Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 - THP Review Thread

Am I crazy or did Franks post get deleted?

For those of you hesitant about this club, what is your main reason?

he deleted it.

I can't decide what shaft I want to try.

Others beat me to the punch on the wrong tee topic. I didn't want to double post or derail the thread. (yeah, I ended up doing it here anyway:bashful: )

I think what Dean and I are getting at is being misconstrued a bit. There's no need to defend why you play one of these clubs, hell, both Dean and I do as well.

Facts are though, its very much a limited type of club for the vaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast majority out there that will pick it up. For most, its actually a one trick pony as its well established that it is not as viable off of the deck as a standard 3w, thats just a basic club design and trait fact, and I say that as someone who can obliterate this club off the deck. Callaway said from the start its a niche club, but we here at THP are a different breed and tend to flock-to/fit-into a lot of niche clubs like mini-drivers and even utility irons.

Play what works and what you like. I love this one, its not leaving my bag. But, I also believe MANY would be better suited to play a higher lofted driver at 43" or so.

I can't decide what shaft I want to try.
That's always a issue for me too lol. I dare say the stock kuro kage is a really good pairing. I ended up ordering the lz 6.5 blind, but the way I was hitting the xr 4w (see shaft at 43.5") I was pretty confident in it. I don't think I'd have issues with stock kuro kage as I was hitting it pretty well on the range at #theking

I think what Dean and I are getting at is being misconstrued a bit. There's no need to defend why you play one of these clubs, hell, both Dean and I do as well.

Facts are though, its very much a limited type of club for the vaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast majority out there that will pick it up. For most, its actually a one trick pony as its well established that it is not as viable off of the deck as a standard 3w, thats just a basic club design and trait fact, and I say that as someone who can obliterate this club off the deck. Callaway said from the start its a niche club, but we here at THP are a different breed and tend to flock-to/fit-into a lot of niche clubs like mini-drivers and even utility irons.

Play what works and what you like. I love this one, its not leaving my bag. But, I also believe MANY would be better suited to play a higher lofted driver at 43" or so.

bingo. And yes I have had a mini driver int he bag for a year now.

If it puts me in the fairway more, and I'm more comfortable swinging it as I typically am with a fwy wood, you can have those 10-15 yards. The course I normally play, using driver doesn't allow full swing approach shots on a whole lotta wholes, even if I move back a tee.
I'm a guy that can rock my 4w, and get probably 220-235 out of it on most swings, and often, more.
What I want is more reliability getting into FWYs. The other day, playing with Bill and Kelly, I didn't have a lot of FIR, but the most of the misses weren't that bad. What I want to do is move those 'not so terrible' ones the 5 yards back into the fairway and out of the first cut at least. If I can take the 12° and work it out to where I'm hitting it past the 4W and hitting more FWYs then I'm in.
Am I the guy that could benefit from this thing?

Honest question, why not look at the 14*?

I find it interesting that so many are automatically heading toward the 12*.

For a whole lot of am's, more loft and a little more spin are good things. Just an honest q here for anyone.

I'm a guy that can rock my 4w, and get probably 220-235 out of it on most swings, and often, more.
What I want is more reliability getting into FWYs. The other day, playing with Bill and Kelly, I didn't have a lot of FIR, but the most of the misses weren't that bad. What I want to do is move those 'not so terrible' ones the 5 yards back into the fairway and out of the first cut at least. If I can take the 12° and work it out to where I'm hitting it past the 4W and hitting more FWYs then I'm in.
Am I the guy that could benefit from this thing?
I think so :)

For a whole lot of am's, more loft and a little more spin are good things. Just an honest q here for anyone.
Personally I tested both 12 and 14 and I got the best carry and overall distance with 14 set to 15. So in essence I agree with you :)

I didn't seem to have a problem launching the 12 off the deck so that is the reason I went with it over the 14

Posted just for Dev using Tapatalk

I think so :)

Personally I tested both 12 and 14 and I got the best carry and overall distance with 14 set to 15. So in essence I agree with you :)

I didn't seem to have a problem launching the 12 off the deck so that is the reason I went with it over the 14

Posted just for Dev using Tapatalk

You two freaky big swingers aren't exactly my target with that Q. You're the exception...

