Glove Testing Round #1

The SciFlex turns into a chamois in hot weather, thanks. I quit using mine because it was literally soaking wet when I played. You might try the WeatherSof. I have not had any of those issues with it and I've played in some pretty major heat lately. It's a bit early to say, but the Bionic Pro seemed good today.

+1 on the pro. im testing it as well and seems to do very well in heat/humid conditions still have more testing to do though. i will have another report here in a couple days.

i'm with thanks, i've been keenly reading all of these so i can narrow down a possible glove for me. i've never really worn one and i'm sure i'm missing out on something. it's gonna be tough to find a starting point b/c it seems as though everyone likes, if not both, at least one of their gloves.

thanks for all the pics and write ups guys, you're all doing an awesome job.

Pow Glove and Adidas Exert

Pow Glove and Adidas Exert

Finally got everything together

Glove One Pow Noonan L

Looks and Feel = made with soft Japanese grain cut leather it is really soft i love the way the argyle looks but im a big fan of argyle. The black inserts add a great contrast to the white and blue. The leather is really soft and the inserts stretch to provide a great fit.

Functionality = There are great little add on's to this glove that i am really happy with there is a tab on the wrist that is made to help you pull the glove on. Its very lightweight and there is a lot of grip on this glove. I didnt test this with my short game but im playing 18 tomorrow should get the run down.

Sizing = This glove started a little small but did stretch to fit after i began sweating a little bit.

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

Glove two Adidas Exert

Look and Feel = wow this glove looks incredible the two tone cabretta leather looks amazing and highlighted by the red mesh inserts it really stands out. the leather is really soft and in my practice round i had no problem with grip however i wasnt out very long. I did find however this glove doesn't inhibit my short game touch as much as others have.

Functionality = There is a little rubber tab that helps tighten the tab. It helps keep this together its really useful especially since i seem to tear this area quite frequently. i also find that this glove didn't stretch as much as some other types.

Sizing = this glove fit really well it didnt stretch to become too big and didnt shrink either so it wears really well

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

hey sorry this is a little later then everyone else. I was planning on doing everything then posting it but JB sent me a PM.

• Before I get into my reviews of the gloves I thought I would talk a little about myself. From conversations and experiences with other people I’ve learned that sometimes my thought processes are a little hard to follow. Now this isn’t a college research paper but I figured the more information you have the better. I usually play the Footjoy SofJoy glove. My grandfather introduced me to the game and he loved footjoy products so naturally all of my gloves and shoes were and still are footjoy products. I still use footjoy products partly because I’m used to them and also because of the comfort level they provide. I love Footjoy shoes so I don’t plan on looking around at any time. However I do have a little problem with their gloves, specifically durability. I can get maybe 5 rounds of golf and 3 range sessions before I get a hole in the palm of the glove. I’m not sure about how normal this is compared with other players but from everyone I play with they can use a glove for 20+ rounds(again not sure if this is normal or not). This could be due to my grip strength and swing speed. When I’m teeing off or hitting anything above a sand-wedge I grip the club rather tightly. Also I have a rather high swing speed. I won’t get into what speeds those are because I’m not sure how accurate the machines I’ve been tested on are and also how well they translate to the range and course. Suffice it to say, it’s a lot faster then I should be able to swing and probably should swing because I’m sure it has caused several miss hits. For this review I’m planning on just simple writing my thoughts down in order to which I inspect the glove. At the end of the process I’ll probably make some cliff notes because it will probably end up being rather long.

2aikmfr.jpg

(4 rounds 3 range sessions)

