The 2015-16 College football thread (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to get you out to some games JB .. A few beers and a good time and you will be all set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need to get you out to some games JB .. A few beers and a good time and you will be all set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I cant wait.
Although I prefer to be with a group of THPers and thankfully can do that all year long with THP Events.

As much as this pains me I think Ohio State wins it all again. I love how Notre Dame is overrated again. Looking at their schedule I see at least 3 loses and that's not including Texas which I think is a toss up. I think Georgia, Ohio State, USC, and Auburn or Bama as the fourth team. I just hope Missouri can find a receiver so they go to a good bowl again this year. I think they finish second in the SEC east behind Georgia.

What percentage does ND have of finishing the year in the Top 25?

Real talk here. I give it maybe 15%.

What percentage does ND have of finishing the year in the Top 25?

Real talk here. I give it maybe 15%.
I think there is a fair chance they are ranked.

Zero chance they are in a playoff game though .

I think there is a fair chance they are ranked.

Zero chance they are in a playoff game though .

Dunno they have some tough games on their schedule and that's not even counting the vaunted UMass.

Dunno they have some tough games on their schedule and that's not even counting the vaunted UMass.
I see 4 tough games, win just one of them and they are a lock to give ranked.

I see 4 tough games, win just one of them and they are a lock to give ranked.

With them this is probably true. Only to get smashed in the bowl game by an actual decent team :alien:

With them this is probably true. Only to get smashed in the bowl game by an actual decent team :alien:
That is traditional yes.

I'm just a fan of ND football .. Win or lose

get off the computer and go get involved this fall and go see some College football in person. Shut off the computer Internet warriors :) :)

Hey, wiscy guys, what was the deal with the RB the Huskers just picked up?

What happened there?

And just to everyone in general, the way I read it he would be eligible to play right away? (I assume they would red shirt him if that's the case)
He was released by Wisconsin based on academic requirements therefore could sign with anyone. He was once a Texas recruit but seemed like Strong lost interest in him. Texas is going through the same thing right now with a player. Player committed to Texas but then this summer found out that he didn't take all the required courses he needed to get admitted. Player could have taken summer courses but decided it was too much so is going to wait till Texas has no other choice but to release him due to his academic standing which will free him up to enroll with anyone shortly thereafter. He's made it known that OU is at the top of his list now which I think is why Texas is slow playing him (among other reasons).

It's interesting to me though that the Big 10 has this situation where one kid can't get into one school but then is found eligible to get in to another. I know this happens with all schools and conferences but it surprises me with the way the Big 10 harps on their AAU caliber schools but would allow such different admitting standards within their conference. Just interesting.

He was released by Wisconsin based on academic requirements therefore could sign with anyone. He was once a Texas recruit but seemed like Strong lost interest in him. Texas is going through the same thing right now with a player. Player committed to Texas but then this summer found out that he didn't take all the required courses he needed to get admitted. Player could have taken summer courses but decided it was too much so is going to wait till Texas has no other choice but to release him due to his academic standing which will free him up to enroll with anyone shortly thereafter. He's made it known that OU is at the top of his list now which I think is why Texas is slow playing him (among other reasons).

It's interesting to me though that the Big 10 has this situation where one kid can't get into one school but then is found eligible to get in to another. I know this happens with all schools and conferences but it surprises me with the way the Big 10 harps on their AAU caliber schools but would allow such different admitting standards within their conference. Just interesting.

Some of the schools in the BIG10 are much more strict than others, although for the most part the entire conference is pretty high up there in the nation. for example Northwestern. Probably a big reason they will always be mediocre unfortunately. I believe Nebraska is actually one of the ones towards the bottom for the BIG10. One ranking put Wisconsin at 16 in the country in terms of Academics, and Nebraska was 44.

There was a guy in my gym today that could possible be the largest person I have ever seen up close. I'm 6' 2" tall and the top of my head was not even up to his shoulder level. He was well built to with arms much bigger than my legs. I over heard one of the guys chatting with him and football was mentioned. I couldn't hear all of the conversation but Georgia was in the mix. I know size is not everything in football but this guy looked very athletic! He was tall enough to be a basketball player but they were talking Georgia football. Man I hope this young man is an up and coming player :blob:

Some of the schools in the BIG10 are much more strict than others, although for the most part the entire conference is pretty high up there in the nation. for example Northwestern. Probably a big reason they will always be mediocre unfortunately. I believe Nebraska is actually one of the ones towards the bottom for the BIG10. One ranking put Wisconsin at 16 in the country in terms of Academics, and Nebraska was 44.
Nebraska lost their AAU status a few years back. It was one of the main criteria they were admitted into the Big10 in the first place. My first alma mater is on the list (admitted the year before I started attending) but I'll be honest ... it never even registered with me. I don't think I even heard of the AAU until a couple of years ago.

One would think however, that for schools that demand such high academic excellence, not having a standard admissions criteria is odd. Money makes people (and institutions) do strange things.

Nebraska lost their AAU status a few years back. It was one of the main criteria they were admitted into the Big10 in the first place. My first alma mater is on the list (admitted the year before I started attending) but I'll be honest ... it never even registered with me. I don't think I even heard of the AAU until a couple of years ago.

One would think however, that for schools that demand such high academic excellence, not having a standard admissions criteria is odd. Money makes people (and institutions) do strange things.
They only lost their AAU status because the medical center, or nursing course, something to do with their medical program being at the University of Omaha not Lincoln. IIRC

I sshouldn't say only, reason, but it was a big reason

They only lost their AAU status because the medical center, or nursing course, something to do with their medical program being at the University of Omaha not Lincoln. IIRC
I don't buy that. IIRC several schools (e.g., CalTech, Carnegie Mellon) in the AAU don't even have medical schools.

I don't buy that. IIRC several schools in the AAU don't even have medical schools.
From a New York times article when it happened:

The university, the state’s flagship, had several factors working against it. Its medical school is under a separate administrative structure, so the research dollars it brings in are not counted by the association. And as a land-grant institution, Nebraska has about a quarter of its faculty involved in agriculture and extension work, and most financing for agricultural research is noncompetitive and so does not count heavily in the group’s ranking.

From a New York times article when it happened:
Several factors ... and it failed to make up for those shortcomings in other areas. It's not like this was news to them ... they had been in the AAU for over 100 years before being removed. It's on them ... not the AAU.

Several factors ... and it failed to make up for those shortcomings in other areas. It's not like this was news to them ... they had been in the AAU for over 100 years before being removed. It's on them ... not the AAU.
Did I say otherwise? I gave you information from a news source explaining what rhyno was talking about.

I can Google too.
Congratulations? I'm picking up some hostility that I can't understand as I simply provided information explaining a situation that was being discussed. I guess I should have known facts aren't welcome in the college football thread. My bad.

As much as this pains me I think Ohio State wins it all again. I love how Notre Dame is overrated again. Looking at their schedule I see at least 3 loses and that's not including Texas which I think is a toss up. I think Georgia, Ohio State, USC, and Auburn or Bama as the fourth team. I just hope Missouri can find a receiver so they go to a good bowl again this year. I think they finish second in the SEC east behind Georgia.
If 2 sec teams are put in and the acc/big12 are left out there will be an outcry.

If 2 sec teams are put in and the acc/big12 are left out there will be an outcry.
If the Big XII gets snubbed again they only have themselves to blame. They're going to try the same tactic they did last year (no conference championship) but this year supposedly "One True Champion" will actually mean "One True Champion". Still doesn't account for the fact that we now know the committee weighs a conference championship very heavily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back