2015 US Open Contest & Official Thread - Amazing Cobra PUMA Prizes

A friend of mine is a head greens keeper at a local course, he was brought up to Chambers Bay the last 3 weeks as part of the USGA task force working on the course. He just shared this post on Facebook, I thought y'all might appreciate this.
5751903a1718c0b7cf7cb73dea6da3e0.jpg

Must have been an honour for your friend to be asked up there.

I agree with some of what he says, especially about making it look like a UK links course. It sure did tee and fairway wise. Sort of a cross between Saunton, Royal Porthcawl and St Andrews Jubilee.

A good friend of mine played in the U.S. Open last week and said the course was stunning. Yes folks were getting bad bounces, but that is links golf. He said the greenkeepers had done an amazing job on the fairways. It was tough, but come on, it should be. His only criticism was that the greens were shockingly bad.

I watched on tv and he has shown a few photos of the greens. I have just totalled it up and I have played 32 different links courses in Scotland, Wales and England, but I have never played on any with greens even close to as poor looking as those. Even in winter.

My friend's, and other player's biggest gripe was that due to the odd mix of grasses on the greens you could have a 5 footer that broke 3 ways due to the patches of different grass. And you can't read for that.

Well done Martsy, enjoy the new toys

Congrats Martsy!

Well done Martsy

Congratulations! Thats one heck of a win. Enjoy!

Must have been an honour for your friend to be asked up there.

I agree with some of what he says, especially about making it look like a UK links course. It sure did tee and fairway wise. Sort of a cross between Saunton, Royal Porthcawl and St Andrews Jubilee.

A good friend of mine played in the U.S. Open last week and said the course was stunning. Yes folks were getting bad bounces, but that is links golf. He said the greenkeepers had done an amazing job on the fairways. It was tough, but come on, it should be. His only criticism was that the greens were shockingly bad.

I watched on tv and he has shown a few photos of the greens. I have just totalled it up and I have played 32 different links courses in Scotland, Wales and England, but I have never played on any with greens even close to as poor looking as those. Even in winter.

My friend's, and other player's biggest gripe was that due to the odd mix of grasses on the greens you could have a 5 footer that broke 3 ways due to the patches of different grass. And you can't read for that.
That is incredibly cool that you knew a player. Amateur or club pro?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Nice job martsy!

~Rock

Congratulations Martsy, enjoy.

I just got off the phone with Mike Yagley and I am not ashamed to admit it, I had chills from the moment I answered the phone until now that I'm typing this. A custom prototype Fly Z! Red grip, white shaft, blue head... I told him that i'm going to have trouble putting a ball mark on it, but my desire to hit it will be greater than my reverence for its beauty.

p.s. As I'm sure all you LIITA attendees know already...but what an amazingly cool and nice guy.

I just got off the phone with Mike Yagley and I am not ashamed to admit it, I had chills from the moment I answered the phone until now that I'm typing this. A custom prototype Fly Z! Red grip, white shaft, blue head... I told him that i'm going to have trouble putting a ball mark on it, but my desire to hit it will be greater than my reverence for its beauty.

p.s. As I'm sure all you LIITA attendees know already...but what an amazingly cool and nice guy.

Just talked to him. Glad it went well. Please do start a new thread when you get the driver and document the process. Very good stuff.

Yagley is the man.

That is incredibly cool that you knew a player. Amateur or club pro?

It is his first season on the European Tour after finishing in the top 10 of the Challenge Tour last season. He managed a T27th at the BMW at Wentworth in May and was joint leader after 2 rounds in the Trophee Hassan II Morocco Open.

Great lad. Not the longest from tee by any means (avg about 285 this season), but is usually arrow straight.

I'm happy to report that the course is awesome and the greens were fine. Fantastic course.

428ac03976cf4d0da1f9be668d17c0d1.jpg

I'm happy to report that the course is awesome and the greens were fine. Fantastic course.

428ac03976cf4d0da1f9be668d17c0d1.jpg

Pictures from today are absolutely fantastic!!!

Back