Had my daughter's birthday party today, even though her actual birthday isn't for a few weeks. We wanted to have it right at the end of school so more of her friends from class would come. 1 out of 20 came... Still had a decent group with cousins, family friend's kids, and a couple from dance class. Had it at her gymnastics place and they all had a blast. Ton of fun watching them all. My daughter became better friends with a girl from dance class too; that was really cool to watch. All around great time.

Had my daughter's birthday party today, even though her actual birthday isn't for a few weeks. We wanted to have it right at the end of school so more of her friends from class would come. 1 out of 20 came... Still had a decent group with cousins, family friend's kids, and a couple from dance class. Had it at her gymnastics place and they all had a blast. Ton of fun watching them all. My daughter became better friends with a girl from dance class too; that was really cool to watch. All around great time.

We've seen that happen a good bit with kids from my boys school as well. We've made it a point to take the first step and go to a couple of their parties, but we will see if they reciprocate.

We've seen that happen a good bit with kids from my boys school as well. We've made it a point to take the first step and go to a couple of their parties, but we will see if they reciprocate.
Hopefully they do. Our daughter has only been invited to one party from school and she went. It's a little bit of a shame to me. They're great experiences for the kids to have.

For over three hours now we've been fighting to get our almost four year old son to stay in bed. Nothing has worked, not even FaceTime with the grandparents. I'm starting to think chloroform may be our only hope. We should have been asleep an hour ago but he won't stay down. It's days like these that make me with we'd never had a kid.

Some photos of my little man from the past couple of weeks. At the beach
5fd128ad3753632a883ff98cfafe57c6.jpg
03b81497eec0dbca44af55ae44cc422b.jpg
123e748fdd351b652629c55533f4ee53.jpg
d09b4b67dc5d98ddc899a4f6656bd817.jpg
05fafc550305da78c6dd9964008ae20f.jpg
. At the park
d11b786a2084ff9b82f0125940972e48.jpg
96bb65514ca249f0c3deea1c42b81711.jpg
5fb693e2263a790fec572f1b083197ce.jpg
fdbb6a61288295fbc107197588fcc0fe.jpg
80cb1274b06bb4cd0697e75fd9a65d4c.jpg
. More from the beach
3ce2b61aad8b4f9a0036a03a84709e60.jpg
ab8e8a1e9b00794f0cab0cac69c9c71b.jpg
2e1fda6cca8532175e4a8ccf1142ead8.jpg
c0ecd6f7ae210e110e5946dad8f28e61.jpg
391941349cd2aba535c9a53a0ee65595.jpg
7ddb062bf1dbe571964e44aa1da6fd0a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twins are 5 months old today. Been a crazy ride to say the least they are getting big and are so much more active. Sleeping is going well most time they sleep from 8 till 6 or so. So funny about the sleeping we try a routine one night then try it exactly the same way the next night with different results haha

Just trying to enjoy this crazy ride

cfd8b39d72a10c7a423c21f77268852e.jpg

959063cef4fc7d233b578c7de8b73d76.jpg

Twins are 5 months old today. Been a crazy ride to say the least they are getting big and are so much more active. Sleeping is going well most time they sleep from 8 till 6 or so. So funny about the sleeping we try a routine one night then try it exactly the same way the next night with different results haha

Just trying to enjoy this crazy ride

cfd8b39d72a10c7a423c21f77268852e.jpg

959063cef4fc7d233b578c7de8b73d76.jpg

Mine are 5 years old now, and all I can promise is it gets easier :)

Mine are 5 years old now, and all I can promise is it gets easier :)
Haha thanks man. It is good to hear that it gets easier

For over three hours now we've been fighting to get our almost four year old son to stay in bed. Nothing has worked, not even FaceTime with the grandparents. I'm starting to think chloroform may be our only hope. We should have been asleep an hour ago but he won't stay down. It's days like these that make me with we'd never had a kid.

Been there. Not sure what to tell you. Nights like those we've learn to just ignore our son. He eventually gets the hint and will go back to bed and yell for us to come cover him up.

I feel terrible for my oldest. She has struggled off and on with math this year and during her final week tomorrow she is having to take a timed multiplication and division test.

Normally I wouldnt have a problem except its 120+ problems in 4 minutes which is 1 every 2 seconds, which I know a TON of adults that cant do them that fast.

and then the tougher division she only get 3.5 minutes, this just isnt going to end well and I feel awful

I feel terrible for my oldest. She has struggled off and on with math this year and during her final week tomorrow she is having to take a timed multiplication and division test.

