Graphite vs Steel Iron Shafts

caseyrc

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm just curious as to what iron shaft everyone is using whether it be graphite or steel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steel on everything but my driver and my 3 wood.

Right now, graphite across the board in everything but my wedges.
That will most likely change coming up soon. I love both, switched to give myself some relief in my joints, but can do either and do not notice any falling behind with either type. With the right play, both can be very rewarding.

I have SteelFiber shafts for my irons, 60 grams, stiff. Never looked back.

Steel in wedges and irons, graphite in hybrids, woods and driver. I see me going all graphite on my next set of irons.

Graphite from driver to LW. Aging prompted me to go to graphite in iron set and wedges and I have seen no drop off in my game as a result of the switch in December 2014. The biggest positive of the switch for me is that I have not had to miss any time from the course due to flare ups in arthritis in my upper arms. Was only able to play about 50% of the rounds I normally play last year because of this.

All graphite. edit: except putter

Last edited:
All steel in irons, but I've started thinking of at least trying graphite with all the great options. Don't think I've ever even hit a graphite shafted iron.

Aerotechs in my irons. KBS steel in my wedges. Graphite is the best decision I've ever made for my golf game (and my achy joints)

Steel right now, but I would like to make the move to graphite with my next set (hopefully Callaway Big Bertha Irons).

Steel right now. Have had graphite before and might again in the future.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Graphite in everything but wedges and putter. Matrix program f15 120g in my irons and I absolutely love them. Helps with wrist pain too

I used Aerotechs in irons for years, but have gravitated to Recoil 95, which have better feel and slightly lower flight for me.

Why? Less shock, longevity in the game and consistency.

The only steel I have is in the 3 wedges - KBS.

Steel currently. DG Pro S300's to be exact. Some of the new graphite options definitely intrigue me, but the ones I would be interested in don't come standard in anything and are a lot of $$$ extra. I have 0 problem with steel at the moment.

Putter is the only club with a steel shaft at the moment. I have gone back and forth, but prefer graphite by a large margin.

I played mostly graphite last year, back to steel this year. Honestly the graphite options out now are really good and high quality. Cost is the only thing that keeps it out of my bag all the way through. I can play both without hesitation.

graphite in d-h, steel in everything else. i've hit steelfiber and recoil and didn't love either, although the numbers were pretty good. i'll keep swinging steel unless something significantly outperforms AND feels better. it's not an ego thing, it's just a preference in feel. and $$$.

Like others I have graphite in all my clubs, except for my wedges and putter. I will be switching out my wedges before long.

Currently steel with a move to graphite in the near future.

D,3w and hyrbid are
Irons, wedges and putter are steel.

Graphite seems more customizable. Have never hit a graphite shafted iron

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk

Graphite in all except wedges. Have pondered swapping them out too.

Right now, graphite across the board in everything but my wedges.
That will most likely change coming up soon. I love both, switched to give myself some relief in my joints, but can do either and do not notice any falling behind with either type. With the right play, both can be very rewarding.

Just like JB said, this is my set up. And almost the the same reason and outcome.

Strange, I've just been fitted for a new set of iron with graphite shafts and took my old irons with steel shafts back home to the UK. I played with them while back and I've never hit them so well ever (began to think why did I bother with new). Back in the USA and playing with my new irons and I'm hitting them better than ever too.

Happy I changed over, but it looks like I can play with either and still be happy with the outcome while doing it.

I played mostly graphite last year, back to steel this year. Honestly the graphite options out now are really good and high quality. Cost is the only thing that keeps it out of my bag all the way through. I can play both without hesitation.

Same here for me. Mainly, the graphite weight I want is just really expensive right now, so I will be headed back to steel for a while.

Love them both though, have had no problems finding shafts that fit in steel or graphite though.

I still have the C.Kuas in the irons I have now. I am leaning towards steel in my next set however depending on my wrist. I love the graphite shafts these days.

Everything in my bag save for my putter has graphite shafts and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Back