Callaway XR Driver Review Thread

I was fortunate enough to put on a freaking XR commercial this weekend with a bunch of THPers. Hitting fairways all weekend long, even as my energy level waned, I was still smoking this driver with nice smooth swings. My iron game went to crap, but I was getting off the tee so well with this driver. It won't go anywhere unless the fitters at Callaway tell find me an even better option, but I dare them to try because I just don't know that it's out there.

Knowing Callaway, I have a feeling, we will have our minds blown by some #NewHotness that will change our minds my friend! Hahahaha

Knowing Callaway, I have a feeling, we will have our minds blown by some #NewHotness that will change our minds my friend! Hahahaha

Harry starts teasing 20 yards extra and people take notice.

I was fortunate enough to put on a freaking XR commercial this weekend with a bunch of THPers. Hitting fairways all weekend long, even as my energy level waned, I was still smoking this driver with nice smooth swings. My iron game went to crap, but I was getting off the tee so well with this driver. It won't go anywhere unless the fitters at Callaway tell find me an even better option, but I dare them to try because I just don't know that it's out there.

So you're saying #MVP is only going to improve from here? #zoocrew doesn't stand a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Added some rubber tungsten tabs to the driver today to add some swing weight. Been unable to feel the club during my swing. I feel like once I can feel the club head with some consistency,I'll be much better off. Weight should be more in line with the D5 of my irons. Excited to give it a go in Biloxi this week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Added some rubber tungsten tabs to the driver today to add some swing weight. Been unable to feel the club during my swing. I feel like once I can feel the club head with some consistency,I'll be much better off. Weight should be more in line with the D5 of my irons. Excited to give it a go in Biloxi this week.

How much weight did you add? I moved up to a 72 gram shaft and that seemed to help.

Did the same thing last week - added 3g where the 815 has a weight towards the toe, and a couple of grams a little more towards the back. I wanted it to have about the same weight as the V Series and needed to add 4g. So I added a tad more.

It did make a difference as to better quality shots and consistency. Just feeling the head, I think. Playing it at 10.5 with Oban Isawa, launches higher than a 10 V Series with Fuji 565 - which has a great launch window. Need to bring it down to 9.5 or try the Fuji and see what happens. Isawa is smoother...

Thanks for the info on what it did for you. Better quality striking is key for fairways and better scores.

My whole purpose is to just be able to feel the head more. I tend to hit a straight ball so I haven't done anything in terms of putting it towards the toe or heal yet. Keeping it on the bottom center for now. I'm excited to give it a go this weekend. If I can start finding more fairways.... I feel like my game will be at scratch in no time. Tee ball is the only thing holding me back right now. Flight leaves at 8pm and I'll be swinging away in the morning! Fingers crossed.

Did the same thing last week - added 3g where the 815 has a weight towards the toe, and a couple of grams a little more towards the back. I wanted it to have about the same weight as the V Series and needed to add 4g. So I added a tad more.

It did make a difference as to better quality shots and consistency. Just feeling the head, I think. Playing it at 10.5 with Oban Isawa, launches higher than a 10 V Series with Fuji 565 - which has a great launch window. Need to bring it down to 9.5 or try the Fuji and see what happens. Isawa is smoother...

I added 8g so far to my XR. I had a 72 g shaft in a previous driver and I struggled greatly with it. I think it's because the weight was spread out and I still wasn't feeling the head of the driver much. As I said before, I moved my swing weight in my irons to D5 and D6(wedges) this past winter and my ball striking with those has been MUCH improved. Now it's just getting the driver in tune. I'm hoping the extra weight helps.

How much weight did you add? I moved up to a 72 gram shaft and that seemed to help.

I was still having issues with my XR, but wasn't certain if it was the new shaft or the head or me.... I usually look to me first as the culprit.

I added about 5g to the head out towards the toe, but was still going right, left, right, left ... while my V Series w Fuji 565 was going straight.

