Official US Open Thread [Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is the official thread to talk all things US Open. We want to hear from everybody, the big three! Winner? Darkhorse? Disappointment?

Obviously many will want to wait to give that info out until the Cobra contest is closed for entries tomorrow. GG and I will announce ours on the radio show this week.

TGC talked to the players who said the setup is going to be brutal. They raised the rough and made bunkers larger. It should be interesting scoring.

TGC talked to the players who said the setup is going to be brutal. They raised the rough and made bunkers larger. It should be interesting scoring.

That will make things tough for players who can't hit a fairway (Tiger the past few tournaments).

Saw that Ty Tryon qualified. Good for him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i'll pretty much reveal just about everything concerning my picks but one. my winner this weekend is phil mickelson. he's been playing tournies leading up to the US Open just to prepare for the US Open, similar to what he did before the Masters. we'll see phil hitting that 2 iron a lot this weekend. if he can remotely make putts he'll be in contention. i also like lee westwood, surprise, b/c despite what many say about him not being able to close the door, check out his record in the past 4 majors. he'll be on the top of the leaderboard, and that's always good for contest points. i don't see dustin johnson doing much this weekend. everyone talks about his successes at pebble, but it's a totally different golf course.

can't say who my darkhorse pick is yet.

• Admin
i'll pretty much reveal just about everything concerning my picks but one. my winner this weekend is phil mickelson. he's been playing tournies leading up to the US Open just to prepare for the US Open, similar to what he did before the Masters. we'll see phil hitting that 2 iron a lot this weekend. if he can remotely make putts he'll be in contention. i also like lee westwood, surprise, b/c despite what many say about him not being able to close the door, check out his record in the past 4 majors. he'll be on the top of the leaderboard, and that's always good for contest points. i don't see dustin johnson doing much this weekend. everyone talks about his successes at pebble, but it's a totally different golf course.

Im pretty sure after the last one, you said no more Westwood.

would love to see Duval. Was very close last year.... a runner up finish at Pebble earlier in the year(although set up to play easier) could give him positive vibes going in to the week. He played bad at Memorial, hope he plays well.

Im pretty sure after the last one, you said no more Westwood.

i know, i'm an idiot. i don't want him to win it, but i believe he helps me out in the contest. chances are good that he will not win but chances are good that he'll finish in the top 3.

TC - Our first three picks are the same and for many of the same reasons. I don't think Westwood will win, but when it comes to coming close, he's pretty solid.

Phil has had fits with a wild driver too. If he has driver issues again it could be fun. Luckily hes got mad short game skillzzzzz

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk

Phil has had fits with a wild driver too. If he has driver issues again it could be fun. Luckily hes got mad short game skillzzzzz

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk

That's why I still picked him. He can dig himself out of some pretty dicey spots.

I like Westwood to be in the top 3 but not win. I think Phil is going to be a little wild this week so I didn't pick him. Talking about wild I did pick Tiger. I just think his putting looked pretty good last tourney and he has very good memories of Pebble which should help him. Plus I love his pairing of Ernie and Westwood. Ernie seems to bring out the competitor in Tiger. Straight driving and great putting is a good combo for the Open so I also went with Stricker who is due. For my Cobra player I picked my favorite.

I have a really good feeling about Luke Donald after a win and a couple other good showings over in Europe in the past month.

I have a really good feeling about Luke Donald after a win and a couple other good showings over in Europe in the past month.

I like Donald as well, he has been playing well as of lately

I would say Phil is playing better leading up to the US Open then he was for the masters. He was T-30(+2) at Bay Hill and T-35(-2) at Houston in his lead up tourny's for the masters.

Even though he missed the cut at the Texas Open(after a few weeks off) he definately showed that his game is rounding in to good form at the Memorial. I wonder if he hit the ball of the cart path incase he has to hit one off a boulder on the beach at pebble? That being said, I did not pick Mickelson(who I would consider to be the cut and dry favorite this week)

I like Westwood to be in the top 3 but not win. I think Phil is going to be a little wild this week so I didn't pick him. Talking about wild I did pick Tiger. I just think his putting looked pretty good last tourney and he has very good memories of Pebble which should help him. Plus I love his pairing of Ernie and Westwood. Ernie seems to bring out the competitor in Tiger. Straight driving and great putting is a good combo for the Open so I also went with Stricker who is due. For my Cobra player I picked my favorite.

That's interesting, if straight driving and good putting are what wins it then I could see someone like Brian Gay doing well. He is really short off the tee compared to most but his driving accuracy is one of the best and he is also one of the best putters. I don't personally think he will make a run for it, although, I would love to see that happen.

I really think Phil has to be my favorite, for my darkhorse....Tom Watson, (everyones sentimental favorite), dissappointment...Lee Westwood, he just can't bring it home

That's interesting, if straight driving and good putting are what wins it then I could see someone like Brian Gay doing well. He is really short off the tee compared to most but his driving accuracy is one of the best and he is also one of the best putters. I don't personally think he will make a run for it, although, I would love to see that happen.

Yeah, I agree with you. Gay and ZJ would be huge favorites if it was just straight and good putting. But the other side of it is the enormous length of the Open courses. I dont see Stricker doing well this weekend, but just my thoughts. I also dont see gay or ZJ doing well either. I would like to see all of them do well.

i think that pebble's gonna be too demanding for length for guys like gay and stricker. phil can be eratic off the tee for sure, but at least he can just miss to one side, unlike tiger lately, and that's huge at pebble. phil may be hitting out of the rough on occassion but i don't see him missing fwys where he absolutely can't. plus it helps when you can hit a 2 iron 270!

edit: JB beat me to it ^^^^^

I'll let most of the cat out of my bag. My picks are:

Phil
Tiger
*mystery pick*
Villegas

Since this is total cumulative $$ won,.....close, 2nd, 3rd, or whatever actually counts for something

I'll let most of the cat out of my bag. My picks are:

Phil
Tiger
*mystery pick*
Villegas

Since this is total cumulative $$ won,.....close, 2nd, 3rd, or whatever actually counts for something

I absolutely agree. However to play devils advocate, nobody has ever won our "major contests" without having the winner on their team.

I think he's just a little too short. Don't have any stats to back me up but I would wager Stricker is longer than Gay. I think Stricker has enough length to be able to play this course while I think Gay will have too many shots with long irons. JMO of course and I'm usually waaaaaaay off.

I will tell you I have Tiger and Poulter 2 others will be announced Thursday morning

I thought about that, I'm hoping that the sum can overcome the one
I absolutely agree. However to play devils advocate, nobody has ever won our "major contests" without having the winner on their team.

I think he's just a little too short. Don't have any stats to back me up but I would wager Stricker is longer than Gay. I think Stricker has enough length to be able to play this course while I think Gay will have too many shots with long irons. JMO of course and I'm usually waaaaaaay off.

You are correct in saying he is a little longer.
Stricker on Tour this year is tied for 132nd with 278.8
Gay on Tour is year is about 40 spots behind at 264.7

Accuracy is a different story.
Gay on Tour is 74.05% and in 1st place
Stricker is 67% and in 27th place.

But I am just not sure a guy with driving distance outside the top 100 can win. I might be wrong and many are rooting for him, but I just do not think Stricker can get it done here. And who am I to say anything, Im wrong more than I am right, that is for sure...hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back