Nike VR Full Cavity or Calloway x-22's

Toppers

Reaction score
Handicap
Looking to upgrade and at this point am considering these sets of irons. Any opinions out there? Mid handicapper 13-14, do not shape the ball much intentionally, now hitting TM 200's 7 iron 145 yds.

Mid capper? or 36 capper?

Im partial to nike, because ive always liked their product. But both sets are great and I doubt you could find much wrong in either

We have reviewed both sets here at THP and both received favorable reviews in testing. However if it were me and only me and I had to choose one set of those two to use, I would choose the X-22s. To me they have a better feel and a little more forgiveness out on the toe where many amateurs get a few misses.

I would have to agree with JB here...I played the VRs for a bit. Not my favorite

oh and I have to throw in there that I love my Cleveland BP's

I was at GG yesterday and am looking to upgrade from my Ping G-10's. I am looking at Mizuno's, Titleist and yes...even Maltby's. The fitter I spoke with immediatley took me to the Nike VR's although they were not the full cavity's. Told me (in his opinion) they are one of the best out there. His son is a local amateur champion and wanted to get Mizuno blades. His father talked him out of it and went with the Nike's. The son loves them.

Try them all and see what a fitter recommends and what feels good to you.

I was at GG yesterday and am looking to upgrade from my Ping G-10's. I am looking at Mizuno's, Titleist and yes...even Maltby's. The fitter I spoke with immediatley took me to the Nike VR's although they were not the full cavity's. Told me (in his opinion) they are one of the best out there. His son is a local amateur champion and wanted to get Mizuno blades. His father talked him out of it and went with the Nike's. The son loves them.

Try them all and see what a fitter recommends and what feels good to you.

I play the split cavities so my opinion may be biased, but after testing nearly 50 sets of clubs these were by FAR the best feeling cavity back clubs I have ever played, and once I got my fitting debacle under control I have never been able to strike the ball so well.

I have played both and currently play the VR FC's. They are very similar but the Nike's seem to have a little better appearance at setup for me, better feel at impact and just seemed to work better for me. The X-22's do seem a touch more forgiving out on the toe, but my misses are towards the heel so it didn't matter to me. I also didn't care for the uni-flex shaft that came in the X-22's. I found the VR FC's with KBS Tour shafts in them, which of course makes my comparison not stock vs stock.

To be honest though it is almost impossible to go wrong either way.

I would put my vote to the 22'. They seem more forgiving, as well as a smoother feel. I found the VR's were a little harder and clickier compared to the Callaways.

I would put my vote to the 22'. They seem more forgiving, as well as a smoother feel. I found the VR's were a little harder and clickier compared to the Callaways.

i couldn't agree more! obviously, i ended up with the 22's but the VR's were part of the demo process for me. i liked them, but they didn't have the feel that the 22's offered. both are great and i believe you'll be happy just so long as you get what you want.

I like your putter Islander! Not meaning to thread hop but just eyeballed it. I love center shafts.

ok back to the thread. My vote would be the X22's.

I previously had the X-18s and now have the VR Full Cavity irons. Here are my thoughts:

- The Callaways are probably more forgiving of mishits -- especially with the longer irons. I'm a 4 handicap and find the VR 4-iron to be a challenge at time.
- The Nikes, however, have a much better shaft in them than my old X-18s. The uniflex shaft, in my opinion, tries to be everything for everyone, but too often is not enough for most players. I don't have a super fast swing speed and the uniflex bordered on being not stiff enough for me and I had to work to ensure I didn't hook everything off of the planet.
- I also like the more traditional look of the Nikes and the smaller amount of offset.
- I find the Nikes to be much more accurate/straighter. Some of that, obviously, is the result of a better fitting shaft.

Nike VR full cavs with the TT Dynamic Gold High Launch shafts are probably the best club ever for a mid-high handi. This is of course my opinion.

Back