Swing Speed Radar

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the USGA, a scratch golfer is defined as "a player who can play to a Course Handicap of zero on any and all rated golf courses. A male scratch golfer, for rating purposes, can hit tee shots an average of 250 yards and can reach a 470-yard hole in two shots at sea level. A female scratch golfer, for rating purposes, can hit tee shots an average of 210 yards and can reach a 400-yard hole in two shots at sea level."

So what you say isn't exactly accurate, but who am I to question someone with such a high swing speed... lol What they are saying is generally a scratch golfer can average 250 yards off the tee and reach 470 yard par 4's in 2 because that is what it would take in order to consistently play to the course handicap of zero. Thanks for the laughs if this is all a big joke, if this is your real personality, then I feel sorry for anyone who has to deal with you on a daily basis... :wtf:

as I said, you can't play scratch unless you can do 250 yard drives and that means 100MPH swing speed with a solid strike

sure you need skill in many areas, but you won't find legit male scratch players swinging 90mph

show me one male scratch golfer swinging 90mph, I'll show you a liar

so IF you want to get into that not so exclusive club of playing scratch (it's not really that big of a deal IMO and I've played at scratch since early 80's) you can't get into the club unless you have 100MPH

then you need ball compression or solid strikes, a short game, course management, etc

it takes lots of time playing and practicing to get to scratch but if you can't swing the broom 100mph YOU WILL NEVER GET THERE

you can have swing faults and get there, you can be a bad putter and hit laser irons, you can miss drivers some, scratch means you have flaws and are not perfect

when ELITE golfers are way better than scratch, SCRATCH IS NO BIG DEAL, sure you are good at many things but not really a master of any, masters in golf are deep plus golfers, scratch is just a guy who can swing AT LEAST 100MPH and has some basic skill, he needs lots of work, he may need major work on the most valuable 6 inches in golf BETWEEN THE EARS, he may need to fix some flaws or learn more of the short game, scratch golf is NOT a big deal, it's a FLAWED GAME

what did Hogan say, when a guy can make 18 birdies THEY PLAYED PERFECT GOLF

scratch is no big deal

And for what it is worth, I have the swing speed to be a scratch golfer, I just don't have the game. I can outdrive a lot of people who would beat me badly. My bunker play and my up and down percentage is abysmal. And even when I do swing the club fast it doesn't always go in the direction I want it to. SS increase wont help me near as much as improving the rest of my game.

Honest question. Is your purpose here to generate discussion or to drive traffic to your website?

Quoting myself in case it was missed.

And for what it is worth, I have the swing speed to be a scratch golfer, I just don't have the game. I can outdrive a lot of people who would beat me badly. My bunker play and my up and down percentage is abysmal. And even when I do swing the club fast it doesn't always go in the direction I want it to. SS increase wont help me near as much as improving the rest of my game.

great you swing the broom 100+ you have the most important thing to get to scratch, many will never have 100+ mph s/s

now some work on other areas and YOU CAN BE SCRATCH

what I'm saying and what most here are missing, IF you said you swing 90mph and want to play scratch well you can't UNLESS you jump s/s to 100mph

you can pure each shot at 90mph s/s and YOU WILL NEVER BE SCRATCH, NEVER

see the POINT, 100+ is the threshold of the minimum SKILL you need to begin to THINK about scratch

it's NOT all there is, but you can't play scratch unless you have enough s/s, period

swinging 100mph is no big deal, but you can't play scratch as the USGA rates it without it

so yeah, if you can't hit triple digits YOU WILL NEVER BE SCRATCH

now you can swing 150mph and not break 100

but if you seriously want to be scratch, if you can't break 100mph you will never be a legit scratch golfer

no one is driving a ball over 250 yards without high 90's and pretty much 100mph s/s consistently

the USGA defines a scratch golfer as three things

1. driver 250+ yards
2. ability to reach 450 yard holes in 2 strokes consistently
3. ability to shoot par rating on a course at least 20% of the time and not much over it most of the other rounds

100MPH is the singular thing all scratch golfers have in common, maybe it's 97 to 102 mph, but usually they're right around 100mph

you can't do what the USGA demands at 90MPH or 95MPH

95mph can be a solid low single digit capper

90mph maybe high single digits

s/s is the common thing that all good golfers have

90mph is average of high single digit cappers
95 is average s/s of low single
100 mph is average s/s of scratch golfers

are there exceptions? sure not many the numbers don't lie, you need decent s/s to be scratch period

Actually my big thing is IMPACT SWING, which gives most beginners instant 100MPH s/s on a young body.

