Where would you choose to live and raise a family?

Pkielwa

Reaction score
I am going to take an opportunity at work and get into management. When I take this step, living where we do now won't be an option anymore, so we have to find that amazing place to raise three young ones here in the U.S. So, if you had the option of anywhere in the U.S. to raise a family, where would you choose to do so?
A couple caveats: you have to send your kids to public school as private won't be an option at first. You're going to have just one income to start, so the cost of living needs to be similar to what you experience now.
It can be where you, the THP'er live, or somewhere else, it just has to be the best place you could think of for raising a family...

We left Las Vegas for FL for mainly this reason. We have loved being here, weather is good, people are nice, schools in our area are great. We're on a single income also. I'm pretty sure there are great places in pretty much every state so it all depends on what climate you prefer. We love the beach, CA is too expensive, so hello FL for us

Hard to beat North Carolina. I plan on ending up there.

Anywhere but the Phoenix Metro area.

I love it down here in Florida. I moved here back in 2000 with my mom and at first was very resistant. The only thing that I had known was New York. Once I got use to the south as teenager, I could not see myself ever wanting to leave. Of course I did leave for a little bit due to my military obligation. My wife and I decided to move to Florida because we absolutely love it down here. We love the lifestyle, the people and the weather. We knew this is where we wanted to raise our family. Its a big a plus that I can golf year round down here :banana:.

West coast of Florida from Tampa down. North Carolina either Raleigh or Charlotte. Somewhere in Texas maybe Austin for DFW

I'm not going to vote for Northeast Mississippi...not that I know from experience or anything.

I'm very anti cold weather, so most northern places are a no go for me. I am biased but love the Tampa area, cost of living is reasonable, and looks even better with no income tax. If I was going to be cold, Colorado is amazing and I think would be an amazing place to grow up, so many outdoor activities to be involved in.

How important is weather and culture (say, for example, notably liberal or conservative type areas)?

It all depends what you're looking for in a place to live - are you looking for warm weather? Somewhere with access to a coastline? There are a lot of communities where schools are great, so I think deciding on the type of environment can narrow things down the quickest.

If you're OK with cold winters, Eau Claire, WI is superb. But it gets cold with lots of snow

How important is weather and culture (say, for example, notably liberal or conservative type areas)?

I think this is key. I was going to say Missoula, MT, but if you don't like winter and/or a college town atmosphere, then not so much.

If I had to pick one place...I'd probably say southern Pennsylvania. Four real seasons, decent schools, a fair but not massive commute to the DC area courtesy of the rail system, lots of American history, not far from Pennsylvania Dutch/Amish country.

As it stands, I like that my kids are being raised living in lots of different parts of America and the world.

Within the past 10 years, I've lived in/around Salt Lake City, Nashville, Dallas and now Detroit. I've found things that I really enjoy about all of them. I also have three kids and we're living off one income. If I had all the money in the world I'd probably be in San Diego tomorrow. Since that's not the case, it's hard to say that there's one ideal place for me - I guess I'm sort of a "bloom where you're planted" type.

One thing I enjoy about Nashville is we're big enough to have all the big-city amenities (NFL team, NHL team, minor-league baseball, Symphony, Performing Arts, and of course, music in general), but yet not a huge city like Atlanta or even Orlando where I grew up (and still love). Oh, and like Florida, we have no state income tax. :)

One thing I enjoy about Nashville is we're big enough to have all the big-city amenities (NFL team, NHL team, minor-league baseball, Symphony, Performing Arts, and of course, music in general), but yet not a huge city like Atlanta or even Orlando where I grew up (and still love). Oh, and like Florida, we have no state income tax. :)
If i didn't mind the cold Nashville would also be a consideration for me.

Well considering my kids are grown ... I choose San Antonio ... I still like my beloved Texas, but will hang out here in desert because that is where the grandkids are now.

If i didn't mind the cold Nashville would also be a consideration for me.

Bah, we only get about 2 weeks of real cold a year and it's not even what a northerner would consider cold. On the plus side, our leaves change color. :)

On the downside, we have lots of bare trees in the winter.

Bah, we only get about 2 weeks of real cold a year and it's not even what a northerner would consider cold. On the plus side, our leaves change color. :)
I've spent a week there in the winter... Not for me but it's definitely nice if the op is OK with the weather.

Kelowna or Victoria.

Florida. One of the coasts. As close to the beach as possible

Watkinsville, Ga. If I had to raise kids and wanted an awesome public school system. Hands down this would be the spot!!!

Somewhere warm, no state income tax, has to be warm, has to have plenty for the family to do, warmer weather, a laid back culture, and warm. I hate Illinois

Lived all over this country.
My requirements are simple
Decent cost of living
No state income tax
Ability to golf year round
Neighborhood safety

Back