:mizuno: Retroflex - Full Cabretta - Size MediumLarge - Mens Left Hand

• For whatever reason I’ve always had a fascination with Mizuno products (the look of their MP 67 and 68 ) but I have never purchased any. The gloves packaging is flashy enough to catch your eye while cruising the glove isle at your golf store of choice. Good looking enough to catch your eye but not over the top enough so that it makes you think they’re trying to sell you on the packaging and not the glove. The back of the package is cluttered and that is a big turn off. When I’m thinking about buying something I want quick bullet points(yes I notice the irony)and clearly organized .There are two pictures of the gloves fit and under each is a brief passage describing the picture…in four different languages(English, Spanish, French, German .) Their website address is in a prominent location so that even if you don’t purchase the glove you might give their website a visit and The single black stripe across the knuckles looks ok, but I don’t understand why the stripe on the fingers does not match. Is this just an accident or was it designed. The look stretch areas of the glove aren’t hidden well, which kind of makes it look a bit old generation technology. Some of the stitching in the stretchy area is rather visible. Although that I don’t understand some of the esthetic designs but I do like the simplicity to it. I know Taylormade makes (or did make) a glove with different colored fingers. I really like the glove’s strap, and logo. It’s crisp, clean and I’ve always been in the school of thought, “less is more”. Opening the glove the Velcro isn’t really loud and annoying like some gloves I’ve used. The glove's fit is very tight. The tips of the fingers are really tight plus the seams of the glove are really noticeable. The tip of the thumb is also really tight; the base of the thumb though has a very nice comfortable fit. The palm of the glove also has a comfortable fit however the back of the hand is where most of the tight fit comes from the top of the glove over the back of the hand. Even when you undo the glove it is still rather tight. The size of the glove says Medium Large so that could be why the fit could be tighter then I’m used to with Footjoy’s size large gloves. I really like what they did with the black stripes which are composed of a breathable material. However like I mentioned above I don’t understand why they only have it on the top set of knuckles and only 3 of the 4 middle knuckles and none of the bottom knuckles. Which really doesn’t make sense because the three fingers from the left do not have any little breathe holes like you would find on most gloves(and it doesn’t make sense because the index finger has them all the way down. I’m concerned that the lack of breathability will cause some extra moisture to accumulate in the tips of the fingers. I don’t think it will affect the grip on the club but it might get a little annoying. After I took the glove off it felt like I was still wearing it, probably just some pain from the tightness of the glove. I think the problems I have with the tightness might be alleviated once I work it in a little bit at the range. The glove is short enough that you could get away with wearing a trion-z band or a livestrong type band but if you like to wear a watch it probably wouldn’t work. The glove is rather hard to take off.

tat309.jpg

25jcc9z.jpg

316t09f.jpg

2h2fgxh.jpg

2ykf28h.jpg

mmvnfl.jpg

bh0ksw.jpg

sb78ua.jpg

hur7r9.jpg

fdsyo1.jpg

28jxheb.jpg

11iob3b.jpg

fe4djc.jpg

:srixon: Hi-Brid - Size Large - Mens left hand

• The packaging of the Srixon glove is a bit dull. If you weren’t looking for it or perusing the glove isle intently you might miss it. Little bit of puffery from the statements on the front of the glove’s package. Especially considering it boasts superior durability while also being the “softest feeling glove in golf”. The back of the package is exactly what I look for. It is well organized , in bullet points, and only in one language. Also I found the fitting instructions very helpful. Also I can’t remember if I’ve ever seen it on another glove package. The first thing that caught my eye when I first took the glove out of the package was that my hands are going to get really sweaty because there aren’t any breathing holes in the fingers(I’ve never found sweaty hounds to be very comfortable). However about five seconds later when I looked closer I realized that instead of putting them on the tops of the fingers, they put them on the sides of the fingers. I think what they were going for is to try and create a cross breeze in the fingers (which is very appealing to me because I can get rather sweaty hands during play). The thought being that sometimes the wind will get in through the tops of the glove but there will be little too no circulation inside of the glove. Looking even closer I see arch slits over all of the middle knuckles of the glove. I like this because as I stated earlier I enjoy the classic looks of a golf glove over the flashy ones. However something that really worries me is that the thumb is solid material, there aren’t any holes or slits. I guess maybe the extra air holes surrounding the strap are supposed to compensate for this. The stretchy area of the glove is well hidden. You can see a little bit of it at the base of the glove however the strap and air holes surrounding it draw your attention away from the stretch material. I really am not a fan of the look on the palm and underside of the glove. All of the texturing and grooving makes me think of a gardening glove. However looks are only part of the equation and the grooving has really caught my interests. Durability has always been an issue for me and the grooving could cut down on the amount of friction and distribute the force evenly over the entire palm of the glove. Of course friction is more of a local area phenomena and isn’t the same thing as impact but you never know. Opening up the glove the Velcro is not as loud as you usually get with most velcros. The glove has a very comfortable fit. The only problem is the glove feels slightly bulky on my fingers. It reminds me a lot of what a WR glove feels like (for those of you who played football). There is a little extra room in the tips of the index, middle, and pinky finger. The seams and stitching on the sides of the fingers are noticeable at first however after about 10 seconds of wearing them you can’t feel them anymore. When you make a fist (or grip your clubs) the slits on the knuckles expand large enough to create good airflow. I really like what they did with that design. Sometimes you have to sacrifice look for functionality but they have found a great middle ground so they really don’t have to sacrifice either. My only problem is why didn’t they do it on the bottom knuckles as well? They can easily hide the holes so why not do the whole finger? I decided to test my air flow theory so I put my gloved hand in front of a portable fan. It gets really cool and there is great air flow. If you play a lot in hot and or humid climates this would be a great glove, or to put it another way you wouldn’t have to worry about it with this glove. After a couple minutes of wearing the glove you really start to notice the tips of the fingers, and I’ll come back to it again it feels like a WR(football) glove. But other than that the glove has a really comfortable fit. The glove is a little long so you can get away with wearing a livestrong type of band but a trion-z band or watch probably would get in the way of your swing.

