• I replace my clubs before the grips wear out

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
How many here play stock grips? See the poll above and answer please. Thanks.

For me it depends. I tend to switch them out, but some are really awesome and I keep them. The grips that come on the Adams New Idea hybrids (AG4 Multi-Texture Grip) are awesome and I've kept them. I also love the grip that comes on the Wilson Staff FG Tour TC wedges (Perfomance Plus 3Gen Wedge grip; and Lamkin sent me some spares, love those guys!). For my irons, I swapped them out for the Golf Pride MCC4 Plus.

I voted I play what is stock until they wear out and switch. The last few clubs I have bought/acquired new have had higher quality grips on them (BB 815, PM60, MD3, G30 LS) so I haven't felt the need to switch. But once they wear out, I'm going to my trusty NDMC grips.

A few stock grips I'll change immediately, but recently I like that OEM's are stepping up and offering options to stock so you don't have to mess with it.

I chose I play until worn and then switch. Rarely have I ever immediately switched. Those were the days of TV stock options all around. Currently have stock on my driver, both 3w's I play, heavenwood irons, and wedges. In fairness the driver, 1 3w, and irons were stock stuff sent for testing. However I'm not sure I would immediately change them if I had purchased them. Maybe the irons, I just don't care for the grips Srixon used on them, but they are fine. Been saying I was going to change my grips on my wedges since I got them in the spring, and have yet to do so.

I play a little of both. On my irons, i tend to play what's stock (typically GP Tour velvet) and then change them out when they get worn. On my woods, i usually swap out the stock grip for GP NDMC.

I voted stock until worn. However, they've all got to match or I'm going to have a fit, so if I were to add a new club to the bag I think I would probably replace that one.

It depends, I leave the stock ones on and give them a try for a few rounds, if I like them then they stay if not I put on what I like.

Callaway has upped their game on stock grips, but I'll usually get them to add 4 wraps on there. I'm a big NDMC fan, so if a club doesn't come with that, I'll usually be swapping over soon.

Unless I've custom ordered them with different grips (so...not stock to begin with anyway) I'll switch immediately. 1) I don't like most stock grip offerings. 2) I prefer the tape built up in a certain way. So something has to change typically.

I always order clubs with the grips off, even if i want to use them, so i can put on with air. But lately i just have a pile of stock grips lying around.

i would have voted for: "i get fitted and the clubs come to me with my preferred grip," but that uber-douche elitist response wasn't available, so i voted for "i switch the minute i get my clubs." i'm a head case, and any small distraction in a swing can be the difference between a good shot and a bad shot. if i take some swings and don't like the grips, they're gone asap. but i have and currently play stock grips on some of my clubs because they're working for me.

I always seem to find stock grips are just that stock. Cheap and slippery. I always prefer NDMC or Utx

I tend to switch grips the minute I get them. I prefer Lamkin grips and I also need to add a couple of wraps to the grip. I do like it when ordering directly through the OEM that more and more there are grip options as well as being able to indicate number of wraps.

Unless custom grip selection is not offered, grips are replaced. Normal sized grips without additional wrap is not ideal for me, so I need to tweak them if planning on bagging the club for a while.

Callaway has upped their game on stock grips, but I'll usually get them to add 4 wraps on there. I'm a big NDMC fan, so if a club doesn't come with that, I'll usually be swapping over soon.
Same for me, if a club comes with the NDMC, I leave it. If not, I switch it immediately.

I like having all my grips the same, so I keep plenty on hand and the stock grip never sees the course.

I'm usually pretty cool with stock grips until I butt trim a club or something and then switch to something I prefer.

They are usually horrible cheap crap grips that get the razor knife as soon as the plastic comes off. I don't mind this as it would be stupid for them to install an expensive grip that only a small portion of buyers would keep.

I chose I play whatever comes on my clubs. But, I could've chosen I switch the minute I get my clubs

When I order new sticks, I always request a certain grip.

Never use the stock grips - I use midsize grips so the stock grips come off immediately.

It's dependent on what grip comes with the clubs. A tour velvet gets removed immediately or any stock ping grips.

I use the stock grips. I have changed 2 grips in my current bag. The only reason was, 1 club didn't have a grip when I bought it (which needs replaced now), and the driver I had a new shaft put in and needed a grip. I've got my stock Cally grips on my x-22's and the wedges.

Stock grips are a BIG deal to me. So many companies put TEEEERRIBLE grips on their clubs so 9/10 times I change immediately if the clubs are staying in my bag. Some companies have gotten a lot better about their offerings though, others still suck (I'm looking at you PING).

I usually play with whatever comes on the club. Unless I get a choice, then I'll grab something I like more so, but it's usually not that big of a deal for me. That's sort of why I wear a glove.

Back