Callaway XR Driver Review Thread

Pondering the XR or XR pro, I am leaning on the pro version as I am not quite feeling the crown graphics. Stuck on shaft options as well Rouge silver, handcrafted or handcrafted pro?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

The crown on the XR is actually pretty nice. After 2 full months with the club, I don't even really notice the raised part of the crown. As for the shafts, the rogue was a bit stiff for me since I have a slower tempo and I'm guessing the "handcrafted" you reference are the stock shaft since there isn't a Pro version of the Handcrafted. The LZ Project X shaft is just a bit longer but if you can work with the 46" shaft then it's a bomber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The crown on the XR is actually pretty nice. After 2 full months with the club, I don't even really notice the raised part of the crown. As for the shafts, the rogue was a bit stiff for me since I have a slower tempo and I'm guessing the "handcrafted" you reference are the stock shaft since there isn't a Pro version of the Handcrafted. The LZ Project X shaft is just a bit longer but if you can work with the 46" shaft then it's a bomber

There are actually two LZ handcrafted shafts pro and non pro

Pondering the XR or XR pro, I am leaning on the pro version as I am not quite feeling the crown graphics. Stuck on shaft options as well Rouge silver, handcrafted or handcrafted pro?

I found the regular XR to be a better more forgiving option. You don't even notice the crown graphics after a few swings. But go test em out. :)

I found the regular XR to be a better more forgiving option. You don't even notice the crown graphics after a few swings. But go test em out. :)
Way way way way way way more forgiving. The difference on ball speed retention on lateral misses is drastic. I say this having gamed the xr and with the pro in the bag right now.

A few weeks ago I got on the launch monitor and put the LZ, Silver Rogue and B. Asha 5s head to head. I've been waiting for the pro to email me the data but he can't seem to figure out how to do it. Unfortunately I wasn't looking at the numbers during the session very much at all so I don't have much to report.

My biggest issue has always been spin. Its really a swing flaw as I hit down through the ball with driver. That day I was usually in the -5 to -2 range. Spin would be up around 4000 but did get it down to 2600 with a few swings when the angle of attack was near zero. We determined that the Silver Rogue was the best shaft for me. It had the tightest dispersion and lowest spin of the bunch. By the end of the session I was hitting the club really well. He had me focus on clearing my left side and getting my weight transferred properly and I was seeing swing speeds 97-100 mph, 5-8 mph more than I've seen on a monitor before. That day I left with the rogue in the club set at -1 and neutral. A few days later my swing scale arrived and here are the numbers I recorded for the driver the 3 shafts mentioned.

Shaft
Swing Weight
Length (in)
Overall Weight (g)
Silver Rogue 60g
C4
LZ 6.0
C3
Basha 5s
C2.5

I've played 27 holes with the XR-Silver Rogue set up and its been working well. I only hit 33% of the fairways the first 18 holes but only 1 of the misses resulted in the a penalty. I was seeing good distance with a fade all day.

Got out and played 9 after work last night and really hit it pretty well. Played an easier course that I haven't play in probably 5 or 6 years. It was a fun day. Hit 4 of 6 fairways, the 2 I missed were holes that required a draw and I couldn't get the ball to turn over. I shot the lowest 9 hole score for me in years with a 38. Wasn't really paying close attention to my distance off the tee, but I would estimate I was in the 240-260 range.

I'm really enjoying the XR. Plan to keep the Silver Rogue in there for a while. Might add a little weight to the head to get it up to a D1 or D2 swing weight.

I think I will be going LZ as it seems the best route paired with the XR.

I think I will be going LZ as it seems the best route paired with the XR.

Hit it well. I like the XR 9* w/ KK black 60s combo i have.

Hit it well. I like the XR 9* w/ KK black 60s combo i have.

I may head out to Golf town and gave these a whack! There is so many great combos to choose from that is why I love Callaway for this. No charge options on some great shafts and decently priced up charge on premiums

I had never seen them before either until I started researching swing weighting a bit. It's a big deal for me since my irons are D5 and my Wedges are D6. I like to feel the weight.

The closest Golf Galaxy to me is 45 minutes away or so. I called to make sure they had the tungsten swing weight stickers you linked to and they told me they did. So I drove all the way there to find that they did not have them in stock. I ended up grabbing a roll of the high density lead tape from GolfWorks and will just use that for now.

I'm going out to my club this afternoon and I have access to a swing weight scale there. So I will do some weighing and taping today followed by 9 holes with my son. So we will see how it works for me.