v6ssqr.jpg

29qfokw.jpg

21j94s9.jpg

fn7dyc.jpg

6ojymh.jpg

2vljx9l.jpg

35b6uza.jpg

2qsc3k9.jpg

5cgm1l.jpg

2uhbgw8.jpg

bgpmdx.jpg

8vzx4o.jpg

wlr4hs.jpg

2mme5hg.jpg

14xdq1i.jpg

The srixon glove looks similar to the Spidr2. Any similarities?

Ill pay close attention to that for ya on my round today (maybe tomorrow , depending on clouds). I sweat some and the StaSof is awesome so far, although its indoors. Just the fingers get a lil stretchy but the fit around the hand is perfect (I wear M/L).

I actually hated the StaSof in hot weather. I felt the sweat would leave stains on the back of the glove after a while. My choice for hot days was the WeatherSof.

The srixon glove looks similar to the Spidr2. Any similarities?

I'm not sure, the Spidr2 is made with their Digita Tac™ Response leather while the the HI-brid is made with "new embossed processed cabretta leather.

Finally got everything together

Glove One Pow Noonan L

Looks and Feel = made with soft Japanese grain cut leather it is really soft i love the way the argyle looks but im a big fan of argyle. The black inserts add a great contrast to the white and blue. The leather is really soft and the inserts stretch to provide a great fit.

Functionality = There are great little add on's to this glove that i am really happy with there is a tab on the wrist that is made to help you pull the glove on. Its very lightweight and there is a lot of grip on this glove. I didnt test this with my short game but im playing 18 tomorrow should get the run down.

Sizing = This glove started a little small but did stretch to fit after i began sweating a little bit.

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

Man I love that glove... and the all black argyle version. If you like it, I think it might be my next glove

if you want im playing a round tomorrow ill make sure to get it worked real good and come back with a full review and let you know how it plays and how durable it is.

I took the StaySof out for a round yesterday. It was a cool 105 and there was a cloud in the sky when I began play. Ha, some clouds showed up towards the end along with some wind....

Anyway, here are my thoughts:

Durability:
I didn't have any cracks in the glove at all. Which I'm used too from other gloves. It was wierd the finger stretching I had in the practice sessions seemed to go away with the heat. It was a little humid because of the rain we had earlier in the day but the sun was still pretty scorching. There was some slight discoloration which is normal.

Feel:
It seems to be on the thinner side and that really helped with the heat. It's AZ heat so a little different than some areas but it was awesome. My hands weren't sweaty when I was putting after I took the glove off. I take my glove off to chip and putt. You know when you put on a shirt in the morning, then throughout the day it gets looser? Well that didn't happen with this glove. Same fit the whole round which helped with consistancy of feel.

Performance:
It just happened to probably be my best ball striking day ever but you feel alot of feedback with this glove. Bad ball strikes and fat shots are harsh. I think that's one part I'm adjusting too. But I'm also able to fix things as a result of getting the feedback. Its a catch 22 with that really. My forearm and wrist have been sore.

The glove doesnt warp so you can expect consistantcy. I absolutely love the fact you get the same feel on the grip throughout the round. This has been a huge help to me. Sweat didn't accumulate with this glove for me. It became a little damp at first but didn't get soggy or uncomfortable. In fact it was pretty much the same as when I started just a tad damper.

Overall:
Very pleased. I have a few more practice sessions this week and then next week I will be trying the other glove. But after that Ill alternate weeks. I can tell you right now Im loving this glove. Lightweight and great feel. I'm still adjusting to the harsh feedback and thats the only thing I can say that might hurt the glove for me long term. I love feedback but I also like being pain free! People with more consistant swings might benefit from the awesome feel more than I.

Ill have to keep an eye out for it. When I took it on the course yesterday it performed beautifully for me. It has some disloration but not more than Im used too. I will def look to see when I get home what it looks like.
I actually hated the StaSof in hot weather. I felt the sweat would leave stains on the back of the glove after a while. My choice for hot days was the WeatherSof.

Another day with my two gloves

Another day with my two gloves

OK, first I have to say that this will probably be my last report on the gloves for a bit. My tendonitis in my wrist is acting up (too much AutoCAD for projects lately) and I don't want to have a bad enough episode that I will be forced to sit out from golf for weeks and not be 1000% for the Fall THP Extravaganza.

