Callaway XR Driver Review Thread

Having a crack with this tonight considering it alongside the R15 and 915... have a few vouchers that are burning a hole in my pocket. Very keen to see how it goes love the design on it. Thanks for all the feedback in the thread been doing some reading and it has me very excited to leave work and have a crack.

With the lz you can go a bit stiffer as the loading zone plays a big role. Surprised the launch was low. Xr is one of the highest launching heads I've gamed
I think my experience was way off as I did not have my normal swing on display, the pull hooks came into play. I agree Kang from what I have read my launch should have been higher , as well I am a very high ball hitter naturally. Another test session coming up soon .
Is this the right number? I am pretty sure this number is unattainable.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Is this the right number? I am pretty sure this number is unattainable.
Sorry Fup, yes you were right. I meant to write 1.36. My last swing was a 1.5, with the launch at 10* like almost all of them. On paper I should be getting huge numbers from this but my game swing did not show up to the testing.

And forgot to add, the average swing speed was 114, peaked at 117mph

I got a range session in last night with the XR/UST Elements Chrome 6F4T setup with the swing weight upped to D5 (12 inches of lead tape). I have to say the dispersion was the best I've probably ever seen with any driver I've hit in my short 2 year golf career. I picked two poles out on the range roughly 40 yards apart to use as my imaginary fairway and even the severe mis-hits stayed within the boundaries. While I had plenty of mis-hits I had a great day with the driver. I did not hit on a monitor though so I couldn't tell you if I've lost any speed or distance with the added swing weight. The last pole from my location yesterday was confirmed at 234 with my range finder and the solid struck balls and majority of balls hit carried past that pole. I just can't tell how much past from where I was. I don't think any mis-hits carried shorter than that marker, but several appeared to land right at it. Even if the majority of the balls would have ended up somewhere in the 250 range I would be happy taking that the course if it was consistent.

ETA - I also bumped all my irons up to D5 and had one of my better iron striking days in a long time and know I didn't lose any distance with them. I was carrying 138 with my PW and beyond 190 with my 5 iron. My previous average was 135-140 with my PW (previously D4) but 185 with my 5 iron (previously D3). So I feel like the added swing weight on my 3i-9i (d3 to d5) helped me at least with better contact to see the distance gains I saw in the longer irons.

I had another range session last night and did not have a single mis-hit with the XR which is a first in a very long time for me. I have never had so much consistency with any driver as what I saw last night. For the first time, I think I have this club figured out. It's still at D5 and staying that way for now.

I still don't know if I've lost any distance from my best hits when it had a C9 swing weight, but at this point I don't care. The same marker that was 234 the previous night was 250 from where I was last night. I was carrying to this pole on every shot (some just short and some just past, but all close to the marker).

Ok need some help from guys that have tinkered with SW on XR driver: how did you add weight to the clubhead without hotmelt? I'm thinking alot of lead tape.

Ok need some help from guys that have tinkered with SW on XR driver: how did you add weight to the clubhead without hotmelt? I'm thinking alot of lead tape.

I have 12" of lead tape on mine and its wrapped around the adapter just below the hosel. It's temporary and I plan to have the club rebuilt using tungsten powder in the hosel with epoxy, a hosel weight, or hotmelt. It depends on what Club Champion tells me is the best way to achieve my desired swing weight.

I just got a brand new XR 10.5 off ebay for $190 shipped

Took it out today and hit 9 of 13 fairways.....so far so good

maybe a long shot, but did anyone previously game the old Xhot driver and if so any thoughts on the differences between those 2? Many A driver have attempted to knock out the Xhot but have failed. However Im intrigued with this one.

maybe a long shot, but did anyone previously game the old Xhot driver and if so any thoughts on the differences between those 2? Many A driver have attempted to knock out the Xhot but have failed. However Im intrigued with this one.
I had the X2Hot when it first came out. I can honestly say my swing is way better than back then but I really think xr is more forgiving across the face. For damn sure launches higher which I know you need lol

Yes sir. I had the Xhot for a while and then was fit for the XR and 815. First thing you will notice right off the bat is the sound is quite different. A bit more metallic sounding at impact on the XR. From there, you will notice a bit more forgiveness higher on the face of the XR and about the same laterally.

