Callaway Big Bertha V Series Heavenwood - Technology Q&A

You'll be hard pressed to find mid w/ this, IMO. Its designed for high and thats what it does, and its so freaking nice. Most here love the stock setup in it, its a great pairing. I went up a flex and heavier in mine and its still a high flight, which I adore.

James nailed it!
This club really launches high, is incredibly easy to hit (from the deck and tee) and because of this you have a very good idea where your next shot is going to be played from.

With this club in hand, I feel very confident.

Yep and while using the stock shaft it just under performed against my 815 16*. But a different shaft could be necessary and maybe you're right I should retest it.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW I switched shafts in the 3w thinking I would get better performance out of the club. Not so much.

My question is, I am looking at Callaway pre-owned and have there shaft options, Mitsubishi Fubuki ZT 60 Graphite, Mitsubishi 2ND Generation Bassara E-Series 52 Fairway Graphite and Mitsubishi Diamana (White) D+ 72 Graphite.

Any recommendations on the shaft? I'm looking for a mid ball flight similar to my hybrid.
I agree with CJ. When I switched to a lower flying shaft I didn't really gain much by having the lower trajectory and I lost a good amount if accuracy. Hawk told me as much in advance but I couldn't believe it and had to try for myself. Then I went back to the original - on holes where I can't hit driver a FW finder is more important than maybe gaining 5 yards. My advice is to embrace the club's design and accept the higher trajectory.

Thanks, going to try the stock shaft and give it a whirl.

This club, I hit it a LOT off the tee in my 2 rounds yesterday, mainly because I'm testing irons and going driver wedge doesn't aid that, but I was stunned several times at how far I still poke this out there. It's legitimately a 230 tee club for me, and as easy as it is to hit, thats massive to be able to lean on.

So, the Heavenwood has taught me a bit of a lesson in what being confident in your equipment gets you. I've got both the V series 3W and Heavenwood - the 3W I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with (like I do with any 3W), while the Heavenwood has been my golf crutch (taking a description from James). Well, I had the headcovers swapped on the two of them the other day, and since the sizes are comparable, didn't notice that I was taking 3W instead of Heavenwood. I hit that club better off the deck than I ever have. Luckily these weren't shots going at the green, otherwise the end result wouldn't have been a lot of fun.

I'm really struggling with this club....seems like the face maybe too closed for me or something...I keep hooking it off the planet!!

I expected this club to fill a gap in my bag differently than my RazrX3 hybrid. So far I'm not seeing it, and if anything the Heavenwood is slightly shorter even though it is .5* stronger and @3" longer. It doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:
I used the Heavenwood 3 times yesterday, once on a long par three that i wanted the ball to sit right down and it payed off great and twice on par fives that I had high trees as an obstacle. One shot had everyone in awe asking how the heck did I just get it so high and far and the other would of been great too since I tried to go over the trees blocking the dogleg but I just miss aimed (maybe pulled a little might be a better description) and ended up just to the left of the green. Great day again with this club.

I expected this club to fill a gap in my bag differently than my RazrX3 hhybrid. So far I'm not see it, and if anything the Heavenwood is slightly shorter even though it is .5* stronger and @3" longer. It doesn't make any sense.

Get the Heavenwood on a monitor against the 3H. Check out the launch angle and spin, and I think you'll see it.

I'm not so surprised to be honest. I've played 7Ws for a few years now. While they've typically been in the 41.50 to 42.50 inch shaft range, and a 3H to 4H is typically the same distance for me. The difference is in trajectory, stopping power, roll out and accuracy.

The Heavenwood seems to be a pretty shallow head, on a high kick shaft. I've not put it on a monitor, but I expect that even with the extra shaft length, it'd only be a few yards longer than my current 7w (say 5?). That'd put it right at my 2 hybrid range off the deck with roll out.

Get the Heavenwood on a monitor against the 3H. Check out the launch angle and spin, and I think you'll see it.

I'm not so surprised to be honest. I've played 7Ws for a few years now. While they've typically been in the 41.50 to 42.50 inch shaft range, and a 3H to 4H is typically the same distance for me. The difference is in trajectory, stopping power, roll out and accuracy.

