Official US Open Thread [Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are correct in saying he is a little longer.
Stricker on Tour this year is tied for 132nd with 278.8
Gay on Tour is year is about 40 spots behind at 264.7

Accuracy is a different story.
Gay on Tour is 74.05% and in 1st place
Stricker is 67% and in 27th place.

But I am just not sure a guy with driving distance outside the top 100 can win. I might be wrong and many are rooting for him, but I just do not think Stricker can get it done here. And who am I to say anything, Im wrong more than I am right, that is for sure...hehe

I think a guy outside the top 100 in driving distance can win(Tiger Woods ranked 113th). I am a believer that in US Opens, if you hit fairways and have a great showing around the green(pitches, chips, bunkers, putting) you can overcome 30 yards of distance.

I can't find the stats but what was Monty's driving distance at Winged Foot? He was accurate and good around the greens that week(until number 72)

look at the past open champions, most of them are considered longer off the tee. no way that someone who's outside the top 100 in dd remotely challenges. i think in order to have a chance in the cobra contest you'll have to have the winner.

what about rickie fowler? anyone think he has a decent chance this weekend? he has the length and the accuracy but does he have the poise?

I think a guy outside the top 100 in driving distance can win(Tiger Woods ranked 113th). I am a believer that in US Opens, if you hit fairways and have a great showing around the green(pitches, chips, bunkers, putting) you can overcome 30 yards of distance.

I can't find the stats but what was Monty's driving distance at Winged Foot? He was accurate and good around the greens that week(until number 72)

Good point. There have been a select few. But not in recent years when the courses are monsters...I dont believe anyway. Heck Goosen won it doing that very thing.

I was there at shinnecock, his short game was great

look at the past open champions, most of them are considered longer off the tee. no way that someone who's outside the top 100 in dd remotely challenges. i think in order to have a chance in the cobra contest you'll have to have the winner.

what about rickie fowler? anyone think he has a decent chance this weekend? he has the length and the accuracy but does he have the poise?

I don't think he is in the field...

He has as much chance of winning as I do this weekend....He did not qualify.

He has as much chance of winning as I do this weekend....He did not qualify.

good point! i suck, and i don't do any research concerning these things.

Lol might be the last time you can ever say that!

Meant to have JB's quote here

He has the length, accuracy and the poise. He just doesn't have a ticket. :laughing:

win, lose or draw I am really looking forward to some great golf this weekend! would also love to see Phil finally grab that #1 ranking

I doubt you guys will have heard much of Rhys Davies but he could go well this week. He drives long and straight and looks a terrific putter. He could relish this or be totally overwhelmed but as a dark horse pick he'd be mine.

I'd also agree with those who rate Luke Donald's chances as he's bang in form.

I wish more US courses were like this - I love the US Open wherever it is played, it really seems to ask just enough questions of the players without going over the top. (Bar the odd ridic green scenario) Hope this one is as good as 1913 and a little closer than 2000. It should be the tournament of the year with St Andrews being the poorest of our Open's venues imo.

I have to add a darkhorse, Justin Leonard.... straight, good putter and short game, firm fairways and not a ton of course length could be just right for him, or Furyk

yep, JB and I will at the least tie with Fowler and Rose this weekend!!! WE ROCK!

WOW, a Ty Tryon sighting, good for him, keeping the dream alive. Just shows what a fickle mistress is Lady Golf, let's see who can name some other "can't miss kids"?

TGC talked to the players who said the setup is going to be brutal. They raised the rough and made bunkers larger. It should be interesting scoring.

I hear the weather is supposed to be dry and sunny, that means winds, and as anyone who follows golf knows, wind is Pabbles #1 defence.

Gotta agree, while bomb and gouge will be more difficult with the rough so thick, still, a 9 iron from the rough beats the hell out of a 5 iron

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw on TGC that the players weren't very fond of letting the tall weeds grow up around the bunkers. Already heard some comments about "unplayable" from certain spots in the bunkers.

Anyways, I don't udnerstand why the USGA has to make it so hard. I think they make it so hard as to take some/alot of the skill out of some situations, and make it too dependent on pure luck.

