2015 US Open Contest & Official Thread - Amazing Cobra PUMA Prizes

It just came on FOX, hold on folks this should be a great day!
I'm as excited as I've been for a round in a long time. No idea what we will see.

Why the surprise that they would end with a Par 5? Mike Davis was saying before the tournament that there could be a chance for someone to eagle the 18th to win.

But don't alot of risk rewards effectively change par?

Driving a green turns it into a par 3 right? Reaching a par 5 in two turns it into a par 4? If one option makes either of those possible while the other doesn't does the same.

But it sounds like it's take the risk or have no shot at par, which is way more annoying. Another setup issue maybe?

Your last line nailed it. 280 carry or have virtually no chance at par is rough.
They combat that with having 2 holes to drive possibly, however make up for it by putting Drew Carry and Bob Barker on each 9 and their movable Plinko Board.

I want hard. I want the toughest test. Its the US Open after all. However the US Open has always been about accuracy and demand. Forced carries is not the norm in my opinion.

And webbs locker today is "Webb street journal" hahahaha

Saturday was " world wide Webb". Whoever is doing it, they're fantastic.

Phil drove #12 to about 8 feet.

Your last line nailed it. 280 carry or have virtually no chance at par is rough.
They combat that with having 2 holes to drive possibly, however make up for it by putting Drew Carry and Bob Barker on each 9 and their movable Plinko Board.

I want hard. I want the toughest test. Its the US Open after all. However the US Open has always been about accuracy and demand. Forced carries is not the norm in my opinion.
If the exact same hole played as a 5 do we have the same complaints? I do know having no shot at par is awful mentally as an amateur.

I think the setup went a bit overboard yesterday afternoon, but outside of that I have thought the course has been excellent... Outside of the greens. Even that has been a bit over blown imo.

Nm reading comprehension fail.

I agree. I like the idea that the US Open is only hard when you don't play with a high degree of accuracy off the tee and around the greens. It's what made Pinehurst interesting to me last year. I think this US Open has been about distance and getting lucky on the greens/fairways.

If the exact same hole played as a 5 do we have the same complaints? I do know having no shot at par is awful mentally as an amateur.

I think the setup went a bit overboard yesterday afternoon, but outside of that I have thought the course has been excellent... Outside of the greens. Even that has been a bit over blown imo.

No, because there are ways to make a 5 there without the distance. Its classic USGA though. Tell the world to hurry up and then do nothing. Tell the world you are playing from the wrong tees and then do nothing. The USGA is notorious for doing this ********.

And when even the leading golfers are talking about issues with the course, you know its not being overblown...But actually underblown (not a real word).
I love hard. But between the fans voicing issues (all day yesterday on social and the news), media talking about how bad it is (for the last week) and the players sounding off about the conditions, the fact that this place was built for this, makes me wonder how bad it would have been had it not been.

I will enjoy the heck out of it, because its a major, and its close and its the best in the world, but the pass that some give (and I am not directing this at anybody in particular) is quite funny since according to most "experts" it has been a major let down at most levels.

And all of this I say is a shame, because its an enjoyable course that I had a good time at.

The funny thing is, I feel like this course would still have been a great test of golf even if they hadn't wrung out the course as much as they did. I know there were some unforeseeable circumstances in the weather, and I know that making it firm and fast was part of the American interpretation of links golf, but the combination has made for a course that hasn't looked or played great.

Would like to see day win it, but don't want the whole coverage to be about his vertigo. Would be nice to see Spieth win it and be on of the few with the masters and us open in same year.

not rooting for or against DJ. Pulling for someone to come from behind and out pressure on the leaders if not win it. Mostly hoping the course isn't like yesterday.

8 hours of golf coverage. Thank you Fox.

The funny thing is, I feel like this course would still have been a great test of golf even if they hadn't wrung out the course as much as they did. I know there were some unforeseeable circumstances in the weather, and I know that making it firm and fast was part of the American interpretation of links golf, but the combination has made for a course that hasn't looked or played great.
Agreed, but I usually think that about the US Open.

I remember reading a super from a similar course say the greens won't roll at normal US Open pace because Fescue won't roll that fast. Well they got them to do it... And they suck.

I love when it's difficult, I want to see excellent shots made, and those shots rewarded. Not excellent shots possibly rewarded because of the craziness. Drive the green 370 Yds and it rolls off and back down a maintenance track 50-70 yards. Which is just one example of ridiculous it's been. Oakmont next year is an known entity. I can only hope that the USGA doesn't dicker that place up.

Horschel is about to go HAM on these greens

I don't even mind the use of backstops or the way the greens are as far as undulation. Certainly the broccoli comments are comical yet sad. Given the fact that the USGA takes control of the course 2 years prior to the open year. So there is no reason for them to be in this kind of condition.

I wonder if Beau Hossler ever cashed that prom date offer in from Paula Creamer...

Billy Ho

How does that happen? Chris Kirk with that 10 on the first hole?

Billy Ho

Did hit putter actually strike the surface?

Tried to land it short of the hole and kept getting caught on the false front.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Yeah, after the first one rolled back he should have thrown the next one right over the flag instead of trying the same shot again... and again... and again...

Ok, Rory is a 2 inch taper from wear danskins. he is the polar opposite of TW and his hammer pants

Tried to land it short of the hole and kept getting caught on the false front.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
Ha! I'm aware how physically, I just can't fathom at that level how he kept doing it from a mental side of playing.

Back