Yesterday was hit or miss with the driver swing weight changes. It was playing at C9 and I bumped it up to D3. It felt very head heavy yesterday for me. I spent a couple hours on the range today and started getting more comfortable with it. I'm going to up it all the way to D5 and spend a week with it there before spending another week at D4. It definitely helped with my abrupt backswing and overall tempo.

Yesterday was hit or miss with the driver swing weight changes. It was playing at C9 and I bumped it up to D3. It felt very head heavy yesterday for me. I spent a couple hours on the range today and started getting more comfortable with it. I'm going to up it all the way to D5 and spend a week with it there before spending another week at D4. It definitely helped with my abrupt backswing and overall tempo.

C9 is crazy light. Hope you get better results from the heavier swingweight.

Sorry they didn't have the tabs sir! They aren't located by the lead tape and took me a long while to find in the store. I almost got mad at the guy because he told me they had them on the phone and then I couldn't find them.... Oh well. Hopefully the added weight helps a bit! It has helped me a bunch. Keep us updated!

The results were definitely better today than yesterday so the weight is helping. It just felt heavy compared to what I was used to. My 3W has a stock SW of D3 and I have much better results with it than my driver off the tee. So it's not like the overall weight is heavy, just different. And I increased the swing weight to D5 on all my clubs tonight and can't tell the difference in hand versus D3.

How many grams did you need to add to go from c9 to d5? Around 12g or so ?

How many grams did you need to add to go from c9 to d5? Around 12g or so ?

Yes. 12" of the high density lead tape sold by GolfWorks. I'm curious as to what it would take to re-build the club at that swing weight. A hosel weight or hot melt? I'm sure that's too much weight to achieve with tungsten powder in the epoxy, but I'm no club builder so I really have no idea.

I've got a club builder I trust that does my stuff if you need to ask someone about it.

Yes. 12" of the high density lead tape sold by GolfWorks. I'm curious as to what it would take to re-build the club at that swing weight. A hosel weight or hot melt? I'm sure that's too much weight to achieve with tungsten powder in the epoxy, but I'm no club builder so I really have no idea.

I've got a club builder I trust that does my stuff if you need to ask someone about it.

Thanks, but I'm not going to do it myself. I'm going to pay to have Club Champion do it. I'm just going to hold off a month or so to put some time into testing swing weight before I make my final decision.

Heavier shaft would help too.
Just watch adding a bunch of weight is going to make the shaft play softer. You'll be in 3w head weight territory. Most 3w shafts are tipped an inch or so to compensate for lord head weight.

That's the thing, the shaft is heavier than the stock XR shaft. But it's also .75" shorter. It was 67 grams uncut (46") and plays at 45.25". So it should be around 43.5" without the head and 63 grams roughly. The stock shaft is 56 grams in stiff flex but plays at 46". And I'm not sure if that 56 grams is an uncut shaft or what it weighs after it's been cut and had the adapter installed by Callaway. So the stock stiff shaft could be even lighter.

That's the thing, the shaft is heavier than the stock XR shaft. But it's also .75" shorter. It was 67 grams uncut (46") and plays at 45.25". So it should be around 43.5" without the head and 63 grams roughly. The stock shaft is 56 grams in stiff flex but plays at 46". And I'm not sure if that 56 grams is an uncut shaft or what it weighs after it's been cut and had the adapter installed by Callaway. So the stock stiff shaft could be even lighter.

Not sure how Callaway does it. But Ping adds the adapter weight as part of the head weight. Not the shaft. The ping adapter is 5g. The Cally adapter I believe is around 7-10g. It's pretty bulky.

I hit the XR today in store, was unimpressed with my numbers with it. Tested the px6.0 shaft which is normal for me as I use stiff flex throughout the bag. My launch angle was 10* with a smash factor of 1.63 and total drive of 245. Which is low compared to what I game. The launch was way too low, might I add my best swing was not on display. Hope to try it again in the next couple of days

I hit the XR today in store, was unimpressed with my numbers with it. Tested the px6.0 shaft which is normal for me as I use stiff flex throughout the bag. My launch angle was 10* with a smash factor of 1.63 and total drive of 245. Which is low compared to what I game. The launch was way too low, might I add my best swing was not on display. Hope to try it again in the next couple of days

With the lz you can go a bit stiffer as the loading zone plays a big role. Surprised the launch was low. Xr is one of the highest launching heads I've gamed

With the lz you can go a bit stiffer as the loading zone plays a big role. Surprised the launch was low. Xr is one of the highest launching heads I've gamed

+1 for this. My PX LZ Handcrafted is a 7.0 and based on standard criteria, I should have no business playing an X-flex. The people at Project X apparently know what they're doing. :smile:

Is this the right number? I am pretty sure this number is unattainable.

Back