Tom Brady Suspended Four Games

I believe he was suspended for not fully cooperating with the investigation ... but it boils down to the fact that there is no investigation if there is no cheating. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

I disagree. The league had absolutely zero evidence so but didnt wanted to make an example so laid down the hammer. An interesting point of view I heard from a from former player this morning was that the league is drumming up whatever they can to keep the eye off the pending Concussion lawsuit they are embroiled in. Not saying its the truth, but thought it was an interesting take from a former player.

I'm don't think the 4 games suspension will stick, but he will sit some for sure. You can't tell me that a Professional (especially a QB) doesn't know, or can't tell that the equipment he's using isn't correct. He knew, and he didn't say anything. He's also not said (so far) that he didn't know. Which, is just as telling for me.

I'm don't think the 4 games suspension will stick, but he will sit some for sure. You can't tell me that a Professional (especially a QB) doesn't know, or can't tell that the equipment he's using isn't correct. He knew, and he didn't say anything. He's also not said (so far) that he didn't know. Which, is just as telling for me.

On January 22nd before the Super Bowl when this all came out, he was interviewed and said he had no knowledge of the balls being tampered with.

one thing I didn't realize and not sure i've seen mentioned here, is that it wasn't just Brady not providing his phone, emails and texts, which you can almost kind of justify (though if my employer wants access to my phone records because they think i broke a covenant with them, and i tell them to f'off...they can certainly fire me over it).

But in addition, the Patriots (not McNally himself) denied access to a follow up with Jim McNally, which apparently they wanted to do after coming across discrepancies in his testimony versus what they got off the text messages. What possibly can be the justification of that? He's a part time lackey and if his time is requested then give it. No reason to say no whatsoever. Just a guess...but that probably had a lot to do with with the harsh team penalty. I'm sure Kraft grandstanding and demanding an apology in advance back in February didn't help either.

I wholeheartedly agree the punishment doesn't fit the crime...but at a certain point you have to say enough is enough. No team or player is above the league. Kraft and Brady can disappear tomorrow and the NFL will be the same tomorrow as it was yesterday.

I think the punishment was a little lenient - especially if he can appeal it - it will most likely IMO be reduced to 2 games which is essentially a slap on the wrist for the misconduct of Tom "golden boy" Brady....

I am a die-hard Jets fan and despise Brady....his legacy will now always carry the stigma that he cheated in his last 2 SB wins (Spygate and Deflategate)....

On January 22nd before the Super Bowl when this all came out, he was interviewed and said he had no knowledge of the balls being tampered with.

And the investigation said he was lying

Without any evidence. The investigation made assumptions and assertions but used language that never actually said here are the facts, he is lying.

Thank you all for an entertaining morning.

Without any evidence. The investigation made assumptions and assertions but used language that never actually said here are the facts, he is lying.
Which is fine, it's not a court of law, it met the criteria the league uses for discipline.

It did? Where was that in the documents, I ask genuinely. He was not punished for that.

Loss of a 1st round pick is a biggie though

It means less with free agency now a days. How many first rounders end up as busts in the nfl anyway?

It did? Where was that in the documents, I ask genuinely. He was not punished for that.
Wasn't that the statements that have been mocked for the language used? It was more probable than not that he knew? So according to the league and report he knew.

Wasn't that the statements that have been mocked for the language used? It was more probable than not that he knew? So according to the league and report he knew.
It was that and the team being reluctant to give eveidence and grandstanding saying we want an appology that got them this. This isn't a court of law, with the leauge you can be suspended just for no complying to requests for evidence. So they get what they get. They also mentioned that the previous issues with the leauge lead them to punsih them harder because they have a history of infractions.

The report was inconclusive but leaned toward hanging the Pats and Brady. If the nfl does not act, they loose face. people will draw their own conclusion and this too will die out. He's a first ballot HOF and they will always be one of the great NFL teams in history

They were talking about this on ESPN Radio shortly after the report was released and a league official was being interviewed. Apparently they used the same rules that would be used in court, basically proving beyond a reasonable doubt that he knew. In court that's all it takes, beyond a reasonable doubt. In most cases it does not take a "this is, without a doubt, what happened."

So he my not be lying, he could be lying...who knows. But apparently the league feels he lied.

Its funny listening and reading reports all over the internet. Before the punishment the Patriots were preparing for a lengthy suspension of Brady, some reporters thought it would be a long suspension, but now that its here there are all kinds of mixed feelings. Some say its too much (I'm kinda I this boat), some say its too little. This whole story is blown out of proportion because of the media. They need an NFL story to get ratings because the NFL is the most popular sport and its the offseason. This is a minor incident that has been made a huge deal because of the Patriots reputation. Its annoying to be quite honest. Just gives Pats fans more to rant about if/when they beat the Colts again.

I hope the appeal comes and goes quickly and we can all get over this because I'm ready to actually read up on some good NFL news as the season approaches to see how the rookies are doing and what kind of potential some teams have this year rather than dwelling on the he said/she said bullcrap of this whole DeflateGate stuff.

I hate the Patriots, and even I think this is ridiculous. NFL is becoming a freaking joke.

They were talking about this on ESPN Radio shortly after the report was released and a league official was being interviewed. Apparently they used the same rules that would be used in court, basically proving beyond a reasonable doubt that he knew. In court that's all it takes, beyond a reasonable doubt. In most cases it does not take a "this is, without a doubt, what happened."

So he my not be lying, he could be lying...who knows. But apparently the league feels he lied.

Its funny listening and reading reports all over the internet. Before the punishment the Patriots were preparing for a lengthy suspension of Brady, some reporters thought it would be a long suspension, but now that its here there are all kinds of mixed feelings. Some say its too much (I'm kinda I this boat), some say its too little. This whole story is blown out of proportion because of the media. They need an NFL story to get ratings because the NFL is the most popular sport and its the offseason. This is a minor incident that has been made a huge deal because of the Patriots reputation. Its annoying to be quite honest. Just gives Pats fans more to rant about if/when they beat the Colts again.

I hope the appeal comes and goes quickly and we can all get over this because I'm ready to actually read up on some good NFL news as the season approaches to see how the rookies are doing and what kind of potential some teams have this year rather than dwelling on the he said/she said bullcrap of this whole DeflateGate stuff.
I think it was closer to the civil court standard of preponderance of evidence.

I just read Troy Vincent's letter to the Patriots because they were talking about it on the radio. It does seem that the penalty was not just based on the deflation of footballs. An assumption is that all these penalties are for just deflating footballs. He makes it pretty clear they took into account the SpyGate offense and considered that a previous offense, and they took into account that Brady and the Pats organization, as well as Brady, did not cooperate during the investigation, therefore appearing to try and cover it up. He even clearly says Belichek does not appear to be involved at all, nor is anyone else at the top of the organization. I do think that the loss of draft picks and the big fine is not justifiable based on the fact that management was not involved. I bet we see the fine significantly reduced and the draft penalty somehow reduced as well.

Since Brady loses 4 game checks to the Pats end up making money on this deal (i.e., game checks x4 > 1M penalty)?

Guys with talent will ALWAYS find their way back to the game. The list is endless.

Mercury Morris never found his way back to the game. Just saying.

Mercury Morris never found his way back to the game. Just saying.

By the time he was able, the talent was not there. Similar cases throughout the last decade as Morris and look at them on the field.

This feels weird. I agree with JB on a football take. This feels...foreign.

Hehe

35443ddef5d9d872d9f41f225a27a4be.jpg

Back