So I dumped the Oban and installed a Speeder 665 Stiff, and eh, voila - things changed for the better. Kept coming back to it every 30 minutes and still working. I think my guy setup the Oban soft at the tip, something was not working. Put the Oban in the V Series and it works, but it was temperamental. Like a girlfriend on a monthly, it is a roller coaster ride -- going to send the Oban back for tweaking.

The little tungsten weights keep flying off, so I only added 2.6g.

So a little weight, a heavier more stable shaft and new club works!

Callaway also told me to hit it in the center -- high hits lose distance with the XR. I have a positive AOA but will tee slightly lower on the XR ... going between 9.5-10.5.

Last edited:
I added 8g so far to my XR. I had a 72 g shaft in a previous driver and I struggled greatly with it. I think it's because the weight was spread out and I still wasn't feeling the head of the driver much. As I said before, I moved my swing weight in my irons to D5 and D6(wedges) this past winter and my ball striking with those has been MUCH improved. Now it's just getting the driver in tune. I'm hoping the extra weight helps.

Hey Derek, where did you get the weights/tabs? I'm having the same issue right now.

golfworks has tungsten weight tabs

10 tabs to a pack -- I have them at 2.3g per tab

Been playing this for the last few rounds. I'm sure its just me, but I seem to have same launch no matter how I set the tip. Very weird. I love this club. It seems to fit me well, but I'm not swinging it good enough to elaborate at all.

Been playing this for the last few rounds. I'm sure its just me, but I seem to have same launch no matter how I set the tip. Very weird. I love this club. It seems to fit me well, but I'm not swinging it good enough to elaborate at all.
Weird that you are struggling with it. You always hit it so well when we played. It launches high. That head has three settings for loft high, higher and moonballs lol

Weird that you are struggling with it. You always hit it so well when we played. It launches high. That head has three settings for loft high, higher and moonballs lol
I know that it isn't the club though. I'm missing so badly with every tee club the same as the next. Definitely the Indian. Ironically, my ball flight in every setting is low. I'm so messed up right now lol

I know that it isn't the club though. I'm missing so badly with every tee club the same as the next. Definitely the Indian. Ironically, my ball flight in every setting is low. I'm so messed up right now lol
Yeah that's not your usual self at all

Nope. Just one of those days.

I had an opportunity to jump on a used Oban Kiyoshi black that was callaway tippped on a 815 DBD. I had never hit the DBD so i played 2 rounds with it along with hitting it on the Launch Monitor. I noticed it had a lower launch angle (10-11) with about 2800-3000 RPMs getting out to an average of 280 yards after 5 quality hits. My biggest hit was 285 yards. SS was about 108-110. I didn't check the weights but I had everything going on a 10 yard draw.
Both rounds were 4/14 fairways, with most misses just a bit too much to the left or overcooked on the left when hit on the toe.

Then I put my XR head back in it over the weekend. Much to my surprise on the launch monitor (the LM results were from the same day as when i hit the DBD), my spin was down to 2000-2400. Launch angle was right at 14-15 and my average yardage was at 277 yards after 5 quality hits. My biggest hit was 282 yards. SS was at 105-107. That part was interesting. I would switch back and forth, mix it up between both heads and I found myself consistently about 2-3 mph slower with the XR head. Maybe it was just a crazy coincidence but that's just what the data showed.
NOW, this is where the biggest difference showed up. I hit 7/14 fairways and 8/14 fairways in my Friday/Saturday round. Ok so the XR is 3-5 yards shorter but I essentially double my fairways hit with that bad boy.

I'm finding that the XR head is very reactive to the shaft you put in, more that what I've seen with the 815 alpha, the DBD and the Titleist 915D3 i used to have. I'm enjoying the flight consistency and lower spin of the kiyoshi black. It seems to hold out at the apex and have a much flatter angle of descent.

I'm playing another round today with this combo so I'll post an update on it later. XR = eXtra Reliable?