In terms of launch, the XR launches the same, but peaks higher from the testing we have done for most players. I think golfers get confused with launch and height sometimes, but that is what we found. Spin is similar, although I personally found the XR to spin about 300 RPMs more in comparable loft.

Hope this helps.

Yes sir. I had the Xhot for a while and then was fit for the XR and 815. First thing you will notice right off the bat is the sound is quite different. A bit more metallic sounding at impact on the XR. From there, you will notice a bit more forgiveness higher on the face of the XR and about the same laterally.

In terms of launch, the XR launches the same, but peaks higher from the testing we have done for most players. I think golfers get confused with launch and height sometimes, but that is what we found. Spin is similar, although I personally found the XR to spin about 300 RPMs more in comparable loft.

Hope this helps.

Did you see a drop off on toe forgiveness, for me that has been where the Xhot has shined (obviously not ideal to hit the ball out there)

Did you see a drop off on toe forgiveness, for me that has been where the Xhot has shined (obviously not ideal to hit the ball out there)

Not at all. In fact laterally I think the forgiveness is quite similar. The difference for me in terms of ball speed was high on the face, where the XR truly shined.

Finally started hitting this club well again and the difference seems to be staying smooth and easy and not trying to murder the ball (as with any club, right?). It seems when I over swing even a little, it becomes really difficult to find the center of the face. Most of the drivers that I've had haven't been this tempo sensitive, but maybe something I'll need to keep a specific eye on going forward.

So did some tinkering because after bad rounds it's always the club's fault. With the KK 60s installed, playing length was C7. Put few strips of lead tape front to back across the sole of the XR trying to raise SW. Got it to D1. Going to give this a try. Also will be testing a speeder 661 in XR now as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love your dedication to making it work. Being that you're a fairly smooth and calm swinger, I think a little heavier swing weight should actually help give you a little more club head speed and distance. Keep us updated!

Did you grab the XR Pro FW yet? :)

So did some tinkering because after bad rounds it's always the club's fault. With the KK 60s installed, playing length was C7. Put few strips of lead tape front to back across the sole of the XR trying to raise SW. Got it to D1. Going to give this a try. Also will be testing a speeder 661 in XR now as well.

I love your dedication to making it work. Being that you're a fairly smooth and calm swinger, I think a little heavier swing weight should actually help give you a little more club head speed and distance. Keep us updated!

Did you grab the XR Pro FW yet? :)

Thanks Derek, I'm hoping the same thing. The X2Hot pro was about same SW so I'm hoping for better results. I'll definitely be putting th work over the next few weeks to get ready to play Torrey again. Also if you're okay with it, I'll probably shoot you a text about the XR Pro.

I just got a brand new XR 10.5 off ebay for $190 shipped

Took it out today and hit 9 of 13 fairways.....so far so good

Massive win. Cheapest I can get it here is $449

Tried searching this thread to no avail. Are there any comments on the matte finish's durability? Does it chip or scuff from skymarks/ballmarks?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Tried searching this thread to no avail. Are there any comments on the matte finish's durability? Does it chip or scuff from skymarks/ballmarks?

Very durable

Thanks Derek, I'm hoping the same thing. The X2Hot pro was about same SW so I'm hoping for better results. I'll definitely be putting th work over the next few weeks to get ready to play Torrey again. Also if you're okay with it, I'll probably shoot you a text about the XR Pro.

Text anytime sir! :)

Haven't had any issues with the finish on mine. Only have had it 3 months though.

No issues with the finish von mine and it's seen A LOT of range time and play. Holding up quite nicely. :)

Back