That being said, I've played 4 rounds of golf with the gloves as of this morning and hit about 150 balls with each glove so I think I have enough information to say without a doubt that I really like the Bionic Pro and really, really dislike the Bionic Performance.

The Pro has worn comfortably for all my rounds and been cool/comfy considering the saunas (CT and Houston) and the convection oven (Las Vegas, where I am today) I've been playing in. I would definitely purchase this glove. Probably a men's small though as the palm of the ladies xl is still pretty tight, but it has loosened a bit with play.

The Performance is great idea that hasn't been executed very well. All the joint stitching for flexibility just doesn't work for me. It causes the fingers to bunch up at the joints and the thickness from all the padding makes it feel like I have an oven mitt on. I can't feel the ball and club head contact very well through it. And it doesn't look that attractive on my hand either. The only thing I really like about the Performance is the wicking of moisture away from my hand. All the terry cloth inside does a fantastic job of keeping my hand and the glove dry.

My major complaint with both gloves is the construction. It is cheap compared to other gloves in that price point. Excess material isn't closely trimmed away and with all the extra stitching going on, it needs to be. Also, the stitching on the Performance glove is coming undone in many places. The Pro's palm stitching is coming undone a bit too but not as bad as the Performance gloves. The leather around all the inserts is fraying pretty quickly too on the Performance.

So, there you have it! We have a winner in performance on the course/with a club (Bionic Pro) and a loser (Bionic Performance) and we have double concern in construction.

I'll post pictures in this report either really late tonight when I get home from Vegas or first thing tomorrow. I packed the gloves away and already zip tied my travel cover for TSA before I thought to take pictures (DOH!)

Awesome stuff! Hope your wrist gets all healed up for the outing. Thats funny you mention the Vegas heat as convection. I loved how you described the type of heat in these parts! Its so true!

Good to hear about the bionic gloves. I am always temped to check them out but I need something that wont come apart.
OK, first I have to say that this will probably be my last report on the gloves for a bit. My tendonitis in my wrist is acting up (too much AutoCAD for projects lately) and I don't want to have a bad enough episode that I will be forced to sit out from golf for weeks and not be 1000% for the Fall THP Extravaganza.

That being said, I've played 4 rounds of golf with the gloves as of this morning and hit about 150 balls with each glove so I think I have enough information to say without a doubt that I really like the Bionic Pro and really, really dislike the Bionic Performance.

The Pro has worn comfortably for all my rounds and been cool/comfy considering the saunas (CT and Houston) and the convection oven (Las Vegas, where I am today) I've been playing in. I would definitely purchase this glove. Probably a men's small though as the palm of the ladies xl is still pretty tight, but it has loosened a bit with play.

The Performance is great idea that hasn't been executed very well. All the joint stitching for flexibility just doesn't work for me. It causes the fingers to bunch up at the joints and the thickness from all the padding makes it feel like I have an oven mitt on. I can't feel the ball and club head contact very well through it. And it doesn't look that attractive on my hand either. The only thing I really like about the Performance is the wicking of moisture away from my hand. All the terry cloth inside does a fantastic job of keeping my hand and the glove dry.

My major complaint with both gloves is the construction. It is cheap compared to other gloves in that price point. Excess material isn't closely trimmed away and with all the extra stitching going on, it needs to be. Also, the stitching on the Performance glove is coming undone in many places. The Pro's palm stitching is coming undone a bit too but not as bad as the Performance gloves. The leather around all the inserts is fraying pretty quickly too on the Performance.

So, there you have it! We have a winner in performance on the course/with a club (Bionic Pro) and a loser (Bionic Performance) and we have double concern in construction.

I'll post pictures in this report either really late tonight when I get home from Vegas or first thing tomorrow. I packed the gloves away and already zip tied my travel cover for TSA before I thought to take pictures (DOH!)

Maybe I missed it, but is there much of a difference between the Pro and the Performance gloves? I have a pink Bionic glove (not sure which one it is though) but I really like it. Padding in all the right spots!

hey gc i am reviewing them as well but the mens version (basically same gloves expect for size) you can check out my initial review a few pages back(page 5).. i found there to be a difference for sure. i prefer the pro so far, performance to bulky in the finger areas for me..

