Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

I've always just gamed stock shaft options so I'm really looking forward to seeing what shaft I get paired up with. I still am leaning towards the CF as my gamers but it's hard to say without hitting the Pro's. But man these are gorgeous clubs

I just checked Fairway Jockey and most likely they will have these once they are released, they have all brands and order from the factory. They have the F15 for a $699.00 upcharge, seems like they have most any shaft you want. I bought my 745's from them, great folks.

If I am lucky and earn a bonus this year, then I am ordering 4-AW with Recoil 110s.

I've always just gamed stock shaft options so I'm really looking forward to seeing what shaft I get paired up with. I still am leaning towards the CF as my gamers but it's hard to say without hitting the Pro's. But man these are gorgeous clubs

Embrace the cup face. It will blow your mind.

Embrace the cup face. It will blow your mind.

Yup. I know I can game the Pros but there is no scenario in my head why they are the better choice then the CF 16s.

Yup. I know I can game the Pros but there is no scenario in my head why they are the better choice then the CF 16s.

Smart man

I'm pretty much the same way. I have ZERO doubt I can rock the hell out of the Pro's, but I'm not seeing a reason that I would.

With that said though, I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple guys end up with the Pro's in December at all. Rock what works.

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Preview

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Preview

My current Apex are my all time favorite iron. I'm pretty pumped for the Apex CF. The shaft is my only question mark at this point. Like the Recoils, and could easily see myself with those again, but definitely going to look at other shaft options.

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus using Tapatalk

Dreaming of these for December, but overall can't wait to see what the fitters have to say, but these are the apple of my eye! #smitten

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Pretty excited to give these a try, I like the original and still have a set. These look more powerful in the screen shots while retaining most the same look of the original - glad to see it wasn't a radical change.

Still dreaming of these. Love the smaller compact look compared to the GBB's

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm really disappointed in the looks. I bought a set of Apexes because they're so amazing looking, just totally classy. The new ones turn me off, too much going on with the stickers in the cavity.

Everytime I look at these I cannot get over how good they look. I honestly am more excited about these than anything Cally has released since the OG Apexes. I have no doubt these will be better.

Cannot wait to get these in hand. Look SOOOOOO much better in terms of profile than the previous version IMO.

Everytime I look at these I cannot get over how good they look. I honestly am more excited about these than anything Cally has released since the OG Apexes. I have no doubt these will be better.

Agreed. The regular and I didn't get along as well as I did with the pros, but I have a feeling this time around it would be very much the opposite. These just look like they want to be hit very far and very straight.

Agreed. The regular and I didn't get along as well as I did with the pros, but I have a feeling this time around it would be very much the opposite. These just look like they want to be hit very far and very straight.

Cup Face FTW!

I love the profile when compared to the originals. Just seem a bit more sleek everywhere. I imagine with all of the shaft options available, most will be able to make these work for them

I couldn't agree more. I'll buy some OG Apex again bc they are such a damn good set, but these look amazing. The badging is well done and the lines compared to the pro version are not that far off. Throw in the cup face and I'm sold.

Cannot wait to get these in hand. Look SOOOOOO much better in terms of profile than the previous version IMO.

That was my thought after the photos jb posted..

Better all around IMO, the color/finish, the amount of offset, and the toe shape all are better looking in my eyes

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I was on the fence with the looks, but like them better than the Original. In hand they are most likely better looking.

These kind of remind me of the original tour forged (from 2007 I think) with the way the cavity is formed and loved those irons.

Last edited:
To me, these feel so much better than the previous version of the Callaway Apex. From the flush hits to the off center misses, the new Apex are a big advancement over it's predecessor.

Todays 9 holes in a word was "solid".
First off at setup, if you liked the previous set, you are going to love this set. Similar profile and there is a confidence with the sole and weighting there that is rather unique to me. Comparing them side by side, I could not tell a huge difference in terms of sound. Its a bit deeper here for me for the sound and the feedback across the face is very similar. These do in a weird way have a deeper and softer feel to them. Could be anything however and I am not ready to give too much info on that after a single range session and 9 holes.

One thing to note here is that before the round I hit both 6 irons on the FlightScope for 20 minutes. What was interesting was less spin (about 400 RPMs on average) yet with a higher launch (1.3 degrees) and 7 feet higher peak height. It equated to (according to flightscope) about 2.9 yards more carry for me compared to the previous 6 iron. Its not a distance thing for me, with this set, but something I enjoyed nonetheless.

People want to know about forgiveness, well its hard to say this early. I will have more on this coming soon, but according to FlightScope, missing towards the toe resulted in very little distance loss with the 6 iron. I did not miss towards the heel despite trying once and nearly whiffing. Missing low on the club face showed a true star here as the ball speed and spin never wavered. Missing high saw a small zap in ball speed, but no more than any other iron I have tested as of late.

It was only 9 holes, but so far I am pretty happy with what I saw. More coming soon over the next few weeks.

Todays 9 holes in a word was "solid".
First off at setup, if you liked the previous set, you are going to love this set. Similar profile and there is a confidence with the sole and weighting there that is rather unique to me. Comparing them side by side, I could not tell a huge difference in terms of sound. Its a bit deeper here for me for the sound and the feedback across the face is very similar. These do in a weird way have a deeper and softer feel to them. Could be anything however and I am not ready to give too much info on that after a single range session and 9 holes.

One thing to note here is that before the round I hit both 6 irons on the FlightScope for 20 minutes. What was interesting was less spin (about 400 RPMs on average) yet with a higher launch (1.3 degrees) and 7 feet higher peak height. It equated to (according to flightscope) about 2.9 yards more carry for me compared to the previous 6 iron. Its not a distance thing for me, with this set, but something I enjoyed nonetheless.

People want to know about forgiveness, well its hard to say this early. I will have more on this coming soon, but according to FlightScope, missing towards the toe resulted in very little distance loss with the 6 iron. I did not miss towards the heel despite trying once and nearly whiffing. Missing low on the club face showed a true star here as the ball speed and spin never wavered. Missing high saw a small zap in ball speed, but no more than any other iron I have tested as of late.

It was only 9 holes, but so far I am pretty happy with what I saw. More coming soon over the next few weeks.
On your next opportunity can you test the gapping between 7 and 8 irons? I'm very curious as the xr and xr pro with cup face were way longer than apex for me. Definitely curious how they managed the potential distance gap between the cup face and non cup face

On your next opportunity can you test the gapping between 7 and 8 irons? I'm very curious as the xr and xr pro with cup face were way longer than apex for me. Definitely curious how they managed the potential distance gap between the cup face and non cup face

I sure can. Didnt notice anything out of the ordinary for me today however.

Back