Normally I wouldnt have a problem except its 120+ problems in 4 minutes which is 1 every 2 seconds, which I know a TON of adults that cant do them that fast.

and then the tougher division she only get 3.5 minutes, this just isnt going to end well and I feel awful
I'm assuming it is expected that they won't finish? Hell for me, it would take longer than that just to write the answers even if they were given to me.

I'm assuming it is expected that they won't finish? Hell for me, it would take longer than that just to write the answers even if they were given to me.

no clue but she is expected to get a minimum of 90% correct

The teacher told me she had 3 seconds per problem so we practiced at 6 minutes and she got 125/127 a few times and now she has 2 fewer minutes and cant come close to finishing

That's ridiculous dude, and doesn't seem at all realistic.

no clue but she is expected to get a minimum of 90% correct

The teacher told me she had 3 seconds per problem so we practiced at 6 minutes and she got 125/127 a few times and now she has 2 fewer minutes and cant come close to finishing

What purpose does a test like this serve? Pure silliness IMHO.

and the teacher was wrong, its 6 MIN for multplication and 5.5 for Division.

she will be fine on multiplication as last night at 6 she was 98-99%

division will be tough, at the 3.5M she was only 60% so hopefully the 2 extra m
inutes can get her into the 80s

and the speed serves 0 purpose

A couple pics of my little dude from Memorial Day beach trip and a cookout today.

Stupidest test ever. Sorry.

I dont understand the purpose of a test like that. At 2-3 seconds per problem that is memorization not actually figuring out the problem. So this is a test of memory and not math at this point.

At the end of Kindergarten, my oldest had a similar timed test for addition/subtraction. With his ADD, there is no way he can stay purely focused for something like that, even if it did serve any purpose at all.

As he was practicing, I took it myself, and could just barely beat the clock, as it was the writing that was took so long. I don't question much about the current education techniques, but I would love to hear some explanation about why this is important.

At the end of Kindergarten, my oldest had a similar timed test for addition/subtraction. With his ADD, there is no way he can stay purely focused for something like that, even if it did serve any purpose at all.

As he was practicing, I took it myself, and could just barely beat the clock, as it was the writing that was took so long. I don't question much about the current education techniques, but I would love to hear some explanation about why this is important.

Part of Zach's IEP for kindergarten focused on what's really important for him to know. For things like learning his sight words, the important part was being able to read them. He struggles with the fine motor skills still for writing (though he has gotten a ton better) so they decided that as long as he can read the words and recite them, then he passes. While I am happy that they will be flexible for him, I do wish that it wouldn't take an autism diagnosis for people to think outside of the box.

We are looking heavily into Montessori type schools. Have heard good things about them, and we have friends who have kids that thrive there. There are three in our city (2 private, 1 public). The public one you need to enroll them in 3K or the chances of getting them in at 5K is almost impossible ... the rat race starts early in life.

We are looking heavily into Montessori type schools. Have heard this things about them. There are three in our city (2 private, 1 public). The public one you need to enroll them in 3K or the chances of getting them in at 5K is almost impossible ... the rat race starts early in life.

We went private, though there weren't any issues like that to deal with thankfully.

When I look at the money I spend, I tend to cringe. When I look at the results, I am pleased. It's a big sacrifice, but I feel that it's worth it. I think in our case (can't generalize), one of the other huge benefits is a sense of community/family within the school. There are a lot of social things that the family can be a part of and on top of paying tuition, parents are expected to devote X number of hours volunteering at the school. It's encouraged me to be involved and I have found that quite rewarding.

We went private, though there weren't any issues like that to deal with thankfully.

When I look at the money I spend, I tend to cringe. When I look at the results, I am pleased. It's a big sacrifice, but I feel that it's worth it. I think in our case (can't generalize), one of the other huge benefits is a sense of community/family within the school. There are a lot of social things that the family can be a part of and on top of paying tuition, parents are expected to devote X number of hours volunteering at the school. It's encouraged me to be involved and I have found that quite rewarding.

Yeah, the price makes me cry, but the greatest gift I can give my child is a great education. If that means I need to shell out some dough, so be it. The best high school programs here are public so it's only for eight years. Hey, we get a break before college ... lol

Yeah, the price makes me cry, but the greatest gift I can give my child is a great education. If that means I need to shell out some dough, so be it. The best high school programs here are public so it's only for eight years. Hey, we get a break before college ... lol

The only way my kid goes to school in CMS here in Charlotte is either Magnet, Montessori, or public Charter. I will find a way to go private if need be because I will not let my kid have a bad education experience.

Parenting Thread

This has been our experience, too.

Last edited:
Back