POW NOONAN PLAYING REVIEW
Ok took the POW Noonan out for a round today. It was around 97* out today and beach weather humidity. I played Rivers Edge which is a Arnold Palmer course. First things first, this glove ran a little small to size but did seem to stretch in my first practice session however today it appears that the stretching compromised the integrity of the glove. The glove held up wonderfully for the conditions it was played in i wear pants always and under armour heat gear shirts to block the sun ( i have skin cancer). the Noonan didnt lose grip all day and the thin leather didnt really compromise any of my touch. i played some short game shots with it, however i never wear a glove to putt. Just after the turn is where i encountered problems with the glove. it hot weather once you take your hand out and leave it out for a while it shrinks...ALOT...this became a problem as by the 12th hole i ripped part of the elastic seam on the inside. The palm however took a beating. it held up well through most of the round but as the day got hotter and i began to sweat a little more it really began to cave in and by the end of the day the hole in the cuff wasn't the only hole in the glove. The fingers held up throughout the round, but with the main part of the glove compromised it was really hard to trust it. i have issues with it's durability after a 45 min. practice session and one round it is being reduced to a range glove.

POW NOONAN PLAYING REVIEW
Ok took the POW Noonan out for a round today. It was around 97* out today and beach weather humidity. I played Rivers Edge which is a Arnold Palmer course. First things first, this glove ran a little small to size but did seem to stretch in my first practice session however today it appears that the stretching compromised the integrity of the glove. The glove held up wonderfully for the conditions it was played in i wear pants always and under armour heat gear shirts to block the sun ( i have skin cancer). the Noonan didnt lose grip all day and the thin leather didnt really compromise any of my touch. i played some short game shots with it, however i never wear a glove to putt. Just after the turn is where i encountered problems with the glove. it hot weather once you take your hand out and leave it out for a while it shrinks...ALOT...this became a problem as by the 12th hole i ripped part of the elastic seam on the inside. The palm however took a beating. it held up well through most of the round but as the day got hotter and i began to sweat a little more it really began to cave in and by the end of the day the hole in the cuff wasn't the only hole in the glove. The fingers held up throughout the round, but with the main part of the glove compromised it was really hard to trust it. i have issues with it's durability after a 45 min. practice session and one round it is being reduced to a range glove.

I am sad to hear that. Maybe I'll have to put function over style for my next glove

i was really sad about it i love the way the glove looks but it just isnt worth the money to pay for a glove that wont hold up. i have another round Mon. taking the Adidas for a trip

i was really sad about it i love the way the glove looks but it just isnt worth the money to pay for a glove that wont hold up. i have another round Mon. taking the Adidas for a trip

Its funny, I have used POW gloves in the past when we reviewed them and we had NO issues whatsoever. In fact I used one for months in the FL heat and humidity. Im wondering if they changed somehow or changed production. What a shame. I love honest hard working feedback, that is exactly why we do these, so people can find out exactly how others are doing with them. Great stuff.

Can the glove information be put into categories on the homepage with who is testing what with their thoughts?

Can the glove information be put into categories on the homepage with who is testing what with their thoughts?

Possibly at the end of the testing.

Sounds good.

Ladies' FootJoy SofJoy and Mizzuno Full Cabretta Retroflex.

Generally, my previous impressions held true through my second range session: I grew more fond of the Mizzy and less fond of the SofJoy.

Again, I found the SofJoy's microfiber to be perspiration-enhancing rather than perspiration-evaporating. And perhaps most disappointingly, the very thin leather of the palm-side continued to stretch -- so much so that I began to feel uncomfortable using the glove. The thumb particularly stretched and then bunched up in my right hand, making my grip very bulky and prone to slippage -- which is exactly the opposite of what lots of folks use a glove for. I would say that this glove would probably be adequate if you bought it a size smaller than your regular size, and if you only used it for drives (but not irons, etc.).

The Mizzy continued to hold its own, being comfortable despite my initial worries about the large (for me) thumb. It did not stretch, provided adequate feel, decent shock absorption, and felt good on my hand. Because I go through gloves quickly, I was pretty surprised by the fact that it retained its shape, feel and strength without it seeming as if some huge catcher's mitt was on my hand. I'm really pleased with this glove and the comfort it provides, even through about 100 strikes now.

I honestly don't think I'm going to continue to use the SofJoy, but at my next range/practice session, I'm going to compare the Mizzy to my regular old Bionic Classic, and fwiw, I'll share my impressions with y'all.

Kim

Taylormade Stratus vs. the Mizuno Retroflex.

Overall I still prefer the TM over the Mizuno. I just prefer the fit and feel in the Taylormade. This glove feels really good and I feel like I can feel the grip better. I also think that the TM evaporates sweat better then the Mizuno. I still like the Mizuno glove a lot but the Taylormade Stratus might just be one of my new favorite gloves.

Back