mind you) than a deadlift substitute.

thanks...this confirms what kind of crossed my mind.

thanks...this confirms what kind of crossed my mind.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the hexbar. I believe the hexbar deadlift, along with sumo deadlifts, are for people not willing to learn a proper deadlift.

I think they are okay, but should be used as accessory lifts.

I think they are okay, but should be used as accessory lifts.
I'm of the opinion, if you can add deadlift weight to the bar every week then you don't need accessory lifts.

But that's just me.

Last edited:
1st round of the year yesterday after quitting smoking and dropping 35lbs......what a difference, still was taxing walking and carrying, but I felt much better after the round then I usually do. 25lbs more to go to get to my goal. Gym will be lowered to 3 times a week as I plan on walking and carrying Saturdays and Sundays, if the weather doesnt cooperate the gym is always there :D

4.4 miles on the bike and 20 minutes of yoga done. Time to get back at it. Today was as good a day as any.

I'm of the opinion, if you can add deadlift weight to the bar every week then you don't need accessory lifts.

But that's just me.

Wait, accessory lifts as in mobility training so that you reduce chance injury or as in you're not getting enough strength work with the deadlift so you have to finish it off with other lifts?
I mean accessory more as a way to promote full range of motion while reducing any injury.

Wait, accessory lifts as in mobility training so that you reduce chance injury or as in you're not getting enough strength work with the deadlift so you have to finish it off with other lifts?
I mean accessory more as a way to promote full range of motion while reducing any injury.
I believe if you're not getting enough strength work from the deadlift, you're doing something wrong. I'm not sure what is missing from a full range of motion with squats and deads.

I also think of accessory lifts as lifts that are done to help the deadlift. There is a point where deadlifts get so heavy that it is not possible to do them every week and still recover. I'm not sure there is anybody on this forum who is at that point. To be honest.

For those who sit a desk all day this is an incredible exercise:

I believe if you're not getting enough strength work from the deadlift, you're doing something wrong. I'm not sure what is missing from a full range of motion with squats and deads.

I also think of accessory lifts as lifts that are done to help the deadlift. There is a point where deadlifts get so heavy that it is not possible to do them every week and still recover. I'm not sure there is anybody on this forum who is at that point. To be honest.

I would say there are cases when you may not be working your hamstrings enough on the DL or squat (depending on length of limbs, individual mechanics), and so something like hamstring situps will help you beef up your hamstrings.

Another one would be single-leg standing calf raises to help with the explosive jump needed on something like a clean and jerk.

Just some thoughts. :)

For those who sit a desk all day this is an incredible exercise:

I'm going to rock these after lunch! They look workable.

I would say there are cases when you may not be working your hamstrings enough on the DL or squat (depending on length of limbs, individual mechanics), and so something like hamstring situps will help you beef up your hamstrings.

Another one would be single-leg standing calf raises to help with the explosive jump needed on something like a clean and jerk.

Just some thoughts. :)

I have not come across any reading where limb size could limit hamstring develop. Now mechanics is a different issue. If your mechanics are limiting strength, fix your mechanics. High bar squats, ATG squats, sumo deadlifts, hexbar deadlifts will all limit hamstring development.

Vertical jump and rapid force development cannot be trained. It's genetic. calf raises will not make a person a better jumper or more explosive.

Edit: I do like the idea of mixing in glute/ham raises on days when you're not pulling. I know that sounds counter to everything I just said, but they are a good way to train the hamstrings on days when not pulling. But those raises are not replacements for the deadlift.

Hold on. In my head I am mixing up "accessory "and "auxiliary " . Even still, very few of us on this forum should be worried about accessory lifts, if strength is the goal. Even fewer need to worry about auxiliary lifts. I doubt there is anybody here who would gain more from a rack pull, compared to a full deadlift.

I would say that mechanics are partially limb-length dependent. One person may have more of a bent-over deadlift than someone else due to their upper/lower body ratio.

Regarding hamstrings themselves, ATG (limited by hamstring flexibility so you don't round your lower back) squats while using squat shoes and actively pushing out the knees during decent and ascent will definitely activate them.

