YetiLooper

Reaction score
Handicap
My son was diagnosed as Autism Spectrum at the age of 5. At the time they called it Aspergers Syndrome, which has since been scratched from the diagnosis lexicon across the medical field. He is a very smart kid, but has never made friends, though in the last years has developed a group of friends. Like many kids with autism he finds life long fixation with interests.

Any way how us this relevant? This year on vacation I took my son, now 14, and his 9yo sister to the resorts driving range. My son had been a few times and had fun but that's all... this time though he wanted to go again when we got back home. My dad offered to pay for lessons and with much encouragement (son hates routine changes) he finally accepted the change and started lessons 4 weeks ago. Golf has captured his fixation. I set up a practice net and he practices every single day, he's not just whacking at the ball he is legitimately working on what his instructor is working with him on. Each lesson day he practices extra hard and is excited to show the instructor how much he has improved and how hard he is working. He is reading through my stack of golf digest magazines. Today he was wearing his new Under Armour golf hat when we saw my parents, my mom commented that she liked it and he replied "it's like Jordan Spieths hat".

I am seeing this young man smile more than I've ever seen him smile, he is setting goals for himself, something he's never done. He wants to fly his driver 150 at the range. And with all of this I have him a little nudge to start then have stayed out of the way. Being supportive without pressure just loving in my heart to see the joy golf is bringing to this kid, a new confidence. Gosh guys I could go on and on and on about how this affecting not just me, but every person in his circle.

Anyway I'm rambling a bit but I am so excited about this.... He starting to talk about golf team when he starts high school this year!

Last edited:
I know you are so excited! I worked PT at a golf course for 4 years and got to know a young man about 11 who also had autism. He and his dad came to the course often and the boy was obsessed with the game. His dad was also excited about his new passion and I believe it changed his life in so many ways. The most thrilling thing that ever happened while I worked there was that little boy getting a hole-in-one. He was on top of the world and I bragged on him every time he came in. I hope he's still playing and I hope your son will love it as much as that boy did.

You're an awesome Dad to encourage your son through his journey ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is pretty awesome.

That sounds awesome. Congrats! It's so cool that your son is taking this game it to what seems like a passion.

Thanks for sharing this Yeti, it made my day. Happy for y'all buddy.

Thanks for sharing! Glad to hear that he has found something that excites and motivates him.

That is TRULY fantastic and warms my heart! Thank you for sharing!

Amazing story! Love hearing moving stuff like this. Good for your son, it's so great to be able to find something to be passionate about.

This is phenomenal! Very well done man. So cool.

Good stuff. That makes me smile.

That's great news, thanks for sharing! There was an article a whole back that golf is the perfect sport for people in the spectrum / ADHD. I'm happy to hear that your son has found the game.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful story. Just heart-warming.

great to hear you are happy man!!! Keep it up!!! happy for your son as well. golf is an excellent sport to get into.

Awesome and congrats to you and your son!

Thanks for sharing. I hope he meets all of the goals he sets for himself.

Sent from my G3 using TapaTalk Pro

This is great to hear!

What a great story, truly heart warming thank you for sharing. This game is so wonderful and it is great to pass it along to our youth, blessings to him on his game.

I loved reading this. Thank you for sharing it. There's nothing quite like a parent seeing the joy of a son or daughter.

This is amazing to read. Truly is. Thank you for sharing! I am so very happy for you and your son.

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Great story. It sounds like your son has found something to be passionate about and can enjoy.
You are doing a great job, letting him learn, while you stay back and allow him to take in everything he can about the game.

What a great read and a great kiddo , Way to go Dad !

Back