Callaway Great Big Bertha Fairway Wood Preview Thead

I like a 5 wood, but the Heavenwood in slightly heavier shaft can go 42.5 inches (same as 5 wd) and you have a higher flying fairway. Depends on the gapping. If you are using one fairway, then the 5 wood at 17 deg is a good choice. You could do Heavenwood in a slightly heavier shaft at less length and 22 degrees - depending on what you have after the 5 wd.

Desmond,
Thanks for all the input in the recent posts.

If I do buy one I think the 5w is the way to go for me. I really struggled with the length of the HW and honestly on most shots it was not much longer than my Exotics Trilogy 20* hybrid (maybe 5-7 yds). Not enough to really warrant it in the bag especially with all the duffs and mishits I saw from it. The hybrid at -1" is pretty easy to manage for me.

Right now I put a G20 5w in the bag at 41” and I am seeing around 200 on a pure strike which gives me enough gapping with my 20* hybrid (190-ish).
If I made the switch to the GBB 5w it would be purely just to try something new as the G20 is totally serviceable right now. The GBB at 17* might be a little longer off the tee than the G20 so this is a good recommendation.

I might try taking my g20 5w in and compare it and see what kind of numbers I get between it and the GBB 5w. As for both a 5w and a HW at 22* I just don't have room in the bag for two fairway woods. I hit my hybrids too well to remove one of those. And my Smart Sole C that I added recently isn't going anywhere.

Desmond,
Thanks for all the input in the recent posts.

If I do buy one I think the 5w is the way to go for me. I really struggled with the length of the HW and honestly on most shots it was not much longer than my Exotics Trilogy 20* hybrid (maybe 5-7 yds). Not enough to really warrant it in the bag especially with all the duffs and mishits I saw from it. The hybrid at -1" is pretty easy to manage for me.

Right now I put a G20 5w in the bag at 41” and I am seeing around 200 on a pure strike which gives me enough gapping with my 20* hybrid (190-ish).
If I made the switch to the GBB 5w it would be purely just to try something new as the G20 is totally serviceable right now. The GBB at 17* might be a little longer off the tee than the G20 so this is a good recommendation.

I might try taking my g20 5w in and compare it and see what kind of numbers I get between it and the GBB 5w. As for both a 5w and a HW at 22* I just don't have room in the bag for two fairway woods. I hit my hybrids too well to remove one of those. And my Smart Sole C that I added recently isn't going anywhere.

Hey, I am with you -- the Heavenwood is tempting, especially with all the feedback here, but the 5 wood makes sense for my game.

As to the differences between the V Series and GBB fairway, the summary I received from Callaway is that the GBB is more forgiving, is a lower spin head, is coupled to a lower spin shaft, and I think the GBB 3 wd is huge heel to toe.

Well, here are my questions to Callaway in their Community, and their response by the Admin (Mr. Naydelman ... sorry for the formality) is in bold.

-As to the GBB fairways, how do they compare with the V Series in terms of launch, playability and forgiveness? More forgiving, not as low of profile, so a bit less spin, similar high launch.

-Is the hyper-face hotter than last year? They have the same cup face technology which takes it right up to the COR limit, however, with a lightly larger footprint your margin for error will a bit bigger with GBB fairways.

-Is the head and stock shaft less spinnie than the V Series? Definitely Yes to both of those.

-As to the Alpha 816, they look a tad bigger with a composite head. Correct, it is slightly larger than the 815 fairway

-How forgiving are they besides more than last year? With the weight in the back, the 816 fairway actually has the highest MOI of all of our fairways. Its really good.

-Can a player without a lot of speed (under 100) but a good swing still launch them easily? The 16* or 18* yes, especially with the opti-fit hosel.

-Should that player use the Rogue 70 or Go with the KK Black 50 TINI? The KK black would be a better choice for speeds under 100.

-Will the 16 launch easier than the 14? Most definitely yes, without a doubt. Many players hit 4 woods farther than 3 woods because the extra loft and spin gives higher ball flight and more carry.

-I listened to a Callaway Vid that stated the 16 degree was the most forgiving in the lineup with the weight in back... hmmm? FACT!!!!

Soooo....

Something shipped today....

Could be, Heavenly.

lmao your patience level is below 0.

For a skimmer...What irons do the heaven and divine equate to?

Clubs more than a 3 and 4 iron equivalent, respectively, is my guesstimate.

Clubs more than a 3 and 4 iron equivalent, respectively, is my guesstimate.

I would say the heavenwood replaced my 3 hybrid. Gave me a higher flight, more consistency, and easier distance. I say easier because it was easier to hit the distance without having to go hard at it.

Soooo....

Something shipped today....

Could be, Heavenly.
Going to beat them with their own stuff. Love it.

229 out on the last par 5 and hit the Heavenwood to pin high (big bounce at front of the green) to a middle pin. Wanted something to fly high and this was just perfect. Still prefer the glossy look of the last version, but this head looks perfect outside of that. There is such confidence playing with this club from nearly any lie for me right now.

The GBB makes my 815 look like a olden days club. I was pounded it 15-18 yards further and might I add a higher trajectory as well. I am in serious seriously ponder mode. It blew my socks off,which is hard to do. That is saying so much.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks Dean. I have never hit anything but a 3/4wood so I will have to give this a try next time I see one. The covert is the club I use least because I will opt for a choked 3 wood because of ease.

229 out on the last par 5 and hit the Heavenwood to pin high (big bounce at front of the green) to a middle pin. Wanted something to fly high and this was just perfect. Still prefer the glossy look of the last version, but this head looks perfect outside of that. There is such confidence playing with this club from nearly any lie for me right now.
This is precisely why I'm amped up for mine to arrive. Bigger better heavenlier Bertha.

Those are amazing

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

I played on Tuesday had a shot 220 to middle of green pulled the Heaven wood hit a nice high shot that landed on the front of the green and rolled out about 10ft, that's on firm greens in drought ridden Southern California. I am really loving this club this is the best I have hit any fairway wood in years. May need to look really hard at the 3 wood. I'm thinking the 3 set to 16* and the Heaven wood at 20* would be about perfect..

That is kind of how I am rolling right now.

That is kind of how I am rolling right now.
Going to have to give these a look. Going to be tough to knock the X2Hot 3 & 5 Deep out of my bag though. They are just so solid for me.

Would still like to hear how this HW compares to the older version and also the 816. Might be time to call Callaway and get to GG and take a gander

Would still like to hear how this HW compares to the older version and also the 816. Might be time to call Callaway and get to GG and take a gander
I might try to get to Neshanic when I'm in North Jersey to see the stuff. He usually has more of the shaft offerings.

Oh the Devine 9 sounds well....
Devine...

This is like music to my ears. Are you playing it at 20*? What shaft do you have in it?

Back