IMPACT SWING = proper weight shift at impact, every pro has an impact swing, that means they have rotated on a full swing at least 30 degrees toward the target at impact and most amateurs are back foot swingers with square hips at impact, so that one move with a young body is usually 100mph+ by itself

now when you're old and fat and can't move like a young athlete, it's way harder to get to 100mph

Anyway, some here are incorrect IMO saying s/s means nothing, yet, s/s of 100mph for a male is the first building block of a skilled player, it's the common thing skilled players all have in common

Most skilled players probably swing 105 to 115 mph, a few will be 120+ mph, so again, s/s over 100 is the common thing skilled players have in common

Now some may thing a young guy swinging 90mph who is 8 handicap is 'skilled', he's not, he stinks compared to a scratch golfer and that 90mph is why HE WILL NEVER BE SCRATCH unless he jumps to the 100mph range on his s/s

There's a huge difference between having a fast swing speed and being a skilled golfer... I've played with many guys who swing over 100mph, but can't hit a wedge close or make a putt... It's true the truly elite (pros) have fast 110+ swing speeds, but that's pretty much required with how long the courses they play are now. Most people play golf for enjoyment and that's why they have so many different sets of tees. So everyone can play a distance that fits their game (swing speed as you would argue) and have a good time. There's nothing wrong with playing a different set of tees from someone who hits the ball a shorter distance than you. That just evens it up and truly shows who has the best skill. Where you said you were mad because the guy played from a shorter set of tees and beat you, he was the better player that day. Of course you beat him when you played the same tees. You probably hit the ball 50+ yards farther than he does off the tee. It doesn't mean you are always a better golfer than him or more skilled than him, it just means you hit the ball farther so you have a pitch left into a par 4 when he has a 7 iron, etc. It's a lot easier to score that way and the reason you should play from tees farther back than him to make it more even.

Highest I've hit is 99.9 mph.
401df636766eef51436532a136eb8eef.jpg

No female pro ever MADE THE CUT at a PGA event

Annika tried once and failed and Wie tried a few times and failed

I guess Babe Zaharias would have to disagree with you there

I played as low as a scratch handicap (my best round was -2 on a 74 rating course - rarely shot higher than 75 then) back in the late 90s when I was in college and had plenty of time to play and practice. Over the last 15 years I've been lucky to play once or twice a month, but I have a good time while playing and am a high single digit handicap. Occasionally, I'll shoot in the low to mid 70s, but I'll also shoot in the 80s now. I have no idea what my swing speed used to be (never hit on a launch monitor back then), but I didn't hit it much further (if any) than I do now with my 96-98mph swing speed. To play scratch golf, you have to be a consistently good ball striker and a good putter, period. I think I see what you are trying to get at, you need the swing speed to get enough distance to play at scratch on longer courses/holes, but I think you are oversimplifying it. Swing speed isn't everything that leads to ball speed, which along with launch angle is what leads to hitting the ball a certain distance. You are assuming you are making perfect contact everytime you swing the club, and that's just not true as even the best pros don't do that.

I guess Babe Zaharias would have to disagree with you there

first cut and missed the old 2nd cut the ancient tour had

if babe showed up today she would fail the testosterone test IMO

had to be a man

haha

had to be a man

haha

She made both cuts number of tournaments.

I played as low as a scratch handicap (my best round was -2 on a 74 rating course - rarely shot higher than 75 then) back in the late 90s when I was in college and had plenty of time to play and practice. Over the last 15 years I've been lucky to play once or twice a month, but I have a good time while playing and am a high single digit handicap. Occasionally, I'll shoot in the low to mid 70s, but I'll also shoot in the 80s now. I have no idea what my swing speed used to be (never hit on a launch monitor back then), but I didn't hit it much further (if any) than I do now with my 96-98mph swing speed. To play scratch golf, you have to be a consistently good ball striker and a good putter, period. I think I see what you are trying to get at, you need the swing speed to get enough distance to play at scratch on longer courses/holes, but I think you are oversimplifying it. Swing speed isn't everything that leads to ball speed, which along with launch angle is what leads to hitting the ball a certain distance. You are assuming you are making perfect contact everytime you swing the club, and that's just not true as even the best pros don't do that.

nope, what I'm saying is without an entry level of s/s YOU CANNOT PLAY TO A TRUE SCRATCH LEVEL

sure it's way more than great ball striking and I've seen some guys that sucked at putting and had plus cap's

so again the only thing every legit scratch golfer has is one thing

enough s/s to be able to hit 250yards MINIMUM

now even at 100mph you usually won't average 250 yds unless you are a GREAT ball striker, so 105 is probably where most scratch golfers begin, but a great ball striker can be scratch with ONLY 100 mph

again 100 MPH is a cut off IMO and to do what the USGA expects to be hitting 250+ drives pretty much EVERY HOLE you would need 105 or 110 with the striking ability of most scratch golfers

if you took all the scratch golfers almost everyone would be 98+ with 90% probably 105+

so 100 range is MINIMUM but needs GREAT compression almost every shot

105 and 110 your ball striking can be off some and you still can scrape it around sratch with a stellar short game

had to be a man

haha

"She also played in three men's PGA Tour events in 1945, making all three cuts at the Los Angeles, Phoenix, and Tucson Opens"

Damn good player.

