The Official 2015 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a feeling a contract extension is coming REALLY soon for TY Hilton. The numbers are going to scare me... I just know it. He will be overpaid, but he is a huge asset, so whatever.

Is he going to get Dez/Dem type money?

Listening to sports talk radio around here has been absolutely hilarious these past two days. You have these idiot jets fans calling in saying that this is good for the Jets because Fitzpatrick is a better QB. Then the hosts (who are also jets fans) gently remind the callers that Fitzpatrick's career record is something like 33-55-1 and he's known for starting down WRs and his inability to throw deep.
It's a good thing we are wasting money on a guy who can't play.

Haha,

Is he going to get Dez/Dem type money?

I have a scary feeling that he is.. Personally, I don't think he's worth anything near them two. I'd bet he gets 12-13mm a year though.

Crazy if they give him that much money. Especially after drafting a WR in the first round

Hilton and Colts agree to extension.

http://blogs.colts.com/

Posted by coltsindianapolis on August 13, 2015 – 7:46 am

The Indianapolis Colts today agreed to terms on an extension with wide receiver T.Y. Hilton.
“It’s a great day for the Indianapolis Colts, T.Y. Hilton and his family,” said Colts General Manager Ryan Grigson. “We’re extremely happy as an organization to ensure that T.Y. will continue to be a part of our journey for many years to come. His daily excellence on and off the field is a shining example of an individual striving for greatness and what it truly means to be a Colt.”

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter 1m1 minute ago
Colts gave WR T.Y. Hilton a five-year, $65 million deal, per source

Mike Garafolo@MikeGarafolo 1m1 minute ago
$39m in guarantees for Hilton

The Brady thing is headed to court I have a feeling. They want him to accept the Wells findings and admit he was at least partially responsible and he says he wasn't. Glad to see Kraft stand behind his guy and if were Brady and felt strongly about this, I would stand up to the league too. I have a feeling this is going to blow up in their face at some point down the road (whether with Brady or another player).

I understand the CBA and know what they can levy, but I do not and will not understand how they can punish a person, especially on a first time offense, when there is no certain proof that he was involved, or that it even took place. This seems like the most ridiculous thing I have seen in sports, outside of MLB as a salary issues as a whole in other leagues.

Remember when Brett Favre wouldnt comply with investigation? He got a 50k fine. Guilt or innocence has nothing to do with the conversation anymore. Because there is no guilt at this point, or even a "crime". He is being suspended 4 games for not complying with the league investigation. Favre got a 50k fine. Guys that skip drug tests dont immediately get 4 games. That is a league investigation as well.

Like him or hate him, this is an absolute travesty in terms of what is actually going on.

Here is the original testimony and they are asking him to reverse on this, which is not something anybody should do considering what is at stake.

From the documents
Question: During your whole career now, I want to be very clear about this, I am asking during your whole career, have you ever asked anyone from the Patriots to alter the footballs in any way after you've approved them?
Brady: No.

Q: Okay. Now, have you ever specifically, so again, very specific question, have you ever told anyone on the Patriots after you've given to them that they should change the inflation level of the footballs after you approved them or do anything about the inflation level after you approved them?
Brady: No.

Q: Now, what would be your reaction if [Patriots employee John] Jastremski or anyone else in the Patriots was doing something to the footballs after you've approved it? How would you feel about that?
Brady: I would disapprove of that.

Does anyone know why with the Patriots claiming that they did nothing wrong that they still have the 2 ball boys suspended without pay? Seems to me that they are fighting these charges to the fullest extent yet this is the only piece that doesn't add up and inline with their actions.

Does anyone know why with the Patriots claiming that they did nothing wrong that they still have the 2 ball boys suspended without pay? Seems to me that they are fighting these charges to the fullest extent yet this is the only piece that doesn't add up and inline with their actions.

Because the ball boy came forward and said suspend me, Brady had nothing to do with it. The facts are he played better (by a large margin) with balls that were properly filled vs those that they say were deflated. Conspiracy theorists and tin hat wearers are assuming that Brady was behind the ball boys. I find that hard to fathom as true legend in sports in the biggest spot, but really none of it matters as far as what is actually going on now.

People made up their mind without any facts on the case, because of what team he plays for. To be frank, I expect that with sports.

Yeah JB I completely agree that one of these things is going to blow up in the league's face eventually. The Commish seems to think he can do whatever he wants based on social media outrage, or how the wind blows that day. The lesser guys have to take it, a guy like Brady, not so much.

Well at the very least, they were a bit disparaging to their star player in texts that went public...so that could atleast be one argument.

But I still maintain, these guy are not doing anything without being told to do it, whether directly or indirectly. The fact that there is direct evidence in the Wells report that there was an expectation to be rewarded with paraphernalia by Brady, for their actions, seems to be forgotten in a lot of the pro-Brady arguments.