Finally had the XR on a monitor this weekend at the Bridgestone invitational in KC. Granted, my swing wasn't great, and I'm not sure if it even resembled my real swing, but the spin numbers I was seeing were somewhat interesting. On the 1 swing that James looked at all of my numbers, I was at 4400 spin, 11* launch, and 2.7* positive angle of attack. Other swings I looked at spin and was in the 4k range, which I'm told is high. I don't know what all of this means, other than to hint that I might need to look into ways to get that spin down. Again, the swings I was making weren't necessarily my every day swing because I was tired, but that does tell me that when I do get tired I somehow find a way to spin the crap out of the ball.

Finally had the XR on a monitor this weekend at the Bridgestone invitational in KC. Granted, my swing wasn't great, and I'm not sure if it even resembled my real swing, but the spin numbers I was seeing were somewhat interesting. On the 1 swing that James looked at all of my numbers, I was at 4400 spin, 11* launch, and 2.7* positive angle of attack. Other swings I looked at spin and was in the 4k range, which I'm told is high. I don't know what all of this means, other than to hint that I might need to look into ways to get that spin down. Again, the swings I was making weren't necessarily my every day swing because I was tired, but that does tell me that when I do get tired I somehow find a way to spin the crap out of the ball.
wow!! I'm a bit surprised by those numbers. after watching you hit it for two days. I didn't notice an excessive amount of spin. except for some of those that were into that strong wind yesterday.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

wow!! I'm a bit surprised by those numbers. after watching you hit it for two days. I didn't notice an excessive amount of spin. except for some of those that were into that strong wind yesterday.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I haven't had any problems with the driver, so I'm not going to let this new bit of information change anything for me or lead me into any drastic changes, but it does make me a bit curious that there could be an even better configuration than I've been seeing.

If spin is going up when you are getting tired, I would honestly suggest working on fitness until you are happy with that side of it, and then looking into configurations.

If you are seeing dramatic differences between any sort of numbers when fresh vs tired, I would try and neutralize that issue so that fitting can work best.

If spin is going up when you are getting tired, I would honestly suggest working on fitness until you are happy with that side of it, and then looking into configurations.

If you are seeing dramatic differences between any sort of numbers when fresh vs tired, I would try and neutralize that issue so that fitting can work best.
Great points, but I don't know if the spin is higher when I'm tired vs fresh, because I've never been on a monitor when I've been fresh with this club. Was just sharing what I saw this weekend, and will see if I even want to do anything about it because I have been having a lot of success with this club.

BOOM! I'm in love.... On Tuesday, while playing the O'Meara course at Carton House, I hit 14 of 14 fairways, first time in a long, long time. Granted a few of the fairways were generous, but the ball went were it was supposed to.

Over the last while I have been ironing out a few old habits in my swing, so Tuesday was the first time I took out this baby for real. I love the look of the crown of the head with its speed step and the Project X LZ shaft worked wonders. With every drive I was getting more and more confident. I was playing with a work colleague would I have played with a number of times. He is 6’3” compared to my 5’10” frame and would normally out drive me by 15-20 yards. Not on this time. I was outdriving him and on occasions up to 30yards!!! He was astonished, and the entire group commented, that they loved the sound the head made on impact.

This club has now officially replaced by X2 Hot driver, which I loved also.

14/14 fairways is incredible!

BOOM! I'm in love.... On Tuesday, while playing the O'Meara course at Carton House, I hit 14 of 14 fairways, first time in a long, long time. Granted a few of the fairways were generous, but the ball went were it was supposed to.

Over the last while I have been ironing out a few old habits in my swing, so Tuesday was the first time I took out this baby for real. I love the look of the crown of the head with its speed step and the Project X LZ shaft worked wonders. With every drive I was getting more and more confident. I was playing with a work colleague would I have played with a number of times. He is 6’3” compared to my 5’10” frame and would normally out drive me by 15-20 yards. Not on this time. I was outdriving him and on occasions up to 30yards!!! He was astonished, and the entire group commented, that they loved the sound the head made on impact.

This club has now officially replaced by X2 Hot driver, which I loved also.

14/14 is great. Glad you enjoy the club. I'm struggling a bit of but stories like yours just help to remind me that it's possible and takes time. Keep up the good golf

Back