nope, what I'm saying is without an entry level of s/s YOU CANNOT PLAY TO A TRUE SCRATCH LEVEL

sure it's way more than great ball striking and I've seen some guys that sucked at putting and had plus cap's

so again the only thing every legit scratch golfer has is one thing

enough s/s to be able to hit 250yards MINIMUM

now even at 100mph you usually won't average 250 yds unless you are a GREAT ball striker, so 105 is probably where most scratch golfers begin, but a great ball striker can be scratch with ONLY 100 mph

again 100 MPH is a cut off IMO and to do what the USGA expects to be hitting 250+ drives pretty much EVERY HOLE you would need 105 or 110 with the striking ability of most scratch golfers

if you took all the scratch golfers almost everyone would be 98+ with 90% probably 105+

so 100 range is MINIMUM but needs GREAT compression almost every shot

105 and 110 your ball striking can be off some and you still can scrape it around sratch with a stellar short game

You speak in absolutes as if you have some sort of documentation or data to back up your claims. Can we see them?

"She also played in three men's PGA Tour events in 1945, making all three cuts at the Los Angeles, Phoenix, and Tucson Opens"

Damn good player.

of course she did

most of the MEN were in WWII in 1945

haha

Do you by chance have millions, live in Florida, and access to hot women at all times? I think I know you.

Do you by chance have millions, live in Florida, and access to hot women at all times? I think I know you.

if so, friend request sent

And getting close to a door...IP is strange too.

Noooooo. Think of the children.

You speak in absolutes as if you have some sort of documentation or data to back up your claims. Can we see them?

I know numbers and numbers don't lie

outside of ABILITY to post low scores, the USGA explains SCRATCH needs

250 yard driver
470 yard two shots (used to be 450)

now with old tech you had to be 105mph s/s to get 250 out of balata and persimmon, I KNOW I played with that years ago

today, 100mph tweaked with good numbers on a well struck shots you can get 250/260 range max out of 100mph ON AVERAGE

I'm not talking downwind or high altitudes, the USGA explains SEA LEVEL 250 and reach 470 in two shots

do you understand that at 100MPH s/s a driver at sea level is barely 250 yards and a 3W is under 220

so what are you hitting to hit 470 in two at sea level

yet all these people THINK you can play scratch with less than 100MPH s/s

you can't

250 drive and 220 3W is 102MPH and not missing the bill at all

250 drive and 220 3W is 110 MPH and some mishits

so how does a guy swinging 95mph reach 470 at SEA LEVEL with a mishit?

HE CAN'T

Can he reach it with two perfectly struck shots?

NOT WITHOUT WIND

Scratch golfers are known they get analyzed and their numbers are 100+ is THE START of when a person can do the 250/470 yard shots the USGA thinks they need to do

the USGA rates courses on many factors and one of them is distance so they expect distance to be a scratch golfer

now there's handicaps that don't travel, a slow swinger with game on a hard slope short course learns to scrape par rounds out of his local course

put that guy on another course with distance, HE CANNOT SHOOT PAR

100MPH does not equal scratch

but 100MPH plus other things does

no 100MPH you won't be a legit scratch golfer, PERIOD

what does it matter? Scratch golfers aren't the good. We've established that.

I just read all 8 pages of this! :surrender:

I know numbers and numbers don't lie

outside of ABILITY to post low scores, the USGA explains SCRATCH needs

250 yard driver
470 yard two shots (used to be 450)

now with old tech you had to be 105mph s/s to get 250 out of balata and persimmon, I KNOW I played with that years ago

today, 100mph tweaked with good numbers on a well struck shots you can get 250/260 range max out of 100mph ON AVERAGE

I'm not talking downwind or high altitudes, the USGA explains SEA LEVEL 250 and reach 470 in two shots

do you understand that at 100MPH s/s a driver at sea level is barely 250 yards and a 3W is under 220

so what are you hitting to hit 470 in two at sea level

yet all these people THINK you can play scratch with less than 100MPH s/s

you can't

250 drive and 220 3W is 102MPH and not missing the bill at all

250 drive and 220 3W is 110 MPH and some mishits

so how does a guy swinging 95mph reach 470 at SEA LEVEL with a mishit?

HE CAN'T

Can he reach it with two perfectly struck shots?

NOT WITHOUT WIND

Scratch golfers are known they get analyzed and their numbers are 100+ is THE START of when a person can do the 250/470 yard shots the USGA thinks they need to do

the USGA rates courses on many factors and one of them is distance so they expect distance to be a scratch golfer

now there's handicaps that don't travel, a slow swinger with game on a hard slope short course learns to scrape par rounds out of his local course

put that guy on another course with distance, HE CANNOT SHOOT PAR

100MPH does not equal scratch

but 100MPH plus other things does

no 100MPH you won't be a legit scratch golfer, PERIOD

Oh, so you can see my posts. Cares to respond to the question I asked you multiple times now?

And a Black AMex that allows him to live the AWESOME lifestyle?? #FatStacks

Do you have all this stuff pre-typed and saved? If not, I must admit I'm quite impressed at the rate at which you can spit this stuff out across two threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back