Freaks.

:alien:

I have no use for one because of the type of game I play but I play my driver at 12 degrees so I would immediately look at the 14 degree. I guess it depends on someone's usual ball flight. If someone is playing a 9 degree driver and hits the ball low, the 12 might be a better fit. Just spitballing

i was considering 14* and if there was one available when I bought mine I would have. Impatience on my part but also knew I could loft up to 14*. I also had no intentions of hitting off deck. I am playing with it at 14 for first time this weekend.

Niche of not, it will be hard to knock this out of my bag. You cannot be beat middle of the fairway shot after shot

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Niche of not, it will be hard to knock this out of my bag. You cannot be beat middle of the fairway shot after shot

What is it about it that allows you to find more Fairways? Shorter shaft? If so, why not just trim your driver shaft?

What is it about it that allows you to find more Fairways? Shorter shaft? If so, why not just trim your driver shaft?
Dev for me I believe it is the confidence I have teeing the ball lower I know the motto is "tee it high and let it fly ". As I hit a very high ball that usually ends up in a ball with no roll at all. I have eve backspun drives and no they were not popped up they went my average distance. I average between 4500-4700 spin on drives. I know it is not ideal at all but I have to work with what I am given. With these I was hitting Lazers that were able to roll. It is really a win win for my game.

Dev for me I believe it is the confidence I have teeing the ball lower I know the motto is "tee it high and let it fly ". As I hit a very high ball that usually ends up in a ball with no roll at all. I have eve backspun drives and no they were not popped up they went my average distance. I average between 4500-4700 spin on drives. I know it is not ideal at all but I have to work with what I am given. With these I was hitting Lazers that were able to roll. It is really a win win for my game.

That's great man. I wasn't criticizing or anything. Just curious is all. I love when people do what you said, use what you got and make it work for you.

That's great man. I wasn't criticizing or anything. Just curious is all. I love when people do what you said, use what you got and make it work for you.
Thank you sir, the beauty of options of the equipment these days are top notch. From weights,mini drivers and lighter shafts it is really a tinkering man's glory. I am enjoying my learning experiences and enjoying the game more then ever.

Thank you sir, the beauty of options of the equipment these days are top notch. From weights,mini drivers and lighter shafts it is really a tinkering man's glory. I am enjoying my learning experiences and enjoying the game more then ever.

Enjoying the game is what it's all about because well...its a game. I still haven't hit a Mini but need to change that soon.

Enjoying the game is what it's all about because well...its a game. I still haven't hit a Mini but need to change that soon.
Well said, this community has opened my eyes in learning about these products. I have gained much needed advice and knowledge on here. I think you may really enjoy this offering as it is limitless.

Well said, this community has opened my eyes in learning about these products. I have gained much needed advice and knowledge on here. I think you may really enjoy this offering as it is limitless.

I just don't see where it fits in my bag. I am keeping an eye peeled for a LH Heavenwood on CPO...

I just don't see where it fits in my bag. I am keeping an eye peeled for a LH Heavenwood on CPO...
I too am pondering the heavenwood, experimenting with shafts atm in my hybrid. But people really are raving which has my attention pretty good.

Has anyone tested this club at 11° to either the TEE E8 tour adjustable or E8 Beta at 12° as a tee club ?
I think that would be a very interesting test, maybe Callaway or Tour Edge have done some comparisons.

Well there is good news and bad news for me on my mini driver. Good news: I should be receiving it today! Bad news: I'm having a medical procedure done this afternoon and won't get the chance to hit it for a week or so. Talk about bad timing. I guess at least I'll have something to look forward to.

Well there is good news and bad news for me on my mini driver. Good news: I should be receiving it today! Bad news: I'm having a medical procedure done this afternoon and won't get the chance to hit it for a week or so. Talk about bad timing. I guess at least I'll have something to look forward to.
Congrats on the first party and good luck with the second part.

Back