Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Ball Review Thread

I can honestly say (and had a thread like this a while back), in all of my testing, I have never noticed a golf ball have different distance control than another golf ball.

You need to putt a wilson Duo and a prov1 side by side. The Duo will go much further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm soooo impressionable. Lostgolfballs.com doesn't have any exclusive Z-Star XV yellow balls, just a mix of Z-Star yellow.

Rather than buy them new, I just ordered the box of 15 Chrome Softs on Amazon. And with this month's AMEX rewards points, it was just $6.00. :)

I'll be sure to share my impressions when I play them.

54 holes, same ball. Still playable.

I liked these and still have a sleeve left, but I keep going back to the SR2. For me, the CS is definitely a contender (and it's cheaper at the store), but getting a box of SR2 online for the same price or less and I still think it's the better ball.

Alternated between the Cally Soft and Z-Star XV today. Performance wise, very comparable balls. Pace dictated that I couldn't hit them head to head but I couldn't discern any noticeable difference in distance. Driver swing was on today, I'm typically 110-115 mph, maybe lower this early in the season. Despite their broadly varying compressions, both worked well with my hardest swings.

I found the CS to offer the slightly flatter ball flight though, a welcomed sight as I usually launch high. Spin appeared similar too as both checked nicely.

But feel is of course very different. The XV feels a little heavier off driver, FW and hybrids and clickier off irons. On chips and putts, it's always felt hard to me. Whereas the CS is, well... soft. But not distractingly so. Still very obvious that I'm striking a golf ball rather than some mush practice pellet.

It's with chips and putts where it wins for me. Although overall performance was quite similar, I seemed a bit more sure of myself over short pitches and chips.

Today was windy, forecasted as 12-15 mph wind, 20-25 mph gusts. Plus the course (Patriot Hills, Stony Point NY) has many elevated tees exposed to the wind. On the windiest holes, I'd have to give the edge to the CS also. The XV is a good wind ball but the CS seemed less affected. Really impressed there because the XV's performance off the tee, particularly into the wind, has been a big factor for me.

Very impressive. I'll continue to work the CS in as I run through my remaining XV's. If today proves to be the norm though, I'll be switching. Not a knockout by any means, but enough of an improvement to perhaps spark change.

Went to PGA Superstore yesterday and tested some drivers. After testing a Callaway driver, the sales rep gave me a 2ball sleeve of these...saying it was Callaway Week. I'm going to put them in play this weekend.

Got a couple sleeves of these yesterday, can't wait to put them through the paces.

I have played this ball for the last month. I fell in love with it the first few times out when I was outdriving my fellow golfers by about 10 yards. I also find that the ball has a lot of spin around the greens that I like.

After experimenting with this ball for the last month I am heading back to my beloved PROV1. Reason....I don't think any ball feels as good on the putting green as a ProV1. The feel off of the milled face of a Scotty Cameron with a ProV1 just can't be beat for me. My distance control is right back on again. Made 2 nice putts for birdies last night in our men's 9 hole league.

The other thing about the Chrome soft is it felt like it died on me during the round. Hard to explain the feeling but the ball just felt like it lost it's pop! I never get the feeling with a ProV1. Have played many rounds with the same ball and it seems to last forever. I didn't get this feeling with the Chrome soft.

This is just my feelings on the ball and I 'm sure 90% of it is just in my head, but, I thought I would just throw it out there!!!

Joe

Callaway continue to shine! I sent them an email telling them I'd played their product for years etc and that I'd like to try their new ball but it wasn't available at the time here in NZ. Weeks went by and then a surprise parcel turned up yesterday, a sleeve of chrome soft balls. I'm so impressed and have to say I never truly expected free balls but had to try, lol.
Anyway, I now have some and will be putting them in play this weekend. From the small time putting on the carpet and bouncing the ball on a wedge I'm curious to see how they'll play. They feel crazy soft.

Callaway continue to shine! I sent them an email telling them I'd played their product for years etc and that I'd like to try their new ball but it wasn't available at the time here in NZ. Weeks went by and then a surprise parcel turned up yesterday, a sleeve of chrome soft balls. I'm so impressed and have to say I never truly expected free balls but had to try, lol.
Anyway, I now have some and will be putting them in play this weekend. From the small time putting on the carpet and bouncing the ball on a wedge I'm curious to see how they'll play. They feel crazy soft.
Did you ever play a Balata? Now combine that with the distance balls from today. And a much tougher skin.

I played balata balls a lot as a kid learning the game in the early 90's. I keep hearing this ball feels like they did and I agree, curious to see it on the course, especially around the green.

Have a dozen just sitting in the garage. I think this needs to change sometime soon.

Picked up a dozen of these today. Looking forward to seeing how they compare to the e5s and the Z-Stars, which have been a pleasant surprise for me.

I would love to see some machine test and see how the chrone softs compare against the pro v1 at 100 mph SS in order to see if the fast core is real or marketing.

I would love to see some machine test and see how the chrone softs compare against the pro v1 at 100 mph SS in order to see if the fast core is real or marketing.

They worked for Phil

Played the ball the other day. I really liked it a lot. It felt great off all clubs. When I connected the ball really jumped off the club. With the scoring clubs the spin was solid on the green, the balls checked up. I have new gamer ball

Played this yesterday for the first time. I have been playing the new e6 so far this year. It spins more on partial shots, had some pitches that came up way short because I am used to the bump and run of the e6. I lost a few off to the tee to left and the right yesterday but I'm pretty sure that was a bad swing. Putting sounds a bit different then the e6. Not sure if I am going to keep playing these or the e6 this year. I can't say I am a fan of the low compression feeling off the cast clubs I am playing this year(sldr)

Played this yesterday for the first time. I have been playing the new e6 so far this year. It spins more on partial shots, had some pitches that came up way short because I am used to the bump and run of the e6. I lost a few off to the tee to left and the right yesterday but I'm pretty sure that was a bad swing. Putting sounds a bit different then the e6. Not sure if I am going to keep playing these or the e6 this year. I can't say I am a fan of the low compression feeling off the cast clubs I am playing this year(sldr)
E6 are pretty low compression too fwiw

I know, it is one of the things I do not like as much about it. That is why I am not sure if I will keep playing either ball.

Took some paint off one today. Still unsure if this ball is the one for the rest of the season. It hasn't quite spung as expected. uploadfromtaptalk1430708183725.jpg

I had one of these split on me today. First one I have seen do that. I wondered why my shot sounded a little weird then when I got to it I seen the crack.

I had one of these split on me today. First one I have seen do that. I wondered why my shot sounded a little weird then when I got to it I seen the crack.

That's so weird, got a picture?

Playing in warmer drier weather was an incredible experience with the ChromeSoft. I already loved it off irons and wedges but it showed up for me off the driver. By that I mean I had experienced a slight (5-10 yards) decrease in yardage with ChromeSoft Vs other tour balls the driver. Maybe it just needed an XR driver, but I pounded the ball all weekend (it went long in my fairway or the next lol).

Also, after much serious discussion and real life testing (and as other THPers, Hashtag and ScottyG can attest to) the ChromeSoft is by FAR, the most durable tour ball in this world. 5 hard shots the one tree followed by some other tree experiences with nothing but green grass stains to show proved that lol.

Finally put the Chrome Softs in play on Saturday. Performed very well off all clubs, even had a chip check up for me. Still have 2 from the sleeve perfectly playable - durability seems pretty good, but several wedge shots finally marked up the cover on one.

Will definitely play these next time out as well.

Back