The Heavenwood seems to be a pretty shallow head, on a high kick shaft. I've not put it on a monitor, but I expect that even with the extra shaft length, it'd only be a few yards longer than my current 7w (say 5?). That'd put it right at my 2 hybrid range off the deck with roll out.

Quite interesting because on the FlightScope head to head against the same FW in 7w loft, it goes significantly further for me due to the club head speed being quite a bit more due to shaft length. It has less loft than a 7 wood and more length than a 7 wood. Unless someone is making really poor contact, head to head it will go further when comparing apples to apples.

I'm really struggling with this club....seems like the face maybe too closed for me or something...I keep hooking it off the planet!!

I am having the same issue, the ball just takes off way left.

The V Series does have some anti slice to them. I found that my miss on the 3W/5W was a high hook. After some tinkering I weakened my grip a touch and turned the high hook into a mid baby draw that just rockets. I also have the darndest time trying to hit a fade with them, its either straight or left.

That is by far my miss with this club, and every other for that matter! But when I put a proper swing on it I get a nice high ball flight.

The V Series does have some anti slice to them. I found that my miss on the 3W/5W was a high hook. After some tinkering I weakened my grip a touch and turned the high hook into a mid baby draw that just rockets. I also have the darndest time trying to hit a fade with them, its either straight or left.

I'll have to try this today. I really hope I can get it fixed because for awhile I was money with this club.

That is by far my miss with this club, and every other for that matter! But when I put a proper swing on it I get a nice high ball flight.

Kyle I'm the same way brother. I used to slice everything and now I hook everything haha.

Glad to see it's not just me......I have hit it really well a handfull of times, but everything else has been starting left and going left...I mean WAY LEFT!....I can hit my 3W or my 4hy and not have this issue....really need to spend some time on the range with it soon or it's headed to the marketplace!

Days like today remind me, this club will be pried from my cold dead hands.

Effing. Amazing.

Glad to see it's not just me......I have hit it really well a handfull of times, but everything else has been starting left and going left...I mean WAY LEFT!....I can hit my 3W or my 4hy and not have this issue....really need to spend some time on the range with it soon or it's headed to the marketplace!
If/before it hits the marketplace hit me with a PM and I can save you the trouble of posting it

I really adore this club. I had a bit of a struggle with it over the weekend but after two range sessions this week I am back to hitting it well. I'm really pondering adding the V Series 3 wood

Quite interesting because on the FlightScope head to head against the same FW in 7w loft, it goes significantly further for me due to the club head speed being quite a bit more due to shaft length. It has less loft than a 7 wood and more length than a 7 wood. Unless someone is making really poor contact, head to head it will go further when comparing apples to apples.

JB: Good info. Thanks!

On the yardage comment relative to my FW, I was comparing it to my current 7w, the 588. That one is 20.5 / 42.75 which is already pretty aggressive in spec to some of the others I'd played. I am just guessing I'd pick up 5 (?) more yards going to a Heavenwood due to the extra 1/2 inch of shaft over a 588 7w.

Have you hit them both (588 7w vs Heavenwood) side by side? Got any good comparative numbers on the two? I actually would expect the Heavenwood to launch and spin a little higher.

With my admittedly aggressively spec'd 588 7w, it's about the same distance as my 2H. Some other older 7ws I hit with a bit more loft and less shaft were about like my 3H. I could definitely see someone who was making good contact with a 3h being as long as someone with the Heavenwood. That's especially true if they were slightly delofting the hybrid. I'd expect though that the ball flights, trajectory, etc. would look quite a bit different though.

Admittedly, I'm only an average swing speed player. Maybe this changes with more clubhead speed.

If/before it hits the marketplace hit me with a PM and I can save you the trouble of posting it
If Ray backs out, you can PM me also

This club continues to be incredibly intriguing to me. I should have just bit the bullet and snagged one when CPO had them on sale.

Going to hit the range with it this weekend, if nothing changes I'll let you guys know

Going to hit the range with it this weekend, if nothing changes I'll let you guys know

You free sun afternoon?

I can be, whatca got in mind?

Check the Houston Thread

Back