Your edit doesn't sound counter-intuitive. :) Definitely agree they're not replacements, but I do think they are enhancements.

I have not come across any reading where limb size could limit hamstring develop. Now mechanics is a different issue. If your mechanics are limiting strength, fix your mechanics. High bar squats, ATG squats, sumo deadlifts, hexbar deadlifts will all limit hamstring development.

Vertical jump and rapid force development cannot be trained. It's genetic. calf raises will not make a person a better jumper or more explosive.

Edit: I do like the idea of mixing in glute/ham raises on days when you're not pulling. I know that sounds counter to everything I just said, but they are a good way to train the hamstrings on days when not pulling. But those raises are not replacements for the deadlift.

Is this the "Fitness and weight loss thread" or the "Power Lifter so I don't have to worry about what I eat thread"???? :p

Sorry could not resist that......

Is this the "Fitness and weight loss thread" or the "Power Lifter so I don't have to worry about what I eat thread"????

Sorry could not resist that......
It's whatever you/we/I/him/her want it to be. When questions are asked about strength building and gaining, certain things have to he said in certain ways. If somebody needs to lose weight or eat healthier, they can ask and thpers with experience can chime in.

Also, power lifters also need to watch what they eat.

Last edited:
I was making a little joke, but many people use power lifting as excuse to eat ******, to each their own, it just always makes me chuckle.

It's whatever you/we/I/him/her want it to be. When questions are asked about strength building and gaining, certain things have to he said in certain ways. Of somebody needs to lose weight or eat healthier, they can ask and thpers with experience can chime in.

Also, power lifters also need to watch what they eat.

I would say that mechanics are partially limb-length dependent. One person may have more of a bent-over deadlift than someone else due to their upper/lower body ratio.

Regarding hamstrings themselves, ATG (limited by hamstring flexibility so you don't round your lower back) squats while using squat shoes and actively pushing out the knees during decent and ascent will definitely activate them.

Your edit doesn't sound counter-intuitive. :) Definitely agree they're not replacements, but I do think they are enhancements.
There is no real way to low bar squat and go ATG. going down that deep will force the lower back to round and hamstrings to slack. The best way to eliminate butt wink (ick), is to high bar or front squat, keeping the torso as vertical possible. Both of those techniques are substandard to a low bar squat for strength training.

I was making a little joke, but many people use power lifting as excuse to eat ******, to each their own, it just always makes me chuckle.
I knew you were making a little joke. I also know powerlifters who eat like crap, as well. I also know a few guys who are so strong lift so heavy that they literally eat to 6000 calories in season.

Great session today. I got it done early so I could watch the Badgers tonight

Sleeves throughout
Squats:
5 x 45
5 x 135
5 x 185
5 x 225 belted
5 x 265 belted
5 x 310 belted
5 x 345 belted

Press
5 x 45
5 x 95
5 x 105
5 x 125 belted
5 x 145 belted
5 x 160 belted (new 5 rep PR)

Deads
5 x 160
5 x 225
5 x 315 belted
3 x 415 belted
2 x 425 belted
5 x 455 belted (new PR)

Chins

#repsforjesus

Back at the gym today. Did a bunch of mobility work and low weight deadlifts to rehab, and mixed in some pull-ups and sprint intervals. Hit a weighted pullup target I've been shooting for for a while (barely) and then did the rest bodyweight.

Fun to leave the gym happy instead of frustrated.

Awesome chins progress!

Great session today. I got it done early so I could watch the Badgers tonight

Chins

#repsforjesus

Back at it this week after taking last week off.... I was feeling really tired when I went in and this is the first time in a while that I've done reps this high trying to go to absolute muscle failure.

High rep week (12-15 reps per set)

4 sets bench press @ 135
3 sets incline bench @ 95
3 sets incline flyes @ 25
3 sets cable crossovers @ 115
3 sets tricep pull downs @ 200
3 sets lying tricep extensions @ 180
3 sets overhead tricep extensions @ 180

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back