Saw an interesting interview with Dustin Johnson, as the defending two time champ at Pebble, I was curious to see what he would have to say. He talked about taking some different clubs off the tees, it should be an excellent week!

Saw an interesting interview with Dustin Johnson, as the defending two time champ at Pebble, I was curious to see what he would have to say. He talked about taking some different clubs off the tees, it should be an excellent week!

He just got a R9 TP 2 iron made up for the week.

I think this is the week Tiger breaks out of his funk and I'm picking him to win it. I think Phil will struggle to make the top 5, his driver is getting worse not better.

Tiger
Furyk
Barnes
Choi
Mickelson

I think this is the week Tiger breaks out of his funk and I'm picking him to win it. I think Phil will struggle to make the top 5, his driver is getting worse not better.

Tiger
Furyk
Barnes
Choi
Mickelson

Couldnt the same be true for Tiger? I mean have we seen him tee off recently? In his last tourny, he hit 3 fans.

i really struggle with tiger this week. deep down i think he'll get some things worked out and he'll have a good showing. the guy's desire to compete and to win is amazing, but i just don't think it's there yet. if there's one thing i've learned about golf it's that you can't "will" a golf ball and it looks like that's what he's been doing. i liked the tiger that just ripped in down the fairway, hit high towering approaches and always scared the hole with his putter. after watching the 2000 US open highlights on TGC, it amazes me how different of a player he is now. he just seems tentative. maybe he's just conscious about his behaviour, i don't know. one things for sure, he'll either be amazing or not at all, and i'm banking on not at all.

i really struggle with tiger this week. deep down i think he'll get some things worked out and he'll have a good showing. the guy's desire to compete and to win is amazing, but i just don't think it's there yet. if there's one thing i've learned about golf it's that you can't "will" a golf ball and it looks like that's what he's been doing. i liked the tiger that just ripped in down the fairway, hit high towering approaches and always scared the hole with his putter. after watching the 2000 US open highlights on TGC, it amazes me how different of a player he is now. he just seems tentative. maybe he's just conscious about his behaviour, i don't know. one things for sure, he'll either be amazing or not at all, and i'm banking on not at all.

I don't care if he curses or gets angry at bad shots. I just want to see the man get back to playing amazing golf.

I don't care if he curses or gets angry at bad shots. I just want to see the man get back to playing amazing golf.

i have to agree ddec! he needs to just get back to whatever form it once was, it's been way to paiful watching him lately, especially with all the phony waves and his so called new attitude. just get back to being a ruthless s.o.b on the course tigger!

+1 he needs to swear more this week lol. Don't worry Tiger, the ocean will drown out most of your swearing .
i have to agree ddec! he needs to just get back to whatever form it once was, it's been way to paiful watching him lately, especially with all the phony waves and his so called new attitude. just get back to being a ruthless s.o.b on the course tigger!

+1 he needs to swear more this week lol. Don't worry Tiger, the ocean will drown out most of your swearing .

yep, the sad thing is that that's just the real tiger, love him or hate him, but he's also the much better golfer and the one that i want to see. someone needs to light a fire under that guy. i wish he was a forum member, that would be cool..we could inspire him to get back to his nasty ways, maybe even win a tournament or two. this makes me think of a good thread topic.

yep, the sad thing is that that's just the real tiger, love him or hate him, but he's also the much better golfer and the one that i want to see. someone needs to light a fire under that guy. i wish he was a forum member, that would be cool..we could inspire him to get back to his nasty ways, maybe even win a tournament or two. this makes me think of a good thread topic.

Or perhaps it has nothing to do with teh swearing or temper tantrums (which really have only been mildly toned down) and the root of his issue is the fact that he cant tee off. Or maybe he needs to visit a Waffle House.

Theyre showing his 2000 win here on the GC, he just kills the ball. That is def a different player then what we see today.

LMAO

Maybe he's got Mackey Sasser/Steve Sax kind of issues off the tee now?
Or perhaps it has nothing to do with teh swearing or temper tantrums (which really have only been mildly toned down) and the root of his issue is the fact that he cant tee off. Or maybe he needs to visit a Waffle House.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back