I don't think Brady wins in court regardless. Even if he's 100% innocent, this is the CBA the NFLPA agreed to.

And to add, the charges are not being fought really. I know nobody read the report (I did), but there are no charges to fight. The fight is about how the NFL handled this issue, despite having no proof at all, having a person that says he is of guilt and the fact that every other case like this, involved a fine only (non-compliance w/ investigation).

Because the ball boy came forward and said suspend me, Brady had nothing to do with it. The facts are he played better (by a large margin) with balls that were properly filled vs those that they say were deflated. Conspiracy theorists and tin hat wearers are assuming that Brady was behind the ball boys. I find that hard to fathom as true legend in sports in the biggest spot, but really none of it matters as far as what is actually going on now.

People made up their mind without any facts on the case, because of what team he plays for. To be frank, I expect that with sports.

I must have missed part of the story then because if the ball boys said "Brady had nothing to do with it", that would imply that the ball boys knew what they were doing and intentionally doing it but yet Kraft seems to be saying that the entire organization did nothing wrong. Guessing I missed something that would easily explain this - someone in your org intentionally tried to cheat or not. If no one did then they shouldn't be suspended.

I may be wrong here but I thought I read somewhere that they were taking and selling Patriots licensed merchandise. Who knows whether it was given to them or not but I did read that somewhere. I am definitely not saying they had nothing to do with this but that was part of the reason used for suspending them.

And to add, the charges are not being fought really. I know nobody read the report (I did), but there are no charges to fight. The fight is about how the NFL handled this issue, despite having no proof at all, having a person that says he is of guilt and the fact that every other case like this, involved a fine only (non-compliance w/ investigation).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5965863

Look up, I mentioned it.

Oops. Didnt see that part of your post. Well there is a link to the story at least. Haha

I see this as a bit different as he wasn't doing anything to impact the integrity of the game. Has there been anyone else that did something impacting ON the field results (potentially) that only got a fine?

The Minnesota Vikings
The offense: Vikings sideline attendants heated game balls during a cold November game.
The punishment: League warned teams of the rule prohibiting such acts.
What NFL VP of Officiating Dean Blandino said: “Yeah, you can’t do anything with the footballs in terms of any artificial, whether you’re heating them up, whether it’s a regular game ball or kicking ball, you can’t do anything to the football.”
The context: The Minnesota Vikings were caught on broadcast cameras using heaters to warm footballs in a game with a -7 degree wind chill.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...ams-players/lEeOhysBC1CRhN6XCnEI7M/story.html

I see this as a bit different as he wasn't doing anything to impact the integrity of the game. Has there been anyone else that did something impacting ON the field results (potentially) that only got a fine?

There is no proof that the integrity of the game was impacted. Balls were said to be lowered. Brady played better with different balls. Another person says he was fully responsible. Under oath Brady says no inolvement and for them to talk, he has to admit involvement (which is laughable if he believes his innocence).

But its not being argued. The levy based on the above is being argued.

What this means is that any time a player on any team gets questioned by the league and refuses to admit guilt or give up personal info, they can be suspended. That is a scary precedent in my opinion. Unique case for sure, but I urge anybody to read the Wells report in full and come out with a full thought of guilt or innocence and that suspension is not only necessary but warranted.

Hell, the Vikings got a warning for a near same violation.

The Minnesota Vikings
The offense: Vikings sideline attendants heated game balls during a cold November game.
The punishment: League warned teams of the rule prohibiting such acts.
What NFL VP of Officiating Dean Blandino said: “Yeah, you can’t do anything with the footballs in terms of any artificial, whether you’re heating them up, whether it’s a regular game ball or kicking ball, you can’t do anything to the football.”
The context: The Minnesota Vikings were caught on broadcast cameras using heaters to warm footballs in a game with a -7 degree wind chill.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...ams-players/lEeOhysBC1CRhN6XCnEI7M/story.html

I was just about to post this one. Another perfect example. This was a witch hunt based on fan back lash about an iconic figure in the game due to his skill and nothing more. Its laughable in every sense of the word.

Makes sense - thanks for that Vikings info Dev and the explanation JB. Agree on the precedent being set...

What this means is that any time a player on any team gets questioned by the league and refuses to admit guilt or give up personal info, they can be suspended.
Doesn't the NFL commish work pretty much at the pleasure of the owners? If enough of that happens wouldn't they tell him to go packing? Got to imagine Goodell burnt his bridge with Kraft ... if he does that a few more times I imagine he won't be much longer for the NFL.

TY Hilton got exactly what I expected.

5 years 65 million. $39MM guaranteed.

TY Hilton got exactly what I expected.

5 years 65 million. $39MM guaranteed.
This is something I always think about when I see a player get his first big contract, does their performance continue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back